Anyone Recently back w/under 21 yrs old?

crazybus

Has anyone been on a cruise lately, since they changed the drinking age to 21? My daughter is going with me on a cruise in a month, we booked this cruise 14 months ago but they recently changed the drinking age to 21 for caribbean cruises. Has anyone had problems being served in the clubs? She has been looking forward to going to the clubs with me but now she is very disappointed. It states that you must be over 18 to enter the clubs but 21 to drink? Help!!

We do plan on stopping at Carlo's & Charlie's while in Aruba. I don't understand why South American and European cruises the age is still 18 with parental consent but not in the caribbean. I did research and she is legal in all the ports, except of course Miami and Key West! There are all the cocktail parties on board that she will attend and they won't know her age then!

There are all the cocktail parties on board that she will attend and they won't know her age then!

Don't count on it! There is far more attention paid to this now than before. And they pretty much know all the scams, as under age drinking is not some recent trend.

I just cruised with my two 19 YO nephews. Their ship card shows their age when scanned so using her mom's will likely raise a red flag. They were asked to show their card to get in the clubs at night and were not served alcohol. They had no problem in port and did have "older" ladies offer to buy them drinks on the ship.

The bartenders can now be fired if they serve someone under age so I personally would think twice about putting an employee in that position just so that your daughter can drink.:cool:

this is in no way kosher, but a friend of mine who is Legal where she is from (Canada) but not legal in Alaska where she was just used her mother's card. I never saw anyone carded other than that their ships id.

Just back from Mariner with 19 yo and they do ask for your seapass going into the clubs and this has all your information on it including your age.

Has anyone been on a cruise lately, since they changed the drinking age to 21? My daughter is going with me on a cruise in a month, we booked this cruise 14 months ago but they recently changed the drinking age to 21 for caribbean cruises. Has anyone had problems being served in the clubs? She has been looking forward to going to the clubs with me but now she is very disappointed. It states that you must be over 18 to enter the clubs but 21 to drink? Help!!

There are ways around it...switching cards,having someone else buy the drinks,etc. But just what kind of message are you sending to your daughter by subverting the rules?If it doesn't matter to you ,you won't have a problem.

There is a reason that age limits have been established for drinking.Most parents would contend that their kids are "different" however.And since you bring up Carlos and Charlie's in Aruba,ask the parents of Natalie Holliway.

There are ways around it...switching cards,having someone else buy the drinks,etc. But just what kind of message are you sending to your daughter by subverting the rules?If it doesn't matter to you ,you won't have a problem.

There is a reason that age limits have been established for drinking.Most parents would contend that their kids are "different" however.And since you bring up Carlos and Charlie's in Aruba,ask the parents of Natalie Holliway.

I think that's uncalled for. The OP was just wondering about the incosistency of the rule (I also wonder why it's only Caribbean cruises) and how Celebrity intends to enforce the rule. I'm sure that the daughter had been looking forward to drinking on the cruise and is not disappointed. It's not underage drinking if it's legal. And it will be legal. Celebrity policy will be the only thing keeping her from drinking. I consider that on par with no bringing alcohol onboard rule. Again, the OP never mentioned condoning breaking the law or even breaking X rules, so I think we can tone down the whole your-daughter-will-end-up-like Natalie-Holloway thing.

I think that's uncalled for. The OP was just wondering about the incosistency of the rule (I also wonder why it's only Caribbean cruises) and how Celebrity intends to enforce the rule. I'm sure that the daughter had been looking forward to drinking on the cruise and is not disappointed. It's not underage drinking if it's legal. And it will be legal. Celebrity policy will be the only thing keeping her from drinking. I consider that on par with no bringing alcohol onboard rule.

So the only rules that should be enforced are the ones you agree with?:cool:

Celebrity does get to make the rules and enforce them as well. Their ship, their rules.

The rule is not "inconsistent". And there are always folks who will do whatever they have to do to get around the rules they do not care for.

And it not only Caribbean cruises. It applies to all cruises embarking in North America.

