Boarding scanners?

JolleyRoger

What's the deal with scanning your carry-ons?

We're sailing on the Coral soon and I'd like to smuggle a bottle or two of wine or beer on board to enjoy on our balcony.

I've noticed some people have no problems getting on board with their bounty... while others have it confiscated.

Do some ships take scanning more seriously? Maybe because of the ports frequent?

How does the boarding at calls of port work? Is it a scanner like on the airlines where they put all your stuff on a belt?

How does the boarding at calls of port work? Is it a scanner like on the airlines where they put all your stuff on a belt?

yes..just like that...and they you walk thru a metal detector. This is done on the ship itself as you board in a port of call.

I can tell you that the scanner at the ports of call are like the ones at the airport. You have to put all your bags and sweaters or jackets on a conveyer belt and is scanned when you reboard the ship. I can't comment on the liquor I have never done it.

We're sailing on the Coral soon and I'd like to smuggle a bottle or two of wine or beer on board to enjoy on our balcony.

I've noticed some people have no problems getting on board with their bounty... while others have it confiscated.

Do some ships take scanning more seriously? Maybe because of the ports frequent?

You are allowed to bring wine on board. No need to smuggle it.

I'm thinking the idea is to keep bad things like guns off the ship, not wine. Now you're saying, "Why would anyone think of bringing a gun on a cruise ship?" Common sense does not always prevail. I say, "Scan away."

I'm thinking the idea is to keep bad things like guns off the ship, not wine. Now you're saying, "Why would anyone think of bringing a gun on a cruise ship?" Common sense does not always prevail. I say, "Scan away."

In complete agreement... I was just asking how they worked.

This day and age, we need those security measures more than ever. Even if they do put a crimp on smuggling some grog on board. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, isn't the scanning really done by the port security people, not the cruise ship people when you embark? The port people don't care about liquor.

Personally, I've never had a problem with smuggling anything on board at embarkation or even liquor from islands visited that are duty free. The key there is to make sure you're not carrying one of those big "DUTY FREE" boxes on. I always just ask them to throw the liquor in regular bags. Of course, I normally only buy a few bottles.

Archived