Getting to Mendenhall Glacier suggestions?

bunduo

We are booked with Orca Enterprises and Captain Larry for a whale watching tour in Juneau. On Friday, they called to confirm. Apparently, the Coral is the only ship in port on that Friday morning (June 15). I asked the girl if we could be dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier. She said that when there are so few ships, the shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier are not very reliable. She said the next best thing is to arrange a taxi to take us out there and pick us up. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? I assume it will be more than $6 per person. Any other suggestions?

While, unfortunately, I didn't get to go to Mendenhall, it didn't seem to be very far from the ships, and I read a lot of posts that suggested that people just got off the ship and booked right at the dock. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be a shuttle to take you. There were some excursions that didn't have many people and they still went. Tourists are their money makers. You are very lucky, indeed, if that is still the case when you arrive. There were 6 or 7 ships there the day we were, and we were there June 6th this year. It was a Wednesday though, so maybe you will luck out. I did the whale watch from the cruise.......I wish I had gone with my gut and took the Capt Larry tour. I didn't get to see whales close up.:( I was too afraid that something may happen and the ship wouldn't wait for me. We went up the Mt. Roberts tram and that was very nice. Beautiful scenery and mountain views from way up.

We were there on a busy day and plenty of shuttles, so I don't know the cost of a taxi, but it will take about 15 minutes to get to Mendenhall from the dock. Taxis in other towns (Fairbanks) tended to be pricey - $12-$15 for a 3 mile ride! The desk clerk in Fairbanks said they had NY rates! I'd suggest looking on the internet for Taxi service in Juneau, and just give one a quick call to see what rates you can expect if you don't get the info you need back from this thread.

We are booked with Orca Enterprises and Captain Larry for a whale watching tour in Juneau. On Friday, they called to confirm. Apparently, the Coral is the only ship in port on that Friday morning (June 15). I asked the girl if we could be dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier. She said that when there are so few ships, the shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier are not very reliable. She said the next best thing is to arrange a taxi to take us out there and pick us up. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? I assume it will be more than $6 per person. Any other suggestions?

Hi there - we will also be on the Coral on the same cruise and we also booked with Orca Enterprises. The person I spoke with also told me the good news that we will be the only ship in port until late afternoon.

What she told me was that we should just wait until we got there on Friday morning and then we should speak with someone in their office about setting up transportation with them to Mendenhall. Evidently they can arrange the whole thing for you.

Hi there - we will also be on the Coral on the same cruise and we also booked with Orca Enterprises. The person I spoke with also told me the good news that we will be the only ship in port until late afternoon.

What she told me was that we should just wait until we got there on Friday morning and then we should speak with someone in their office about setting up transportation with them to Mendenhall. Evidently they can arrange the whole thing for you.

We enjoyed Mendenhall and had Orca drop us off there. We prepaid with them for the shuttle back to the ship, but one of their shuttles had broken down that day so they were only on each half hour.

We had anaother private tour guide call us a taxi but then the shuttle came. It wasn't too much for the taxi-I just don't remember what. Sorry. Have Orca get you the taxi Number ahead of time?

Here's my review on the Mendenhall Glacier.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=406743&page=3

Eileen

It is about $20-25 for a cab, Mendenhall to downtown Juneau. What I suggest IF a shuttle is not available from Orca Enterprises . Is to either, take a cab TO the whale watch after taking the $6 shuttle from downtown, or a cab pick you up at the marina and take you to Mendenhall, then a shuttle back downtown. Simple. :)

It is about $20-25 for a cab, Mendenhall to downtown Juneau. What I suggest IF a shuttle is not available from Orca Enterprises . Is to either, take a cab TO the whale watch after taking the $6 shuttle from downtown, or a cab pick you up at the marina and take you to Mendenhall, then a shuttle back downtown. Simple. :)

The OP said the shuttles might not be reliable that day. Is he/she talking about the Orca shuttles? If so, why would Orca suggest a taxi if the town shuttles are running.

So my question is: WHAT shuttles are we talking about here????

There are shuttles that run from the cruise docks to Mendenhall glacier. I think they were MGT. www.mightygreattrips

I also think there are other shuttles that go around town and they are $6 each way to the glacier. I just know know any names of shuttle businesses.

I don't understand why there would be a problem with unreliable shuttle service. Isn't June getting into prime cruising season?

We were there in August and the same thing happened to us. We had Captain Larry's shuttle bring us back to town and were going to meet friends and go to Mendenhall glacier. It was early afternoon and the Mendenhall shuttles quit running. We went to the welcome center by Roberts Tram and they called a taxi (van) and for 6 of us it was less than the regular shuttle so we gave him the balance in tip. He gave us his card and told us to call him when we were done and it worked out fine.

You will love whale watching with Captain Larry. Also make sure you stop by the Red Dog Saloon.

It looks like HAL also will be in port that day. ( in the afternoon )

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn3/default.aspx

Archived