Where to buy wine in Honolulu ( Waikiki) to take on Pride of America

Queensland Girl

Sam's Club and Costco work well for wines. Many choices for good prices. However, since you're from down under, I'm not sure if you have membership at these stores. For wine there is also Tamura's in Kaimuki (3496 Waialae Avenue), closer to the pier at the Ward Warehouse there's the Liquor Collection. You can also stop in at the local markets like Times, Foodland, Star or Safeway.

We have been getting mixed feedback on this for the Pride ships. I know that you cannot order a bar setup for the three US-flagged ships. Other posters have reported that no wine may be brought onboard those three ships either, regardless of whether you are willing to pay the $15 fee. Anyone know for sure?

Mahalo. My "wine tastebuds" thank you for your help.

beachchick

If you're not particular about the wine or don't plan on bring on particular vintages/expensive wines aboard, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to bring your own wine. The corkage fees along with the hassles of hauling the wine around and claiming the bottles from the NCL liquor police makes the cost-effectiveness of this iffy.

NCL wine list for 2006 - http://www.ncl.com/download/faxback/4800.pdf#search=%22ncl%20wine%20list%22

There are a fair amount of wines on that list that cost around $30 or so - essentially negating any cost savings you might get from bringing aboard your own wine.

Just food (wine?) for thought.

Spleen

Spleen: That's the thing though. I am particular in my wine tastes and don't care for much of what's on the NCL list (although it's a darn sight better than RCI's, IMO). I've always schlepped my wine to the islands. There are so many local wines that we love that we can't get there. OTOH, on the BI last year, I was browsing the wine list at Volcano House and found (to my surprise) one selection from one of our favorite local vintners (well okay, they are our friends too). They are pretty much boutique size (but have been growing over the past 15 years) and have gained a wide reputation for their excellent wines (they won the gold at the world-wide Reisling tasting in Europe and scored 92 for two of their pinots in Wine Spectator). Still, this time I'm not schlepping because it's too much darn work. Nevertheless, I had planned to stop on the way to the ship and choose a few bottles of my preference. Will I die if I don't or can't bring on wine? Of course not. I simply prefer to bring my own choices when I can. I am considering ordering the Romance package (I checked and we can go to Cagney's instead of Le Bistro, which does not interest us). I'm willing to gamble on the included bottle of bubbly and bottle of still. I figure that with the picture, dinner, and two bottles of wine, it's a good bet. (BTW, I do actually enjoy Tedeschi's brut bubbly.)

beachchick

My comment was more meant for Queenland Girl rather than you, Beachchick - I know you're particular about your wine. But from the tone of the post from the OP, it sounded more like it was meant to be a cost-saving measure and I'm trying to point out that it might not be that much cheaper taking everything into account.

Spleen

Soda is usually not a problem for cruise ships. Bottled water is OK as well. Though I did hear some scattered reports that RCCL was having some problems with soda being brought aboard by cruisers recently - not sure if that's really true or not.

Spleen

• 2 months later...
- is there any liquor store? This would solve a "carry-it-around" part.

Mahalo!

Good point. Would be nice to check-in then go out exploring and pick up some wine. Any wine stores nearby port?

Also the 2006 NCL wine list page eferenced earlier in thread is dead. Anybody find a current/2007 wine list page?

Good point. Would be nice to check-in then go out exploring and pick up some wine. Any wine stores nearby port?

Also the 2006 NCL wine list page eferenced earlier in thread is dead. Anybody find a current/2007 wine list page?

From the terminal bldg walk to Nimitz Hwy (major hwy when you look left after exiting the terminal bldg. Cross Nimitz Hwy, after crossing go to the right (walking parallel to Nimitz Hwy) until you get to Bishop Street - crosser over (one block). Walk left on Bishop (away from the water) until you get to Queen Street (the first street you come to) after crossing walk to the right. A few feet down on the left is a wine shop - It is located in the Davies Pacific Building street level with its own entrance. I don't know the name or the hours. If it is closed go back to Bishop and walk away from the water you will come to a Longs (somewhat hidden) -- ask the locals when you see them where Longs is. While Longs does not have the greatest selection it is close to the ship. If you don't like what you find in Longs ask about liquer stores in China Town a very short walk from the ship/Longs.

Archived