Wine pre-order question????

FoxyTerrier

According to the gift order form which I just pulled down from the HAL site, they have Chardonhay and Merlot available for $14 a bottle (I know some have been charged $18) Right underneath that they have the 4 bottle package $82 and the 6 bottle package for $125 - both listed as "Best Buys". That turns out to be $20.50 and $20.83 repectively.

My question is how is that a best buy? When $14 or even $18 is much less!!!

Is it because of different wines are offered? When we have gotten the packages before no matter what the list says they always seems to be out of anything other than the Ariana wines. I didn't mind them a bit, but are those also the wines offered at $14 or $18 depending on which price you are quotes???

I also wonder if the package prices have gone up, but have not been updated on the Gift Order Form. In the past we just normally order on ship - maybe we could save a bit if we order in advance.

Joni

I called a couple of weeks ago and the 4 bottle deal was no longer available. I bought (4) $14 bottles and the wine steward had the record of my purchases and we had the choice to have white or red whenever we wanted it. Don't really remember the brand names but they were okay. Nothing to right home about. I think the cheaper wines on the wine list on the Zuiderdam were in the lower $20's on the ship. If you can handle basic table wine go for it. It was a good deal with no hassles.

Enjoy

Shirt-man

Just off the Zuiderdam July 10.

even though I mentioned to the woman on the phone that the form said $14.00. That includes the gratuity. It was a take it or leave it situation.

Roberta

I faxed my form in so no one could say it's now $18, but we will see how it goes.

In general we usually wait until we arrive at the port of departure; then, in the waiting room, they crew will usually have a table set up for wine package orders and reservations for the Pinnacle, among other things. They'll also have their precise wine list with the various wines available for each package. We find this is a little easier than trying to select a package earlier.

We DO like having a wine package. It makes ordering at dinner so much easier, and we don't have to sign for each bottle (or buy by the glass). I hope they have larger packages for the 21 day cruise. :) On the Statendam for our 2002 Hawaii cruise I seem to remember an 8 bottle package deal and a 12 bottle deal; I think we got the 8-bottle package, and thus only had to supplement it with an extra couple of bottles before the end of the cruise.

I just ordered four bottles of "house" wine at $14 per bottle. The HAL "agent" I spoke with stated that the price had gone up to $18, but if the caller refers to the $14 price (which was on the gift-order form I downloaded moments before calling), then that price is honored. My credit card will be charged $56 for the four bottles.

I asked about the "best buy" package which listed four bottles for $82. She stated that those wines could be ordered from a list, by name, and were not "house" wines. I opted for the blue collar $14 version.:)

Archived