OT - Ladies, have any of you taken allergy shots

saw1953

My doctor is recommending that I take allergy shots which I now understand is a 3 - 5 year process. Have any of you taken them and did they work? Did you have trouble getting your syringes and medicine through airport security?

I was a allergy nurse for 7 years. Yes, they do work! Over a six month (or so) period of time you go to your dr. up to three times a week(depending on your Dr.) and work your way up to a maintenance dose of once per week . After 6mo. to a year or so you can go to every other week.Most doctors will not let you give your own shots just in case of a reaction! But if you miss a week or two, you pick up where you left off or back up a little on your dosage.

i too took them for 7 years and they worked wonders... went from being allergic to everything down to only 2 which can now be controlled with zertec... i never had to give them to myself... always were administered by an allergy nurse at the clinic...

I too took them for many years. I was lucky that once I got to the maintenance stage, I had a friend who was an RN who could administer the shot. With two young children in tow and working 2nd. shift, it did get to be very tireing going back and forth then having to sit an wait at least a half hour for a "reaction". I have been taking one allergy pill per day for 365 days of the year at least 20 years. Allegra 180 mg. now works best for me. Oh, I have asthma now but it is controlled. Give the shots a try or ask what alternatives may work for you like pills, getting rid of the dog or cat, moving to a different climate! Yes these things may be necessary options.

As far as carrying needles, I think the nurse answered this one. There should be no problems with security as long as you have the script and syrum with you.

Bon Voyage

Hi...I've been getting allergy shots for about 10 years. They help me tremendously, so there's no reason to stop. I get one shot per month, but would never dream of giving it to myself, besides, I could never reach that far back on my arm.

I know what my limitations are, and, if I'm going to be around an animal that I may be allergic to, I use my Intal inhaler (also have asthma).

I have a Standard Poodle and she's the perfect hypo-allergenic pet! No shedding (poodles have fur instead of hair), she never has an odor, she's smarter than dh and me put together and she's just a joy (just a little info if you don't have a pet and want one).

My allergist is about 45 minutes away, so I have him mail my serum to my PCP who is about 1 mile from my house. My PCP gives me the shots, records everything and faxes all the info to the allergist when the serum bottle is running low. It works out perfectly. As long as I see the allergist every 2 years, he'll continue to send the serum to my PCP.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Karen

I had them from age 18 months to 4 years old, then again from 7 to 13 years old, then again from 23 to 24 years old. They worked a little for me, but not enough to justify me paying full price after my divorce when I lost health insurance through my ex-husband. Plus I got tired of being poked. I guess after so many years of getting them I just don't want a shot unless it is absolutely necessary.

I now just take Claritin 10 mg every day, and 50 mg of Benadryl every evening. I have asthma, but it is triggered by certain pollens and molds, so it is not a year round issue for me. I'm allergic to nearly everything (plant or animal), but my cat/dog allergies have gone away (was very allergic as a child) and now I am severely allergic to feathers (no down pillows or comforters for me).

My allergy dr. wouldn't even consider allowing me to give myself the shots, even though I was almost through with nursing school and gave shots on an almost daily basis to others. I guess that depends on your allergist though.

Natalie

For all of you who are suffering from asthma, have you tried dust mite covers on your bed and pillows??? They helped alot of people in our office from complete cures to relieving the sympyoms tremendously! It's worth the try~

Archived