Legend Sports Deck and tour debarkation questions

dawnrae

I see on the RCL website deck plans for Legend of the Seas that there is a Sports Deck on Deck 9 indicated for "an outdoor activity court used for basketball and volleyball games". Can anyone verify that this is accurate? I thought I read posts several times that mentioned a "quiet spot for sunning on cushy chairs" is located in this same area. It looks like the entrance would be through the spa? Who distributes the basketballs and volleyballs?

Also, what deck is usually used for tour debarkations and is it from the bow or stern of the ship?

Thanks

Dawnrae

We were on the Legend back in March and there was not a basketball court or an area to play volleyball. The Legend is the second smallest ship in the fleet and I doubt they have room for those amenities without sacrificing some deck space, if it's at all possible.

edited it add: There was a rock climbing wall onboard and also a mini golf course. Maybe they have made some changes.

Sher

I see on the RCL website deck plans for Legend of the Seas that there is a Sports Deck on Deck 9 indicated for "an outdoor activity court used for basketball and volleyball games". Can anyone verify that this is accurate? I thought I read posts several times that mentioned a "quiet spot for sunning on cushy chairs" is located in this same area. It looks like the entrance would be through the spa? Who distributes the basketballs and volleyballs?

Also, what deck is usually used for tour debarkations and is it from the bow or stern of the ship?

Thanks

Dawnrae

Hi Dawnrae....

Regarding the sports deck..it is in name only. Although, there is a jog track.. mini golf...and rock wall as mentioned.... on deck 10 above. We have been on Legend twice..the most recent cruise in August. The area you are talking about..is a small aft deck area as you come out of the spa rear exit. You can also access it from the outside deck. There are stairs aft on deck 10 ..which are by the rock climbing wall...that lead down to this area. It is just a seating area..for sunbathing. It did have the best deckchairs with padded cushions..and is always considered a prime area. This year we considered ourselves lucky...to be able to find a chair quite easily on a number of occasions. However.. the bad news..the cushions no longer exist. Just the Same plastic deck chairs as elsewhere on the ship. I think the reason might be related to the weather. In summer 2005..we had very strong winds on our first Legend cruise. The cushions on this deck were constantly being blown off....many heading to go overboard... As people vacated their chairs.....but made no attempt to catch the cushions..or to pick them up... or to secure the cushions under cover. which was easy enough to do. So I expect they were losing quite a few..and being damaged easily...and weren't very cost effective. It is still a fantastic spot to sit and watch the wake of the ship...or the rock climbers above.

Regarding tours...both of our cruises were from the UK to the Med..so I don't know if anything will vary sailing from the USA. Our instructions..Fifteen minutes before departure time for the tour......we all gathered in the theatre. Where we checked in with staff.. were given a sticker to wear with a number on it..which matched the coach we were to board. A staff member led us off the ship...waving a numbered flag which could be seen clearly.. All exits were made from midship. In most ports..we disembarked on deck 1...next to the hospital. Though deck 2 and deck 4..were also used once or twice.. Legend is a beautiful ship. We thoroughly enjoyed both of our cruises...and are sailing with her again in 2007 from Rome... where she will be based for the summer. have a great Cruise.Regards, Carol

Thanks Cruiser Carol for your reply. I have 7 grandkids with me and I did not want them to get excited about basketball on the sports deck (per RCL website info) if it did not exist. I was doubting the information due to the references on Cruise Critic about the great area for sunning that seemed to be in this same spot.

We have 4 cabins on Deck 2 and I was concerned that everyone might be trying to debark in the same area as our cabins but we are not mid-ship so I think it will work out well to be close, but not too close.

I have enjoyed your comments and reviews regarding The Legend. The 12 of us are looking forward to our cruise in December.

Thanks again.

Dawnrae

Hi Dawnrae!

I just saw your post and had to respond.

There is definitely no basketball court on the Legend. My husband was sooo disappointed because we were mislead by RCI customer service they had a half court at least. In any case we still had a good time. What Legend does have is a rock wall and a putt putt golf course but it needs major remodelinig unless they did so since I did it in March. There is definitely a lack of sports "deck" on this ship like Voyager class. For people like my husband, it was disappointing, but we still had a great great time and this ship is so relaxing!

The cushy chair area is a do not miss! Its barely known about...especially at beginning of cruise. I believe the spa/gym is in rear back of the ship (right by solarium). If you are one level above that...where lounge deck is...go all the way back to the rock wall, and take one of the side staircases down to the cushy chair deck! There are about 30 chairs down there and there is barely any wind, so you are sure to get sun. By day 4 of cruise it was well known about on our cruise, so it was always taken but I found that people shared their seats a lot in this area. It was almost like a family. Mostly adults in this area and VERY QUIET!! Loved love loved it!

I also had a cabin on Deck 2. I will not lie, the days we got off in Caymans and Cozumel the line was VERY LONG on our deck and very noisy. We didnt get off ship right away either of those days and could hear banging and yelling in our cabin for many hours we tried to sleep in. We finally just got up. The day we went to Belize there was no noise outside our door in morning, and we didnt get off ship until 11 that day. Nice and easy tender too...although 45 min ride. We missed Costa Maya due to the huge Waves. Couldnt get to the dock safely.

I hope you have a great cruise. This is a nice relaxing ship. Definitely best for those not cruising to GO GO GO but to sit back and relax. Cant wait to sail again....as long as my husband doesnt mind lack of sports :) He is a huge fan of the Voyager class...and Disney ships offer a lot of sports activities for kids and adults we found.

