NYC - Food Vendors

bling19572010

I was in NYC at the end of August and took a tour on one of those red double-decker buses. Our tour guides made a point of telling us that the food at many of the carts was quite good, especially (in their opinion) the ones with a "halal" sign. To back up his point, they noted the number of people coming out of the many office buildings to eat at them. If the food at a cart is awful, these people would find someplace else to eat lunch, and the cart wouldn't be able to stay in business.

I was in NYC at the end of August and took a tour on one of those red double-decker buses. Our tour guides made a point of telling us that the food at many of the carts was quite good, especially (in their opinion) the ones with a "halal" sign. To back up his point, they noted the number of people coming out of the many office buildings to eat at them. If the food at a cart is awful, these people would find someplace else to eat lunch, and the cart wouldn't be able to stay in business.

Cindy, can you tell me how your experience was on the red double-deck buses? We are thinking about the Grayline "In A New York Minute" tour ad are limited on time (We have about 8 hours to spend touring). Did you like the tour? Did you hop-on & hop-off a lot? How long did your tour end up being for? What was the average wait on a bus to pick you up to take you to the next stop? Also, did you do the SOL Harbour cruise that is included? If you did, was the wait long to get on the ferry? Also, did you go to the Empire State Building? If so, how long was that wait long to get up to the observatory? Thank you!!

Melinda,

I didn't do the "In A New York Minute" tour. My son & I went down on a Wednesday, took in a matinee on Broadway, stayed overnight, and then went home on Thursday afternoon. I wanted something to do (other than go back to the hotel after dinner and watch TV) on Wednesday night, and got a GrayLine flyer from someone on the street whilst we were walking from the theatre to the hotel.

The package we took included the Night Tour (which we took on Wednesday; it is the only tour that is NOT on-off; it lasted about 2 hours -- it does give the opportunity to get off at one of the big buildings for the observatory, I forget whether it was the Empire State or Rockefeller Center, we didn't do it) as well as several of the daytime on-off loops. It cost $50pp (only $10 more than the Night Tour alone, so I figured for $10 it was a good way to get around to the sights the next day) and the pass was good for 48 hours! I joked that we should sell our passes to someone in the train station for $20 since they still had more than 24 hours left on them when we came home.

On Thursday morning we boarded the bus around 9 AM, went down to the stop closest to the World Trade Center site, walked around there, walked from there to Battery Park (you can see the Statue of Liberty from there, but I didn't pay the extra fee to get the harbor cruise), and then had a little difficulty finding the bus stop down there; when we found it, the bus was right there so we didn't have to wait. By this point, my son (who usually sleeps during the day and thus was totally off-schedule) was getting pretty tired, so we stayed on the bus and got off at the stop nearest Grand Central, grabbed lunch there, then got on a train to come home.

But the buses evidently leave Times Square every 15 minutes or so, so I'd imagine you wouldn't have to wait too long to hop back on.

Melinda,

I didn't do the "In A New York Minute" tour. My son & I went down on a Wednesday, took in a matinee on Broadway, stayed overnight, and then went home on Thursday afternoon. I wanted something to do (other than go back to the hotel after dinner and watch TV) on Wednesday night, and got a GrayLine flyer from someone on the street whilst we were walking from the theatre to the hotel.

The package we took included the Night Tour (which we took on Wednesday; it is the only tour that is NOT on-off; it lasted about 2 hours -- it does give the opportunity to get off at one of the big buildings for the observatory, I forget whether it was the Empire State or Rockefeller Center, we didn't do it) as well as several of the daytime on-off loops. It cost $50pp (only $10 more than the Night Tour alone, so I figured for $10 it was a good way to get around to the sights the next day) and the pass was good for 48 hours! I joked that we should sell our passes to someone in the train station for $20 since they still had more than 24 hours left on them when we came home.

