4 Night PNW ??

MSBYRDY

Marilyn, I'm taking one of these cruises TODAY. Will let you know next week how many nights were which dress code.

My impression (talked to X months ago when I booked) was 2 casual, 1 informal, and 1 formal. Might have changed, but that's how I've packed.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delayed response.

Per your request the suggested dress code is as follows:

Two Night cruises: Both nights will be casual dress

Three Night Cruises: One formal and two casual dress evenings.

Four Night Cruises: One formal, one informal and two casual dress evenings

We read with great interest your comments regarding the attire worn by your fellow

guests onboard the Century. We do expect our guests to comply with our requests;

unfortunately, there may be instances when some guests might not adhere to our recommended

dress code. Nevertheless, your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate

management personnel for their review.

Mr. XXXXXXXX, we look forward to welcoming you, a loyal Captain's Club member

back onboard the Mercury and thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Doris Wilhelm

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-RCXYI]

Hope that helps!

Dave:eek:

Lysa, it really should read "semiformal" because that is what it REALLY is.

Celebrity's interpretation is a dressy pants suit or dress for women and a jacket and collared shirt for men. My DH likes a tie with his jacket, so that's how he dresses for informal nights. I usually bring a dress, usually with a jacket. Sometimes I bring dressy suits.

Good luck!

Nicki

My Friend asked what do they consider casual? I have been on a few different lines, and each line has different standards for Casual. Never cruising on X Before I am not sure how to answer that question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Lysa, it really should read "semiformal" because that is what it REALLY is.

Celebrity's interpretation is a dressy pants suit or dress for women and a jacket and collared shirt for men. My DH likes a tie with his jacket, so that's how he dresses for informal nights. I usually bring a dress, usually with a jacket. Sometimes I bring dressy suits.

Good luck!

Nicki

thanks nicki...:)

Lysa

This is from their site:

dotted_line.gifspacer.gif Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining. Specialty restaurant dining*, requires a jacket for gentlemen and a dress or pants and a blouse for ladies every night.

spacer.gif Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

The women we usually travel with wear nice slacks and a blouse, althought they sometimes wear a dress for casual.

Hope that helps!

Well, after reading this thread, I don't see how anyone knows what to wear or pack, much less what criteria to use for judging everyone else's choices. :rolleyes:

So, for a four night cruise there are --

two casual, one formal, and one informal

or maybe

one formal, one casual, and two informal

or else possibly

one formal and three casual.

And, per the posted quote from the x website, ladies should wear --

informal dress or pants and blouse (not a word often seen nowadays) on informal nights

and

pantsuit (another somewhat dated term?) or sporty outfit (am now picturing a preppy in a headband, swinging a tennis racquet or golf club) for casual nights.

If I'd had to guess which outfit belonged in which category I'd have said that a pantsuit might be dressier than pants and blouse, but apparently not. I'll eat elsewhere on formal night, and I'm sure I'll manage to dress myself for the other three nights, and it will all be fine, but, really, this "guide to the appropriate evening attire" is more silly and pretentious than helpful.:)

I grew up with many of the same definitions X uses so let me shed some light on it.

Formal REALLY means a tux or dinner jacket for men, a cocktail dress or gown for women . ( This has been downgraded to include a dark suit for men, which is really NOT formal, and suit pants with sparkley tops for women, which may be festive but are really NOT formal, however by our newer more casual standards they have become acceptable)

Informal is NOT Semi-formal ( although some use that definition as a reference ). Informal is a jacket and tie for men, and a dressy outfit for women. A dress with a jacket, a pant suit outfit. Think about what a professional would wear to work. A lawyer, stock broker...etc....Or think about your "Sunday best"...

Casual means casual, not street. No jeans ( regardless of cut or color ), no t-shirts, flip flops shorts, Casual does not mean backyard BBQ. Casual for X means what you'd wear to have dinner with friends, maybe go out on a saturday night to town.....Or business casual to better define.

For men it means Dockers, or casual dress pants and a sport shirt ( Hawaiian, polo, madras, a long sleeve shirt, or a sweater. ) for Women its basically the same. Maybe a skirt and sweater, sundress, pants and a blouse, and that tricky definition that X uses 'pantsuit', in some other countries are what we used to call 'Jumpsuits' ...the one piece outfits that were popular in the late 70s and 80s. You can see these in reruns of the 'Love Boat', Charlies Angels, and others.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

IF I were a female and going on a three day or four day, bear with me, I'd pack a cocktail dress, a couple of blouses, one sparkley one, a silky pair of pants, a casual skirt or dockers, or those 3/4 things, and a sweater.

I'd wear jeans and sneakers to board the ship, and use those for excursions.

Thanks, bububr. I'm quite new at this cruising thing, and lead a very informal life on shore, so the dress suggestions alternately amuse, annoy, reassure, and unnerve me, in no particular order. I'm sure we'll have a great time, and not be conspicuous by our dress :).

I've been enjoying your review, by the way. I love reviews that are like short stories, rather than just opionions/pros/cons.

Maybe it varies from week to week because I just called customer service and they said 1 formal, 3 casual on the cruise leaving Oct. 9th (PNW).

I'm on the October 9th sailing also, and I received the same answer from Celebrity a few weeks ago. I guess I'll call two more times before sailing and take the "majority rules" answer. I'm not used to this uncertainty with my Princess cruises. I THINK they state the dress in the docs but I don't remember for sure.

Bill

Just got home from a 4 day. 2 casual, 1 informal, 1 formal nights.

The only difference between casual and informal for the ladies I really saw: casual means pants, informal means dressier pants or a skirt. Really, not much different at all.

Archived