Thanks for replying to my post. I suspected the lack of sports deck even though it shows on RCL's website. It would be nice if they updated their website once in a while. At least I can count on the Cruise Critics to keep me informed.

Where was your cabin on deck 2? Forward, middle or aft? We have 7 kids including a 2 year old and I am not looking forward to crowds in the hall waking her too early. We have 4 forward cabins not too far from the forward elevator. But we will be up fairly early most days since we have lots planned for the ports of call.

I know the kids will like the putt putt golf along with the rock climbing wall. They also all enjoyed AO last year. I think there will be plenty for everyone to do. It won't be long now. Final payment is due this week. Yikes!

Thanks again

Dawnrae

As far as Vision Class ships go, Legend and SPlendour have the minigolf, Vision, Grandeur and Rhapsody have the basketball court. Not sure about Enchantment since the stretch.

Ummm, I've been on Vision, and Grandeur, just looked at my pictures and I don't remember seeing a basketball court on them. Where was it? There was one on Sovereign though.

Ummm, I've been on Vision, and Grandeur, just looked at my pictures and I don't remember seeing a basketball court on them. Where was it? There was one on Sovereign though.

I'd also love to get verification re: Grandeur--my understanding is that there is no basketball on that ship (Basketball is an absolute MUST for DS!!), so we have never booked it. We are booked on the Sovereign--and I have seen a photo of the basketball court--small, but there is a hoop to shoot at and a deck to dribble on, that will have to do.

Re: Enchantment since the stretch--no basketball.

Where was your cabin on deck 2? Forward, middle or aft? We have 7 kids including a 2 year old and I am not looking forward to crowds in the hall waking her too early. We have 4 forward cabins not too far from the forward elevator. But we will be up fairly early most days since we have lots planned for the ports of call.

I dont recall our cabin # but we were just down the way from the stairway where the people were let off ship on the floor below. Fun ! :)

Thanks Cruiser Carol for your reply. I have 7 grandkids with me and I did not want them to get excited about basketball on the sports deck (per RCL website info) if it did not exist. I was doubting the information due to the references on Cruise Critic about the great area for sunning that seemed to be in this same spot.

We have 4 cabins on Deck 2 and I was concerned that everyone might be trying to debark in the same area as our cabins but we are not mid-ship so I think it will work out well to be close, but not too close.

I have enjoyed your comments and reviews regarding The Legend. The 12 of us are looking forward to our cruise in December.

Thanks again.

Dawnrae

Hi Dawnrae...I hope that you and your family have a fantastic cruise. I am sure you will be fine with your cabin choice. We were on deck 3 and were very happy.The grandkids.. hopefully.. will also really enjoy the Adventure Ocean program. Which caters for the younger ones...right up to the teens. with various programs and activities. The teens then have their own lounge area..games room..video arcade..and nightime disco.. with a D. J on deck 10. We had hundreds of kids on both cruises..as it was during school holidays. But they were never any bother. We hardly noticed them.. as they all seemed well entertained and busy having a good time. Legend is a beautiful ship..with a wonderful crew..and great food. I am sure you will really enjoy your time onboard.

btw..another really great spot to sit..is on deck 4 outside the dining room. You are quite near the sea..with open railings..a very traditional deck. You can sit on a comfy chair..PADDED..and put your feet on the rail...it really captures cruising. And it has something a little extra!.. you can walk all the way around to the Back of the ship from here. Ending up AFT right over the Wake of the ship. As you are very close to the water.. the sound of the waves rushing and forming the wake is really loud.. and very impressive. Standing here when you leave or enter a port..is brilliant. When you are onshore..if you take a look at that area at the back of the ship...it is the spot where the name "Legend of the seas" is printed.. and the flag of registry is displayed. It was one of my favourite places onboard. Happy Sailing..regards, Carol

Thanks Carol,

I don't know how much time I will have to just sit but I love to find these special places on each ship. I am printing out your post and will take this with me. My same family group was on the Sovereign of the Seas last December and the kids loved AO. It was one of the main reasons we chose RCL again.

Thanks again

Dawnrae

Thanks Carol,

I don't know how much time I will have to just sit but I love to find these special places on each ship. I am printing out your post and will take this with me. My same family group was on the Sovereign of the Seas last December and the kids loved AO. It was one of the main reasons we chose RCL again.

Thanks again

Dawnrae

Hi again...I know what you mean about sitting..despte 14 days onboard...I don't think I sat anywhere longer than an hour. There was just so many beautiful ports to see..and so many exciting things happening onboard..that I just wanted to be part of everything. The solarium is also a great place to watch all the action. It is like a garden room inside...all glass enclosed. you have comfortable padded chairs and tables by the windows.where you can have a coffe or snack of pizza..burgers..or hotdogs from the bar.. Which your grandkids should enjoy. My daughters and their byfirends loved it here. There is a lovely pool area and hot tubs in front to enjoy... with nicely pdded deck chairs surrounding it. Then n the outer edges as you enter..along the windows of glass..other padded chairs with footrests.. to just ejoy the view..or read if you desire. The bar b ques on deck by the outside pool area.. are great fun for the kids as well. you will have a great time. regards, Carol

Dawnrae...It would pay for me to wear my glasses when reading and replying...LOl I completely missed the part of your message that said the family have been on RCL before.. It seems that you guys should be giving me tips on cruising... If you would like some more info on Legend...You can check out the review section of CC...by clicking on members reviews on the menu at the heading on top of this page. There have been quite a few added recently. regards.carol

Archived