On Thursday morning we boarded the bus around 9 AM, went down to the stop closest to the World Trade Center site, walked around there, walked from there to Battery Park (you can see the Statue of Liberty from there, but I didn't pay the extra fee to get the harbor cruise), and then had a little difficulty finding the bus stop down there; when we found it, the bus was right there so we didn't have to wait. By this point, my son (who usually sleeps during the day and thus was totally off-schedule) was getting pretty tired, so we stayed on the bus and got off at the stop nearest Grand Central, grabbed lunch there, then got on a train to come home.

But the buses evidently leave Times Square every 15 minutes or so, so I'd imagine you wouldn't have to wait too long to hop back on.

Cindy, what a fun time for your and your son. My son is 21 and is a night-owl so hopefully he'll be able to stay awake during the day for the sightseeing journey! <G> How long did it take you to walk from the World Trade Center to Battery Park? Did you like Grayline's tour?

My night-owl son is also 21.

I liked GrayLine's tour, some tour guides much more than others.

Don't quite remember how long it took us to get from WTC to Battery Park. We came out of the WTC area and ended up right down on the waterfront, but had a hard time figuring out where the bus stop might be; we spent quite a bit of time wandering around looking for it. Rather than waste that kind of time (since you're on a tighter schedule than we were), I'd suggest getting back on the bus where you get off, and then just getting off down at Battery Park (which I think was the next stop).

My night-owl son is also 21.

I liked GrayLine's tour, some tour guides much more than others.

Don't quite remember how long it took us to get from WTC to Battery Park. We came out of the WTC area and ended up right down on the waterfront, but had a hard time figuring out where the bus stop might be; we spent quite a bit of time wandering around looking for it. Rather than waste that kind of time (since you're on a tighter schedule than we were), I'd suggest getting back on the bus where you get off, and then just getting off down at Battery Park (which I think was the next stop).

We're staying in Newark and since we are pressed for time, we are taking the PATH to WTC and then we need to go straight to Battery Park to catch the Ferry in order to make it before the last ferry leaves at either 3:00 or 4:00 ( I don't remember exactly which one). That's why I asked how long it took to walk to Battery Park. We may need to just take a taxi to Battery from WTC. We are going to purchase our Grayline "In A New York Minute" tour at battery park and then once we are done with the SOL Harbour cruise we will then proceed with the rest of our tour. I'm probably trying to pack too much into 8 hours, but we leave the next morning on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean. Do you have any pointers that you can give me on good resturants in lower manhattan? Did you ride the subway at all?

I'm not one to eat street food very often as I don't like to stand (or walk) and eat. However, in general, eating from the carts is quite safe. Most carts have their spots - it's not random - and millions of locals do it daily. (of bringing it back to their office) As someone else in this thread stated, if the food was bad, they couldn't stay in business. One friend of mine eats lunch from the same cart about 3 times a week and he's been doing it for over 15 years. He and the cart owner exchange stories and family vacation photos.

As a kid I ate my fair share of hotdogs with no negative after effects. And the Halal meat carts are good as are the falafel carts. The only ones I'm leery of are the shish-kabob guys as there seems to be alot of beef on those sticks for such a cheap price.

I'm not one to eat street food very often as I don't like to stand (or walk) and eat. However, in general, eating from the carts is quite safe. Most carts have their spots - it's not random - and millions of locals do it daily. (of bringing it back to their office) As someone else in this thread stated, if the food was bad, they couldn't stay in business. One friend of mine eats lunch from the same cart about 3 times a week and he's been doing it for over 15 years. He and the cart owner exchange stories and family vacation photos.

As a kid I ate my fair share of hotdogs with no negative after effects. And the Halal meat carts are good as are the falafel carts. The only ones I'm leery of are the shish-kabob guys as there seems to be alot of beef on those sticks for such a cheap price.

Jane110...I just may have to go ahead and try a street vendor. I never have bought from one before. I live in Kansas City, MO and we really don't have street vendors except for special events, but I'm too leery to try one around here! <G>

Melinda,

I took the GrayLine package so I wouldn't have to ride the subway (I haven't been on it for over 25 years, but the memory of the dirt & smell are still that strong). I don't go to NYC very often (too big for me) so I can't advise on any restaurants. I wanted to try some restaurants in the Times Square area (that's where we stayed), and then do lunch in Chinatown the next day, but my son does not have a very adventurous palate, so we ended up eating in Bubba Gump's Wednesday night and then in the train station for lunch on Thursday (and the Chinese we had in Grand Central was not very good).

