Listened to you guys & it worked!

Jayfo

I have been lurking around these boards for weeks gathering up as much info as possible before our 4 night Majesty cruise and I really took into account what people have recommended. The majority of the time, CC posters were right on the money! I'm just back from my cruise (and having the unpacking blues :( ) but I thought I would share a few things that you guys have mentioned......

Leaving early & staying overnight before the cruise in a hotel was something I had never considered until reading it here and it was a great idea to actually sniff around Miami for the night. No rushing from the airport to the ship for us!

Booked Holiday Inn Port of Miami and asked for a bayside room to view the ships. Perfect!

Used Tri-County Limo service for a private car to take us from FLL to the hotel and it was cheaper than a taxi.

Having a smaller, carry on bag with us as we boarded the ship with stuff we would need poolside was great!

Seeking out one great bartender and tipping him well the first day proved to be the ticket to STRONG drinks, freebies, etc. (Look for Hector & Carl at the pool bar! :p)

As silly as my DH thought I was for busting out the pink hi-lighter to mark the daily activy list on the Cruise Compass, it came in mighty handy when we stared at it trying to find out what to do next.

Did 3 major excursions- Dolphin Encounter in Nassau, Parasailing in Coco Cay, and Snuba in Key West. All were SPECTACULAR, expensive :eek: , but totally worth it. The reviews on these boards really helped me narrow down which excursions to do.

Did not use the over-the-door clear pocket shoe holder for our stuff at all. I found there to be plenty of room on the shelves in our bathroom for toiletries, etc.

I packed a power strip for extra outlets- I needed them! Next time I'll bring one that actually works, though! :(

I really wish I done more reading and research on the boards for picking a cabin...I had a room that quite possibly was the WORST cabin on the ship... Don't pick #7504! Aside from being the size of an airplane bathroom with a slanted ceiling, it was oceanview without the benefit of BEING oceanview. Located at the very front of the ship, it provided the peep show some may be looking for on the promenade deck if I would have opened the heavy drapes!:eek:

I asked at check in, at the pier coordinator, and the purser's desk after sailing for a room change but the ship was full.

We encountered no chair hogs, bed bugs, or overly obnoxious people to really write home about. The ship was full but you would have never known it.

All in all, I'm so glad I found you guys because there were so many things I have learned in these past few weeks to help make my vacation better and I am grateful to you for it.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know!

I really wish I done more reading and research on the boards for picking a cabin...I had a room that quite possibly was the WORST cabin on the ship... Don't pick #7504! Aside from being the size of an airplane bathroom with a slanted ceiling, it was oceanview without the benefit of BEING oceanview. Located at the very front of the ship, it provided the peep show some may be looking for on the promenade deck if I would have opened the heavy drapes!:eek:

I asked at check in, at the pier coordinator, and the purser's desk after sailing for a room change but the ship was full.

I had 7504 on my Monarch cruise and felt the same way. I got what a paid for though, since I booked an oceanview guarantee. We had the added bonus of people having a party outside our room on the promenade deck in the middle of the night each night.

It would be interesting if we could somehow learn what the "repeat cruiser" rate is for first timers that have found these message boards compared to those who have not.

I would conject that folks who learn just these sorts of tips here on the CC message boards are much more likely to go on another cruise than those who just show up and find out things the hard way, if at all.

If we could prove this theory, the cruise lines should fund these boards straight up, without even advertising! :)

Theron

It would be interesting if we could somehow learn what the "repeat cruiser" rate is for first timers that have found these message boards compared to those who have not.

I would conject that folks who learn just these sorts of tips here on the CC message boards are much more likely to go on another cruise than those who just show up and find out things the hard way, if at all.

If we could prove this theory, the cruise lines should fund these boards straight up, without even advertising! :)

Theron

Amen!

These boards are great! The only thing--I've never had to "tip" in advance to get a strong drink!! All of our mixed drinks have been way over the top, alcohol-wise! Didn't seem to matter which bar or bartender we used!!! So folks, save you tips 'til the end of the cruise--you will be served like royalty anyway!

Thanks for posting this, many people don't come back and report like you do. I know I've learned a ton of stuff on this board and sometimes try to share ideas with others.

The only comment I'll give about pre-tipping is the one that cb wrote, we've never done it and still seem to get the same service as everyone who reports here that does. Not that it is a bad idea, just not really necessary. We have given extra tips to bar servers at the end of the cruise, after they have consistently given us great service during the week. I'll add that some of the time we don't even order alcoholic drinks from them, they have even come consistently to us after we have ordered just ice water.

The over the door shoe holder is really not intended for in the bathroom use, it probably wouldn't fit in there anyway. We use it for outside the bathroom door, to hold things like sunglasses, papers, seapass cards, hairbrushes, visors and even shoes, it keeps the clutter inside the cabin to a minimum. It's especially useful for cabins that have more than 2 people.

I only mention these things because some people may think the suggestions aren't useful, or that they won't get great service without pre-tipping. Some suggestions work great for some, not so great for others.

Archived