Debit Card Question

strtdoc

Has anyone ever had any problems with using a debit card as opposed to a credit card with NCL? I will be using one linked to my PayPal account, not a bank account. I was planning on putting no more than we intend to spend in my PayPal account. That way when it's gone, it's gone and I don't have a huge credit card bill when I get home with a bigger balance than I'd planned on. Anyone else have any experience with a situation like this. Your comments would be appreciated.

- Todd

Todd,

I've used my VISA check card, but it is tied to my bank. I'm concerned in your case, that the funds you would be using to guarantee your charges through Pay-Pal would have a specific limit, set by you. I'm not sure your card would be approved when you embark. Regular cards are guaranteed up to your credit limit. I'm not sure they're going to accept your predetermined limit. It might be a question you should ask NCL before you head to the port.;)

I should mention, I think its a great idea, pre-limiting your spending while onboard. I'm just not sure they're going to let you do it.:eek:

On prior cruises on Carnival, they obtained several authorizations throughout the cruise. They started with $50.00. As we spent, they authorized more on the card and it worked beautifully. I have set a limit of $1400.00 for us on this 7 day cruise. That's $200.00 per day. I don't even expect to spend that much. Do you know how much they authorized at the beginning of the cruise? Also when they actually charge the card, did they do that multiple times or did they have a single charge for all you spent at the end of the cruise.

Has anyone ever had any problems with using a debit card as opposed to a credit card with NCL? I will be using one linked to my PayPal account, not a bank account. I was planning on putting no more than we intend to spend in my PayPal account. That way when it's gone, it's gone and I don't have a huge credit card bill when I get home with a bigger balance than I'd planned on. Anyone else have any experience with a situation like this. Your comments would be appreciated.

- Todd

Hi

I had the same question. Per these boards, many people use their debit cards without problem.

I also asked my TA to check for me and she told me that they automaticly hold $300 Per stateroom on the debit card as a guarantee.

We will have $1000 on the debit card for spending on board.

I am hoping that we don't have any problems as we don't have a credit card for us to use for this purpose.

Hi

I had the same question. Per these boards, many people use their debit cards without problem.

I also asked my TA to check for me and she told me that they automaticly hold $300 Per stateroom on the debit card as a guarantee.

We will have $1000 on the debit card for spending on board.

I am hoping that we don't have any problems as we don't have a credit card for us to use for this purpose.

Why not get a credit card?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Garycarla,

I have one, I choose not to use it. I don't like putting a balance on the card, because no matter that I may intend to pay it off at the end of the month, my wife will have other plans for the money I put up for that and then I have to pay interest. I don't like paying interest. With my paypal debit card I get 1.5% cash back. It's a personal preference kinda thing. Just like your personal preference is to USE A CREDIT CARD. It's America, and this is FREESTYLE cruising....everybody does their own thing and it's okay. Have ya seen the commercial?

-Todd

did not mean to sound judgemental or offensive. Just know that people run into problems with Debit cards and wondered if people can put $1000 aside on a debit card as the limit, why not $1000 aside on a credit card and make that the limit.

Still, I appreciate your logic and thought process.

I would still suggest at least bring the credit card for emergency issues. Things do happen, and as the saying goes "priceless"

I agree with the interest thing. We spend lots of money monthly, but stay within what what can pay off each money. Credit card companies do not like our type.

Why not get a credit card?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not that its anyones business but quite honestly because of personal reasons (family medical emergencies, family suffered in 5 Hurricanes last year, etc) my credit was ruined because I was supporting family members.

I don't have the credit to just go get a credit card, and unfortunetely a lot of people are the same way.

There are MANY reasons that MANY people don't have credit cards.

I have also used only my debit card on cruises and like others, it worked out beautifully! The reason being is if I open my account onboard with my credit card - in a moment of weakness (especially in the shops) I may overspend. But I put a certain dollar amount on my debit card - extra cash in my wallet along with my credit card in case there is an emergency. When I spoke with Norwegian both times, they never debited my account until the last day of the cruise.

Archived