If my previous post is read in its entirety, it states that the OP is probably just wondering how X intends to enforce the rules. It also states that the OP never said that he/she condones breaking the rules. I'm not sure what initiated the whole tirade. And having a different policy for only for North America doesn't qualify as being inconsistent?:confused:

the US is now uniformly at 21, I can remember when it wasn't. Some states were 21 thers 18, and the 18, 19, and 21 would flock to theses state borders to party. The problem was many came back drunk. Some were killed in auto accidents, orthers injured for life or jailed after killing someone. Funny but at the time we thought why should our state be different than another...It really inconsistant.

What X has now done is level itsself off across the industry. All of the other lines I've cruised have a minimum age of 21, including Carnival 'the party ship". The waiver that X used to have you sign, and still does for some cruises only enables you your child to buy beer or wine. Nothing else.

Just a hypothetical....If a family moves to the US from Europe, and thier 16 year old has been accustomed to drinking wine all of his life responsibly, shouldn't he be able to purchas and consume alcohol in this country? Personally I think yes, but socially it would cause and uproar.

Just my take.

Dave:eek:

I think that's uncalled for. The OP was just wondering about the incosistency of the rule (I also wonder why it's only Caribbean cruises) and how Celebrity intends to enforce the rule. I'm sure that the daughter had been looking forward to drinking on the cruise and is not disappointed. It's not underage drinking if it's legal. And it will be legal. Celebrity policy will be the only thing keeping her from drinking. I consider that on par with no bringing alcohol onboard rule. Again, the OP never mentioned condoning breaking the law or even breaking X rules, so I think we can tone down the whole your-daughter-will-end-up-like Natalie-Holloway thing.

Respectfully ,we differ,but I don't need lectures from you on the matter either.I am simply stating my opinion in a post.

The OP is the one who said that she could bring her daughter to cocktail parties"where they won't know her age!" The intention is clearly to get around the rules,which Celebrity certainly has a right to establish.My questioning setting this kind example, is my point.

Her statement that her daughter,not being able to drink,will be "very disappointed" is also interesting.

With regard to the tragedy of Natalie,she opened the door when she brought up Carlos and Charlie's in Aruba. It is a place of dubious destinction.

Respectfully ,we differ,but I don't need lectures from you on the matter either.I am simply stating my opinion in a post.

The OP is the one who said that she could bring her daughter to cocktail parties"where they won't know her age!" The intention is clearly to get around the rules,which Celebrity certainly has a right to establish.My questioning setting this kind example, is my point.

Her statement that her daughter,not being able to drink,will be "very disappointed" is also interesting.

With regard to the tragedy of Natalie,she opened the door when she brought up Carlos and Charlie's in Aruba. It is a place of dubious destinction.

The OP is the one who said that she could bring her daughter to cocktail parties - No, the OP said "There are all the cocktail parties on board that she will attend and they won't know her age then!". I took it to mean that he/she was wondering about X's intent on enforcement of the policy.

Her statement that her daughter,not being able to drink,will be "very disappointed" is also interesting. - I"m sure that she's the only young person who would be disappointed at not being able to drink at a place where she's legally allowed to drink.:rolleyes:

With regard to the tragedy of Natalie,she opened the door when she brought up Carlos and Charlie's in Aruba. It is a place of dubious destinction. - So everyone who visited Carlos and Charlie's is asking to be attacked? I'm pretty sure that those who think that it's a place of dubious distinction must have been in there. I hope they knew what they were in for.:eek: :rolleyes:

People kill me....and I'm not even in Carlos and Charlies!!!:D

I have to agree with Drfun. The problem with much of society today is that we teach our kids how to get away with breaking the rules and not how to follow them. It doesn't really matter who likes the new rules or not, there are there, period. and the consequences could lead to having a staff member fired, or a passenger supplying liquor to a minor removed from the ship, without recourse.

The legal age in the US is 21, most ships its 21.

