FLL Best Western Oakland Park Inn?

Commieri

:eek: My sister booked this for two couples in March pre cruise. We got the "mature"rate UGH but I worry because it seems almost too cheap-$118 for King non-smoking. Everything else I've looked at seems at least $160 and up. Trip Advisor mostly has decent reviews but would love to hear from you all.

anyone stay here??.. it's on north federal hwy in FLL. Think we could get a shuttle to port for a price and probably eliminate need to rent a car.

If I can shuttle in from airport and into port, would the distance matter? I'm thinking that if there is a decent resturant nearby for the one pre-cruise dinner, we would be ok.

We're going peak season March 4th so all the hotels, even the "moderate ones" are pretty high.

Anyone else have a comment about this place?

If no one has a comment, it's probably because no one has stayed there. I wouldn't either. Due to the location and age of the property.

Reading some of the suggestions on this thread and checking their prices, should find you a hotel in a more convenient area.

Good luck, MaryAnn

I live here...and agree that the location is NOT great

OK in the day...not that good at night..Federal Highway is very very busy, many accidents, watch if you try to cross the street

Avoid eating at the Mai Kai...horrible overpriced chinese food, tho it is pretty and has a fun polynesian revue...it has been here forever. Federal Highway used to be a much nicer area. For what the Mai Kai would cost you could get a better hotel JMO

You are pretty near the Coral Ridge Mall...some fast food,chain places drugstore, publix..you could stock up on stuff there...

you will also be near Ft Lauderdale Ale House, kind of standard bar food type place...and J.Alexander restaurant which is a cut above TGIF food

I think the Best western may be ok, not great. There are some other really bad motels on Federal tho. It is ok at day, but I would not want to be out there at night.

You may want to take a cab back from wherever you eat or order in a pizza.

Not trying to be a bummer...but the truth of Ft Lauderdale is that it is NOT that great unless you are in the tourist area *beaches, 17th causeway or out in the boring suburbs

The cost of taxis may make the tourist/beach/17th causeway a better choice. Public transportation , especially at night, is a joke here. You really need a rental car but if only one night that is another expense and hassle.

thanks to both of you . I will keep checking the other suggestions here but the very confusing thing is that I usually look at Trip Advisor reviews too and some that great raves here have bad bad comments. I think you never really know til you see it. I don't need luxury.. just decent, clean and quiet for under $150.. in March.. I guess I'll keep looking.

There have been discussions before on this board about this thread compared to Trip Advisor(TA). The consensus was that the people on this board are more believable and are composed of people who have more in common.

You seem more inclined to believe a bad review as opposed to a good review. And the bad ones are on TA, believing them and not the ones here. With that dilemma, you won't stay anywhere:p

Just stay where you are, don't go out at night, enjoy your cruise and let us know how it was when you get back.

Have a very good time, MaryAnn

I agree with Wow that TA reviews can differ from here, you do have to try to gauge the reviewer.

One thing is to try to figure out where the reviewer is from, approx age etc.

For instance, on TA you will see young people "rave" about a motel cause they have been staying in hostels

You will also see people from the UK rave about common USA chain restaurants *I visit orlando a lot and have seen this on the Orlando boards LOL..some europeans are fascinated by HUGE american portions at TGIF and the bountiful buffets of mediocre food at places like Golden Corral etc

So you have to look at where people are coming from..

One thing I find odd on the CC board is that when there are bad reviews of a hotel, a ship, etc people who are booked there will say stuff like "oh please tell me something good...please doesn't anyone have a good review" etc...

the fact is that when stuff is bad, often there is no good review

Yes, one could say that this hotel is wonderful....but it would be a lie, it might make you feel better but a lie.

I have not been in that area much in years, was there last year when a friend was in the hospital on Fed Highway....one day I ate lunch at J Alexanders..it was ok. They have an Original Pancake house which I have eaten at in the suburbs and it is usually good. The area is ok in the day, many doctor offices and stuff, some furniture stores,

At night?? NOT a good or safe place to be.

You might be better off eating at the hotel or ordering pizza or chinese food delivered rather than walking too far or late at night here.

You could probably walk to the few restaurants I have mentioned with no problem but this is really not an area where you want to be out drinking and walking and bar hopping at night without a car.

Archived