Light "weighty" story:

TedC

An elegantly-dressed woman is shopping on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

A homeless man approaches her and says: " Ma'am, I haven't eaten in three days."

The woman quickly responds: "God, I wish I had your willpower."

Yup I felt bad, and then I realized I felt the same.

I wish I didn't have a choice about food. I know sounds sad.

I just wish I didn't have a problem with food.

I can tell you exactly what to do to loose weight, and what to eat to loose....... but just to do it. Now that's the problem.

TedC...I'm having second thoughts...that was funny...and I did laugh...but it does sorta make fun of a homeless person !! so I'm feeling kinda torn about that...

I think the joke makes fun of the airhead, Hollywood type of people whose main concern in life is starving themselves in an attempt to be ridiculously thin more than it makes fun of homeless people. It's definitely a controversial joke, but those are usually the most interesting!

I think the joke makes fun of the airhead, Hollywood type of people whose main concern in life is starving themselves in an attempt to be ridiculously thin more than it makes fun of homeless people. It's definitely a controversial joke, but those are usually the most interesting!

Laughing is healthy - and I hope Perky's not the only one who got the joke.

I also think the joke makes fun of the person who probably throws away more food than the homeless person eats in order to be "skinny"

Have you people seen these articles where they are trying to regulate how skinny models can be? It's an effort to stop promoting such skinniness as being the standard perfect womanhood!

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411423/831182

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/13/spain.models/index.html

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060919/2006-09-19T124210Z_01_DEL95004_RTRIDST_0_ODD-INDIA-MODELS1-DC.html

Sha

Hi Sha....yes, I read about that happening in Spain....and I see other countries are following suit....I think it's excellent....I wonder how the models feel about it....hopefully they see it as protection for them....

Hi Sha....yes, I read about that happening in Spain....and I see other countries are following suit....I think it's excellent....I wonder how the models feel about it....hopefully they see it as protection for them....

Maybe not. Right now the ones who get work are the ones who can maintain the low BMI's. It stands to reason that the lower the BMI (or the skinnier they want the models to be) the fewer women there are who can maintain that - therefore there are fewer women to compete against for jobs. If countries can successfully regulate the modeling industry, there will automatically be more women who can achieve & maintain the new, less stringent levels of thinness, so competition could be tougher for jobs. The models "win" by not having to be so skinny they endanger their health, but still could "lose out" in how often they are employed if there's a larger pool of employable women.

hmmmmmm :confused:

I think the real winners will be the rest of us who are not bombarded by the skinny women in the magazines. I LOVE those Dove ads with REAL women in them. THOSE are the NORMAL sizes & shapes we come in!

Sha

I hadn't thought about the increase in competition....wow, now that's a double-edged sword...we haven't come very far from the "twiggy" days, have we....

yes it will be great to have normal-sized women as role models for the younger ones....let's hope they can shift their attitudes ....I can't imagine what it must be like for a high-school aged gal facing those low-cut pants...unless you're super-skinny, there's no way you can sit in those and not spill over the top...why is it that females consistently want to wear uncomfortable, unhealthy, impractical clothing...here's an area where we could take some hints from the guys...now they know how to be comfortable !!

Archived