As for the Aruba reference, sorry, but its relevent, and a reality whether you like it or not. Not sure if you ever went anywhere out of the country as a class trip, but the kids go wild, and for the most part don't know their limits. Look at the 'gone wild' videos, and try and remember all the parents behind the kids who were thinking or saying..." My child was brought up well, they wouldn't behave like that...." and there they are drunk and exposing themselves to the world, not to mention engaging in sex and doing drugs.

Her statement that her daughter,not being able to drink,will be "very disappointed" is also interesting. - I"m sure that she's the only young person who would be disappointed at not being able to drink at a place where she's legally allowed to drink.:rolleyes:

!!!

The fact is that will NOT be in a place where she is legally allowed to drink. She is on a ship and their rules apply. In ports where the drinking age is 18, she can drink as much as she wants.

The only rules that count are the ones in place where she is at that moment, and rules that pertain to another country or cruise line are meaningless.

Disappointed or not, those are the facts.

Thank you, Tuna!!! As being of legal age to have a drink, in the states the legal limit is 21 but in most other countries it is 18 or, there is no legal limit at all!!! I never said that I would let my daughter tie one on!! But it is nice to go to a club and have a cocktail. I have read too many stories about people going overboard after a night of partying and if you look at the age of these people you will see that 98% of them are over the age of 21!!! As for Carlo's and Charlie's, I would never let her go there herself or any other bar for that matter.

Isn't Celebrity a Bahamian Registry? If so, the legal age in the Bahamas is 18!!! So there is my point!! This question wasn't about letting someone 19 years of age get intoxicated, it was a question of a cocktail.

Isn't Celebrity a Bahamian Registry? If so, the legal age in the Bahamas is 18!!! So there is my point!! This question wasn't about letting someone 19 years of age get intoxicated, it was a question of a cocktail.

Where a ship is registered has nothing to do with the drinking age onboard.:confused:

X makes the rules, not the Bahamas. I truly do not understand why this so difficult to comprehend.

No, she is not allowed to buy a cocktail. Can you find a way around it? Where there is a will, there is generally a way.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think it is irresponsible as a parent to even be having this conversation. As for the 21 waiver thing, you daughter would only be able to have a glass of wine or a beer as in the past, not a cocktail...so that ends the cocktail discussion right off the bat.

Do I think its unfair? I really don't know...but had you booked any other cruise line the answer to you and your daughter going to clubs for a cocktail would have been 'No' with out question.

I think she will have a great time with a club soda and lime, or a virgin mixed drink as many do...I really can't understand your persistance to pursuing the accessablility of alcohol to your daughter. Most parents would prefer if their kids didn't drink.

The ports you are stopping at will allow her to drink, so for both of you its not a total wash. And if you or she gets caught doing something and you suffer the consequences, please don't post how X ruined your vacation. We all have choices to make, try and make the right one in this situation.

Thank you, Tuna!!! As being of legal age to have a drink, in the states the legal limit is 21 but in most other countries it is 18 or, there is no legal limit at all!!! I never said that I would let my daughter tie one on!! But it is nice to go to a club and have a cocktail. I have read too many stories about people going overboard after a night of partying and if you look at the age of these people you will see that 98% of them are over the age of 21!!! As for Carlo's and Charlie's, I would never let her go there herself or any other bar for that matter.

I think it is a hot topic,because we see all too many roadside memorials these days and passions run high.The fact that most of the people going "overboard" are over 21 is simple a function of the fact that most of the drinkers on cruise ships are over 21.The truth is that no matter the age,excessive drinking was the problem. Since no sixteen year olds have fallen overboard,perhaps we should allow them to drink until they do.

When you asked the original question about your 19 year old daughter being able to drink it did not appear that you were suggesting a single drink at mom's side,or I doubt you would have even bothered to ask.It amazes me that being deprived of that "one" drink would leave her "very disappointed". But if it does , you certainly should be able to satiate her by sneaking her a drink since you are comfortable with that.

I'm sure you'll both have a great cruise either way.