Melinda,

I took the GrayLine package so I wouldn't have to ride the subway (I haven't been on it for over 25 years, but the memory of the dirt & smell are still that strong). I don't go to NYC very often (too big for me) so I can't advise on any restaurants. I wanted to try some restaurants in the Times Square area (that's where we stayed), and then do lunch in Chinatown the next day, but my son does not have a very adventurous palate, so we ended up eating in Bubba Gump's Wednesday night and then in the train station for lunch on Thursday (and the Chinese we had in Grand Central was not very good).

I know what you mean about the adventurous palate! I too would love to try a restaurant in Chinatown....but I doubt that'll fly. Thanks again for all your input!

Melinda,

Well, how good is the food at "the mall"? The quality at Grand Central is about the same with the exception of about 6 places. No matter where you travel , chain food is chain food.

We have the best food in NYC at all price ranges. There's no reason to come here and eat a medicore meal.

Before your next trip, ask here for some great spots that are good for families - i.e. not expensive and not for the gourmet.

Jane110...I just may have to go ahead and try a street vendor. I never have bought from one before. I live in Kansas City, MO and we really don't have street vendors except for special events, but I'm too leery to try one around here! <G>

when I was a kid, my mom and I would meet her aunt in Manhattan. My mother would always buy me something to eat from one of the vendors and my aunt would always say "she's gonna die of food poisoning - don't let her eat that". Well, 35+ years later, I'm still here and still love street food.

theres a guy during the week over by wall street that does caribbean food that is really good. You have to get there early since the lines go down the block and he runs out by 1. In the morning on the rare days I am craving coffee if the Dunkin is to crowded I stop at the vendor across the steet from work and grab a cup of coffee. He's always busy since he's in front of the Verizon building and the construction workers from the WTC all go to him you can smell the bacon in the morning.

JMAT: Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but since you're somewhat constrained for time, how about taking the free Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park to SI and back. You get a nice [but not close-up] view of the Statue of Liberty, a great view of lower Manhattan and it takes a lot less time. [And, it's free!] You go over to SI, get off the ferry, get right back on and go back to BP. You wouldn't want to be going to SI at rush hour, of course.

And, FWIW, the WTC site is basically a construction site. If you want to see some of the stories from 9/11, go to the church across the street from the north corner of the site [i think it's St. Paul's]. It was very moving for my son and I to see, especially since we had been there in early October of 2001, while the site was still smoking.

JMAT: Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but since you're somewhat constrained for time, how about taking the free Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park to SI and back. You get a nice [but not close-up] view of the Statue of Liberty, a great view of lower Manhattan and it takes a lot less time. [And, it's free!] You go over to SI, get off the ferry, get right back on and go back to BP. You wouldn't want to be going to SI at rush hour, of course.

And, FWIW, the WTC site is basically a construction site. If you want to see some of the stories from 9/11, go to the church across the street from the north corner of the site [i think it's St. Paul's]. It was very moving for my son and I to see, especially since we had been there in early October of 2001, while the site was still smoking.

Another great option. Thank you!!

Cindy, what a fun time for your and your son. My son is 21 and is a night-owl so hopefully he'll be able to stay awake during the day for the sightseeing journey! <G> How long did it take you to walk from the World Trade Center to Battery Park? Did you like Grayline's tour?

I stay downtown quite often and it would be about the same time for a cab or to walk.

Agree with the above poster, take the free Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. You just don't get off the boat for the trip back. The very best views of lower Manhattan, Financial District, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty.

I stay downtown quite often and it would be about the same time for a cab or to walk.

Agree with the above poster, take the free Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. You just don't get off the boat for the trip back. The very best views of lower Manhattan, Financial District, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty.

Guess I might as well walk and save the cab fare! Thanks for the info.

Archived