comparing Astor vs Intercontinental

NJLVW

Retired, Thank you. Yes I did read your review. I actually waited patiently for you to post a review. I enjoyed it very much. I look so forward to our cruise in March. We were just on her in Jan.06. The Sun is a beautiful ship. I am glad to hear the Intercontinental is nice. I was hoping it would be a quiet spot. Is it in walking distance to the FQ? Did you do your whole package with NCL? Just wondering if you recieved transfers from airport to hotel. Hotel to pier. Pier back to airport? Or do I need to purchase separetly? Thanx for your help..

Retired, Thank you. Yes I did read your review. I actually waited patiently for you to post a review. I enjoyed it very much. I look so forward to our cruise in March. We were just on her in Jan.06. The Sun is a beautiful ship. I am glad to hear the Intercontinental is nice. I was hoping it would be a quiet spot. Is it in walking distance to the FQ? Did you do your whole package with NCL? Just wondering if you recieved transfers from airport to hotel. Hotel to pier. Pier back to airport? Or do I need to purchase separetly? Thanx for your help..

If you are in good health, you can walk it, but it was too far for me, especially on in to the Jackson Square area.

I did my own flights and the return hotel but did take NCL transfers A/P to hotel and hotel to ship. They worked well as they did a shuttle rather than a bus. I took a taxi from the ship to my hotel and from the hotel to the A/P on the return. That too was easy

NCL offers both hotels. I chose Intercontinental after careful research. Seems to be in a quieter location. All good reviews. I looked at pics. Are they doing your transfers airport to hotel, hotel to pier , pier to airport? I am just trying to figure out what I have for transfers. I booked everything through NCL so I figure I must have everything. Just in case I don't I need to prepare myself ahead of time.

NCL said they will do some, not all. We are doing the air ourselves, so I think they will just get us to the pier. We have to check.

I did my own air but the hotel through NCL.. They gave me a transfer from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the port. If you get docs, there should be coupons telling what you have. If you don't get the docs, check with the NCL gal holding the sign in baggage claims as to the transfer.

Thanx. I don't expect my docs for quite a few weeks yet. We are leaving March 3rd so I figure probably the first week of Feb. I will check for coupon. Although everything I have read does tell me it is all included. I guess if they do all the booking. Hopefully, don't want to walk aimlessly around the airport.

I am a New Orleans local. I have stayed at numerous of the hotels listed here due to business events or during Mardi Gras. I would say Intercontinental all the way. It is one of the best hotels in the city. Buisnesses here fight to have their Christmas parities there. It is a very nice place with top service.

Places to eat the the quarter, any Brennan's places are great. The Gumbo Shop is also a great place for New Orleans style cooking. Any place for a po-boy sandwich is great. Just so you know, if someone asks if you want your sandwich dressed, they want to know if you want lettuce and tomato on it.

A great place to visit is the Riverwalk has alot of stores and New Orleans things in there. Just remember to walk in groups at night. The quarter has been fairly safe as long as you have several people with you. I would not walk at night from the quarter past Canal Street unless you have a least three people with you.

Have a safe trip! Dont forget those coming in mid to late February, its Mardi Gras season during that time. Things can be really crazy then.

Cathy

Thanx for the advise Crichard. I do want to have some NO food. Different then what I am used too. We are going with 2 other couples. So if everyone wants to venture out there will be 6 of us. If they chose not to then the 2 of us. I would think we will be ok. We'll just go back to the hotel before dark. Glad to hear the Intercontinental is as good as everyone has said. Now I am more anxious to go there.

Norma Jean

Thanx for the advise Crichard. I do want to have some NO food. Different then what I am used too. We are going with 2 other couples. So if everyone wants to venture out there will be 6 of us. If they chose not to then the 2 of us. I would think we will be ok. We'll just go back to the hotel before dark. Glad to hear the Intercontinental is as good as everyone has said. Now I am more anxious to go there.

Norma Jean

Just so you know, the Gumbo Shop serves a full menu it is not just Gumbo. The food is really good. It is one we go visit often. Let me know if you have any other questions. New Orleans needs our tourists to return for our city to come back. Thanks for coming to visit.

Cathy

Just so you know, the Gumbo Shop serves a full menu it is not just Gumbo. The food is really good. It is one we go visit often. Let me know if you have any other questions. New Orleans needs our tourists to return for our city to come back. Thanks for coming to visit.

Cathy

I agree about the Gumbo Shop. We had some excellent Red Beans & Rice with Smoked Sausage.

I think the Gumbo Shop is as well known for it's Red Beans as it is for Gumbo. I have to say I've never been unhappy with anything I've gotten there. I'd also say that about any of the Brennan restaurants. But then there are SO many good places to eat here it's hard to recommend just one or two.

Archived