Shopping in Curacao

Hapinowagain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The shopping in Cuaracao is fantastic and one of those little known secrets of the Caribbean. There are some world class jewelry and watches available at Freeport Jewelers, which has been in Curacao for many generations. Since there is not the high traffic you will encounter on other islands the staff is much more laid back. The variety is large and can accomidate any spending level. Their customer service is top rate!

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

The shopping area is a short walk from the dock. After you exit the ship go towards the right down the path next to the water, you will go through an old fort type building that is being redone for shopping and then continue on towards the floating bridge. Once you cross the floating bridge you are in the center of town where most of the shopping is located.

There is also a free ferry to transport you to and from, but I'm not sure where the pick-up is from the cruise dock.

The shopping in Cuaracao is fantastic and one of those little known secrets of the Caribbean. There are some world class jewelry and watches available at Freeport Jewelers, which has been in Curacao for many generations. Since there is not the high traffic you will encounter on other islands the staff is much more laid back. The variety is large and can accomidate any spending level. Their customer service is top rate!

CaribbeanBlue

As an experienced gemologist and appraiser, and an experienced cruiser, I have to ask why in the world you would buy jewelry or expensive watches anyplace but a local reputable jeweler at home? Where do you think the well-known expression "tourist trap" came from? I strongly suggest you restrict your souvenir purchases on a cruise to t-shirts and coffee mugs.

We lived in Curacao for two years and found the shopping to be quite good. We went back, on a cruise, recently and purchased very nice linens.

When we shop for jewelry in the islands, we are cautious, do our homework ahead of time, and get purchase documents with the higher priced items. Then, we have them appraised at home. So far, so good.

As an experienced gemologist and appraiser, and an experienced cruiser, I have to ask why in the world you would buy jewelry or expensive watches anyplace but a local reputable jeweler at home? Where do you think the well-known expression "tourist trap" came from? I strongly suggest you restrict your souvenir purchases on a cruise to t-shirts and coffee mugs.

There are many reasons to buy fine jewelry in the islands.

Compared to any store in the US, the available selection of jewelry at all price levels in the Caribbean is amazing. How many stores in the US actually stock several hundred loose diamonds from 1-15 carats, including ideal cut D-IF?

Lower import duties and absence of sales tax gives a definite edge on price.

The stores are in a position to buy in large volume, greatly reducing the cost of goods. This savings is passed on to the consumer.

Competition is fierce. Nowhere in the US will you find over 250 stores in one area like in St Thomas or St Maarten. Competition creates sales at lower margins.

Some extremely high quality stones never make it to the US. They come to the islands because the market can handle them. How often can you actually get to compare several GIA Certed Fancy Intense Pink diamonds in the 2-6 ct range at one time? (The Argyle mine only produced 64 Fancy Pinks of any size last year) How about well cut, top quality Alexandrites in the 3-10 ct range?

Factory authorized watch vendors in the islands are allowed to discount more than in the US and often have models that are not available anywhere else. With full factory warrantees, of course.

Stores that have been in continious business for 3-4 generations who believe that their good family name and reputation are worth more than anything else.

Scam artists don't last very long.

I can go on....

We are gemologists and appraisers that have been activly involved in the Caribbean market for 14 years and we examine 10's of thousands of items. I think we have a pretty good idea of what is available.

I invite you, as a fellow industry professional, to contact me privately the next time you are going to the Caribbean and I will try to have one of our gemologists meet with you and show you around. Once you meet a few of the store owners, examine the goods they carry and see for yourself what excellent customer service they offer....I think you may change your mind. I can guarentee that at the very least it will be an eye opening experience.

We took a friend of ours to Aruba last year who has 35 years in the business at a very high level and thought he had seen it all. He spent a lot of time saying "OHMYGAWD did you see that?" We just smiled.

I am not saying that every store or every item is perfect. Far from it. But if you do your homework before you shop and work with established stores, you can safely get good value for your money.

CaribbeanBlue

We just returned from Curacoa, which is a wonderful island. As for shopping and walking from the ship, it is about a 15 minute walk over the bridge or a short taxi ride. We were let off downtown after our tour and choose to take the taxi back to the ship after shopping. I wasn't looking for jewelry, but know there are some good buys. We did get awesome linens, of course Curacoa liquior and a few other little items. We found t shirts, (golf type) actually great buys and good quality. The same is true about the quality in Aruba.

NMNita

newmexicoNita- So glad you liked Curacao. We enjoy the yummy liqueur and visited Chobolobo- the liqueur factory.

We are looking forward, already, to returning to Curacao to revisit the Western end of the island, having revisited the Eastern side last year.

Great shopping and great snorkeling in Curacao.

newmexicoNita- So glad you liked Curacao. We enjoy the yummy liqueur and visited Chobolobo- the liqueur factory.

We are looking forward, already, to returning to Curacao to revisit the Western end of the island, having revisited the Eastern side last year.

Great shopping and great snorkeling in Curacao.

We did the liqueur factory as well; of course some curacoa came home with us. NMnita

Archived