Pregnancy and Cruising

Keurigirl

We are going on our first cruise in November. We booked a year ago, and since booking, we ended up expecting our first child!

I am very excited but want to make sure everything will be ok. I have talked to my dr. and she has said I am good to travel through 32 weeks, but the cruise line (Princess) says "Permitted to board if pregnant for 28 weeks or less on day of disembarkation".

I will board at 26 weeks pregnant and the DAY we disembark I will turn 28 weeks. My due date is Feb 12th and our cruise dates are Nov. 9th to the 20th.

Did I just get in under the radar? How strict are they about these dates?

And also, anyone have any experience cruising while pregnant? My dr. said this is the perfect kind of vacation for pregnant women, but I was wondering. Oh, and we're going to Mexico.

The cruiselines are strict about the deadlines because it is a liability issue for them. If something should happen to go wrong with your pregnancy, the ships are not equipped to handle a premature birth.

Make sure your note from your doctor specifically says that you are cleared to travel on a cruise and that you are under your cruiseline's limit. I'm surprised about the 28 week deadline, as most cruiselines are even earlier than that.

I would contact sp Services at Princess and ask. Explain what your doctor said. They do enforce the policy based on the last day of cruise because their Sick bay can not handle premies (which is what the baby will be if born on board).

My DIL was almost 24 weeks when we went and the crew spoiled her. They made Shirly Temples for her and brought her milk morning, noon and night. When we arrived, they moved her to the disabled line right behind me (orginally she and my son stood in normal first timer's line).

As for excursions, you will not be allowed to do dolphin encounters/swims, skin diving, horseback riding ect. We discovered this when our tickets arrived. They allowed her to change free of charge but would not change my son's or mine to stay with her.

Ensure you see your doctor at least two to three days before you leave to ensure everything is ok still. I hope you took out insurance already. Ask about sea sick meds. usually the morning sickness meds are prescribed for this.

Enjoy your last cruise for a while.

We are going on our first cruise in November. We booked a year ago, and since booking, we ended up expecting our first child!

I am very excited but want to make sure everything will be ok. I have talked to my dr. and she has said I am good to travel through 32 weeks, but the cruise line (Princess) says "Permitted to board if pregnant for 28 weeks or less on day of disembarkation".

I will board at 26 weeks pregnant and the DAY we disembark I will turn 28 weeks. My due date is Feb 12th and our cruise dates are Nov. 9th to the 20th.

Did I just get in under the radar? How strict are they about these dates?

And also, anyone have any experience cruising while pregnant? My dr. said this is the perfect kind of vacation for pregnant women, but I was wondering. Oh, and we're going to Mexico.

very, but it sounds like you should be ok. NMnita

The cruiselines are strict about the deadlines because it is a liability issue for them. If something should happen to go wrong with your pregnancy, the ships are not equipped to handle a premature birth.

I understand why they have a deadline and that it is there for my safety - I'm not questioning or trying to get around any safety guidelines. I just wondered if my dates were going to be ok.

I'm not doing any horseback riding or swimming with dolphins- nothing unsafe. I can't imagine any pregnant women trying to do any of that stuff.

In this case you really should call Princess and verify everything with them. My sister-in-law had her baby 8 weeks early and was in the hospital for the 3 weeks prior trying to keep our niece in the oven as long as possible. And from the news, just this week a woman went into premature labor on a transatlantic flight and gave birth on the plane, so there are real and good reasons for those restrictions. If everything works out after talking to Princess, I hope you have a wonderful time and either way, I wish you a very uneventful rest of your pregnancy.

Archived