Question about get togethers on board

Princess311

I was looking over my old Patters from my April cruise, to relieve some of the PCD and I discovered a get together called a Masons Get Together. My favorite cruise staffer hosted the event and I have no idea what that means.

Can anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks!

Alicia

Masons are a male fraternal order (some say secret society), and includes among others Scottish Rites and Shriners.

DeMolay and Rainbow Girls are (or were) a junior division, for teens and young adults.

I used to rent a hall to the masonic lodge. Yep, they are a pretty secretive organization. They even had a throne in that hall they rented, and when I purchased the building, they didn't even want me to see what I was buying. But I insisted as it was upstairs in a building that I was purchasing and I was not buying it without knowing what was up there.

They are pretty innocent though, and do a lot of good charity work, not to worry!

Masons are the same idea as the Elks. These clubs go back many years. They were quite serious, and you had to be nominated by a member to join. For MANY years, women were not even allowed inside the door!! You can guess my feeling on that, when hubby joined the elks!!! :eek: LOL!!! The have meetings once a month, and the older member can still be old school, but women are now allowed, and have a club, same building, as the guys. They do a BIG amount of charity work, and sponser a lot of activites for the kids and handicapped. Trust me, there is nothing sinister there. It is basically a place for the guys to hang out through the month, have a couple of drinks, and shoot the s*** It is a guy thing!!! :D

They are definately a secret society. My father was very active in the organization and he and his friends in the organization were some of the most upstanding, kind, generous, men I've ever know and were a shining example for my generation.

Dan Brown did make some interesting points in his book but he failed to mention the following:

They are quite innocent while on land, but when they meet on board a cruise ship they plot..........the goal, if enough members are on board, is to hijack the vessel and sail happily from Caribbean port to port without allowing it to return to the mainland.........I hope they have enough on my cruise next week.

The women's org was called Eastern Star. I was a Rainbow Girl in my early teens. The Masons, et al, is a well-respected and upstanding organization. I'm surprised you've never noticed the symbols lined up on the rear window of their cars, or is that just a Southern thing?

Not just a southern thing. My husband was raised in a Masonic Home for Children in California. He was there for about 10 years. The masons treated the children quite well although I would not want to trade my parents for the experience. He has some interesting stories about his time there.

He was also very active in the DeMolays. Once things calm down in his career and he has more time, he will join the Masons to give back to the society that helped him as a child.

Becky

Archived