Duty Free alcohol on the Star

kezza

We returned off the Star on Sat. On board they sell 1 ltr bottle of Baileys for $34.95. However, on about day 2 or 3, they advertised major discounts on some brands, including our favourite Jack Daniels, for $20 per litre bottle. Hubby said we'd never get better than that anywhere, & so we bought two bottles.....ah yes, same bottle was $18 at Fung Kuei in Vila! The ship will match any price as long as you bring a flyer back from the other retailer....but beware, if you hold out, in all probability the ship won't have any left in stock anyway:rolleyes:

Cheers

Make sure the flyer or price is in Australian we had price in vatu and they wouldn't match it as they said it had to be in Australian $, not mentioned. Frog had bought a Kahlua and we decided to buy a bottle on board at same price, a last minute decision but no go. they are so cunning!!!

Hi cruisers,

thought I might add to the alcohol debate. how shrewd is P&O. they have 2 sets of price lists that I know of.. firstly, on the Vila included trips, prices are not too bad (but Mr Kevin) at the end of main street is always the best. but, on the Qld coast trips the price magically goes high. :confused: :confused: no competition.....

kind regards, Lorraine:)

So u cant take any form of alcohol on the boat can you?

Couldnt u put them smaller bottles of spirits into your carry on luggage or do they check it?

Also, sorry if it sounds stupid, but if u just want soft drinks or juices and etc through the day, do u just get them from the bars or can u get them in bottles/cans etc for your room or walking around?

If u get them outside dining hours, do u need to pay for them then?

So u cant take any form of alcohol on the boat can you?

Couldnt u put them smaller bottles of spirits into your carry on luggage or do they check it?

Also, sorry if it sounds stupid, but if u just want soft drinks or juices and etc through the day, do u just get them from the bars or can u get them in bottles/cans etc for your room or walking around?

Of course they screen your luggage, they will confiscate it until the end of your cruise if they find anything you aren't supposed to have onboard. You pay for your softdrinks and juices anywhere even in the dining room. Water is complimentary.

No matter what question you have, someone here will be happy to answer you.

All drinks have to be purchased from the bars. If you asked you'd be able to get a can to take away - but it will be opened. You can't buy unopened can's etc.

You can however, take cans of soft drink etc onboard. I don't think they've tried stopping this yet.

As for paying for drinks, you ALWAYS pay for drinks, even at meal times. The only free drinks on board are;

1) at the Captains Cocktail party on the first formal night

2) at the Champagne waterfall (champagne only)

3) Tea/coffee and cold water are available 24/7 at the Lido Buffet

4) Fruit juice (glasses) are available at breakfast time in the Lido Buffet.

Kym

They had juice available untill mid afternoon on my cruise in March. but from memory there were an awful lot of young kids on it so it mught have just been to help ease stress on the parents

On our last cruise we took wine and it went thru ok. Didn't get confiscated. We found the young ones seemed to loose their alcohol moreso than the "oldies".

On this cruise I will take a bottle or two and if it gets confiscated then that's ok. No big deal. I'll get it back at the end.

We always buy duty free alcohol and take it with us but this time I'm taking the advice from this board and leaving it until Vila, then I'll buy some on the way out of the airport when we get back home.

We'll see how it goes getting the alcohol thru when we arrive at the start of our cruise!!

Kerri

As for paying for drinks, you ALWAYS pay for drinks, even at meal times. The only free drinks on board are;

1) at the Captains Cocktail party on the first formal night

2) at the Champagne waterfall (champagne only)

3) Tea/coffee and cold water are available 24/7 at the Lido Buffet

Kym

And to add one more 'freebie'...the art auction has free champagne (there were 3 art auction days on our 7 day'er on Star) as well..but you have to ask the drinks waiter if his tray has the alcoholic or non-alcoholic ones on it!

Cheers

Archived