Transatlantic crossing - a few questions

paulista1950

We (my wife and I) are booked for a transatlantic crossing next year. Even we having take a few cruises before (including one on the QM2 to the Caribbean), I still have some doubts.

- which are the main differences between a crossing and a regular cruise?

- are the activities on board the same?

- how about the dress code? I heard most of the nights are formal, is that true?

- what age should I expect my fellow passengers to be?

- finally, is any transfer from the pier to central London sold aboard? If it is, how much does it cost?

Any other information you could provide will be appreciated.

We (my wife and I) are booked for a transatlantic crossing next year. Even we having take a few cruises before (including one on the QM2 to the Caribbean), I still have some doubts.

- which are the main differences between a crossing and a regular cruise?

- are the activities on board the same?

- how about the dress code? I heard most of the nights are formal, is that true?

- what age should I expect my fellow passengers to be?

- finally, is any transfer from the pier to central London sold aboard? If it is, how much does it cost?

The main difference is that you don't have bothersome ports to worry you. This gives a relaxed time that is unique. Activities are basically very similar to that on an average sea day, but of course there are no port talks and so on.

Transatlantics are always more formal. I can only speak of the QE2, but the first and last nights are informal (lounge suit) and every other night is formal (dress suit).

Age doesn't seem to be significantly different - at least on QE2.

Cunard will take you to Central London. For a price. You can book on board, but you might find a better price booking separately.

The service through Cunard is well done - although we've only done it once - and can be recommended in terms of quality.

The Daily Programmes and Southampton transfer information that I copied to http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/***** will answer these questions.

This seems to be the night for nudging folks toward my photobucket memorabilia, you're the third, I think. Hope it helps,

Paul

Evenings #1 & #6 are casual (gents: no jacket required, suggests a collared shirt w/ slacks. ladies: a blouse w/ skirt or slacks)

Evenings #2, #3 & #5 are formal (gents: tuxedo or dark suit. ladies: evening gown or cocktail attire. "Codes will be enforced in the Britannia & Grill Restaurants".

Evening #4 is informal (gents: jacket & tie required. ladies: cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit.

As for onboard activities, I think there is more going on (maybe just due to the ship's size). They have 3 great shows in Illuminations (the planetarium). There is also the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts workshops held in the mornings. The Oxford Discovery Programme consists of 4-6 different lecturers/speakers per day w/ many informative & entertaining talks. The range of subject matter is infinite. All of the crossings I have made were during the summer months. There were some young families & those on up to the golden years. There is something for everyone. A ship as magnificent as QM2 takes at least 6 days at sea to get a taste. Roundtrip is even better! Enjoy

The Daily Programmes and Southampton transfer information that I copied to http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/***** will answer these questions.

This seems to be the night for nudging folks toward my photobucket memorabilia, you're the third, I think. Hope it helps,

Paul

I loved the pictures of your cat, she looks just like mine. How the she like the kennels? I would love to hear about your experience with it. What do they charge?

I loved the pictures of your cat, she looks just like mine. How the she like the kennels? I would love to hear about your experience with it. What do they charge?

We blogged our "QM2 with cat" adventure at http://*****.blogspot.com/.

As far as we could tell he had a great time. The charge is $50/day for a small kennel.

Apologies to paulista1950 for this off thread excursion,

Paul

Archived