The registry of the ship has nothing to do with its drinking age any more than it would regarding gambling.In the Bahamas gambling is legal,but you can't gamble when in port in Bermuda for example.

The registry of the ship has nothing to do with rules on drinking but more about taxes.

We sailed RCCL Mariner on Aug. 6th. This was the week after they changed the rules for 18yo's. Our 19yo son would go to the disco club with a group of teens and young adults. Yes, they do watch and check. When you enter they check your ID (seapass has your age on it), and let the bartenders know. A couple of girls were 21 and bought drinks to give to others that were not and they were cought.

I guess some of you are not happy unless you have somebody to flame or argue with. Most of you have totally taken the OP's original question way out of context and are now trying to portray her as a poor parent. Step back and truly read what her original question was and what her responses to the onslaught have been.

Underage drinking will never go away and the more we try to suppress it the more it will be done behind our backs and that is where the trouble starts. I much prefer the OP's approach to teach/practice drinking responsibility versus simply saying no. When my kids were that age it was far easier for me to keep my eye on them if they were allowed alcohol in my presence rather than sneaking it elsewhere. For those of you over the age of 70 - when did you start drinking and smoking? Certainly before you were 21!! And my true pet peeve - how can we say that an 18 year old boy is mature enough to die fighting for his country and on the other hand say he is not old enough to drink responsibly?

Now when it comes to breaking rules I suppose none of you have ever broken any?? Did you know it is illegal to drive in the left hand lane of a highway (or any road for that matter) unless you are in the act of passing somebody. How many of you have ever thrown a cigarette butt out the window? How about picking up after your dog? I don't suppose some of you have ever been less than forthcoming with Uncle Sam. How about an affair - statistics show over 50% of married couples cheat on their partners - thats half of you anyways. The list goes on and on and everybody is guilty of breaking numerous rules and regulations on a daily basis.

Just my rant for the day brought on by a zealous un-neccessary overbearing attack of a simple question.

Underage drinking will never go away and the more we try to suppress it the more it will be done behind our backs and that is where the trouble starts. I much prefer the OP's approach to teach/practice drinking responsibility versus simply saying no. When my kids were that age it was far easier for me to keep my eye on them if they were allowed alcohol in my presence rather than sneaking it elsewhere..

You make some erroneous statements and all too broad assertions.You assume that our children will simply drink underage behind our backs because we don't want them too. If they have been raised properly,they will respect your advice and counseling rather than trying to contradict it.Peer pressure can be a factor,but hopefully you will have raised them to think independantly.

Giving them license to drink responsibly when under age signals tacit approval at other times.And while drinking responsibly at home is preferable ,it in no was precludes the likelihood and probably even increases the probability that they will drink on their own.

On the matter of age it is a proven undeniable fact that when the drinking age is lowered to 18,15 and 16 year olds attempt to drink. Why not? They're almost 18.Where does one then draw the line?

This begs the question,"because underage drinking is a problem,should we try to deal with it or not?Not to, is to accept old assertions that are not valid. We no longer live in enviornment of rampant sexual harassment in the workplace,because we stop accepting the fact that it was OK for the boss to have a "little fun" at the expense of his female employees.

Or who would have believed 30 years ago that smoking would ever be banned in bars ,retaurants and ballparks?Aren't these places healthier and safer because it was?

To assert that "kids will be kids" and that they will drink behind our backs shirks the reponsibility and obligation that we have to raise them properly,with not only respect for authority but for the safety and well being of their bodies.

The discussion of whether or not a person can drink because they are old enough to serve and possibly die for their country is a non sequitor.

If they have been raised properly,they will respect your advice and counseling rather than trying to contradict it.

Who is to say which way is proper and which way is not? Everyone has their own morals and their own bottom line and far be it from me to inflict my morals on you or anyone else. So please don't preach your moralistic view to me or anybody else.

It is beyond belief that you consider of no consequence whether someone is of age to die for their country yet not able to drink if they so desire!!

Archived