Northbound Or Southbound - Help!

luv2cruiseny

Just starting to research an Alaskan cruise for next year and have a couple of questions.

1. Which is better - the north or south route for this cruise?

2. When is the best time for an Alaskan cruise?

I'm sure I will have tons more questions - but it is just the beginning of planning.

Thanks in advance for replies.

More people prefer to do an Alaska land trip first and then go on a southbound cruise, and the prices reflect this. I wanted the "wow factor" of the scenery getting better and better as we go north, so we're cruising northbound, followed by a 9-day land trip. I hadn't thought of this until someone else mentioned it, but the amount of daylight hours also steadily increases as you head north.

"Best time" is somewhat subjective. In general, it gets rainier the later in the season you go, but it's buggier earlier. Murray (Yukon) complied some weather statistics for us: http://explorenorth.com/cruises/cruise-weather.html

I have sailed both directions several times and prefer southbound. Main reason- daylight sailing of inside Vancouver Island. But most people like it for the relaxation- after hectic interior land touring. It definately is not my reason since I usually go for 2 weeks plus the cruise. Either way offers something, just also consider adding time for interior opportunities that are- do not miss. :) My most traveled time is mid August- early Sept. I go then for possible Northern Lights and foliage.

Archived