Clothes for Dinner the 1st Night?

I just want to make sure that dinner the first night on board is "come as you are" - I know no swimsuits and the like -- but shorts and tshirts will be ok -Right?

I think I read this on the boards at one time - but it's been months of reading and planning, and I just want to make sure I didn't dream this one night!:D

Thanks folks!

Sher:D

The dress the first night is casual, long pants and collared shirts. BUT if you don't get your luggage in time they will not throw you out for tshirt and shorts. Why not put a pair of pants and golf shirt in your carry-on so you don't look like a bum in a nice restaurant.

Ok guys - not trying to look like "bums" here - and we all enjoy dressing for dinner, and going to nice restaurants- but our "cruising group" will all be wearing matching T-shirts, and plan on wearing capri's, or long jeans or shorts when boarding.

Since the "offical" boarding time is 2:30PM, Sail-away is 5:00pm, and our dining time is 6:30pm, I'm not too sure if we will all have our luggage in our rooms by then, and don't we have to do the infamous muster drill prior to sail-away?

I know we could put something in our carry-ons - but, we all wanted to be up on deck for sail-away and not in our rooms changing.

I guess our group might end up being a "Can you believe what we saw on our cruise? Thread " in the future!! LOL :rolleyes:

Casual the first night also means capris or maybe a sundress for the ladies. It's very easy to either board in what you are going to wear to dinner or pack something in the carry on. Problem solved! :)

Hubby and I had late seating when were on our first cruise on the VOS. We still hadn't received our luggage in time (even for late seating), so we both ended up wearing shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Not only were we not thrown out of the dining room, but we were served as if our waiter was glad to see us...shorts and all! I felt a little uncomfortable about showing up in our shorts at first, but I felt much better when I saw all the others in their shorts.

If our luggage had shown up in time, I would have changed. For future cruises, though, I will not throw a special "in case my luggage doesn't arrive in time" outfit for dinner in my carry-on. We have enough in our carry-on (toiletries, medications, camera, battery chargers, etc), without having to add an entire outfit plus shoes...

Lynne

Sher....I am on your cruise and I promise that I will not talk about you after the cruise, no matter what you wear to dinner that first night;)

Actually, I have late seating so I will probably not see you. My DH goes pretty casual on first night, also.

I will be looking for you guys in your Coca-Cola shirts. See you in a few days.

You can wear shorts and a t-shirt, many cruisers don't get their luggage in time. People who would make you think otherwise and go so far as to suggest you bring 'slacks and polo' in a carry-on have lost use of their higher reasoning. Enjoy!

On Mariner of the Seas, they actually told everyone to come as they are..most folks I saw were dressed in what they came in on the ship..lots of tshirts and shorts, although I did see some long pants and collared shirts...I'd say only 3/4 of the ship had their luggage by the early seating..I even saw some ladies check in wearing evening gowns. I'd say anything neat and tidy (no tank tops) would go the first night..no one says a word!

I'm sure you will have no trouble spotting us nyer! Please introduce yourself if you do! - Thanks for promising not to talk about us!! LOL:D

I CAN'T WAIT!!

Thanks too, to everyone for your encouraging words!

Sher:cool:

Shecara - we had main seating and were up top for sail away after the muster drill . Plenty of time to go change before dinner into that outfit in your carry on. If you don't change, it is simply a matter of choice - not time.

Don't worry. It's the middle of summer. Texas heat, at that. (it was only 97 here today). :eek: I bet you'll see more shorts and t-shirts than anything else! :) Have a great time on your cruise!!

Shercara,

My suggestion is that all of you guys show up in your birthday suits in the dining room...I guarantee you that you guys will definetely be the topic of conversation here on the boards! ;)

LOL

Okay, Okay...on a serious note..."play it by ear"...just wait to see if you guys get your luggage before dinnertime and if you don't...just show up in your group t-shirts. Who gives a rat's rear-end what others think??!! Just go and have fun...life is too short to be worrying about wearing a "proper" polo & slacks.

I've done 8 prior cruises and had main seating for dinner. We always had our luggage (and were unpacked) by dinner time. I don't think you'll have any problems changing and enjoying the sail away.

There will be a few people that just choose not to change. MORE than 3/4th's of the passengers will be dressed according to the guidelines.

Enjoy the cruise!

Cindy ;)

I would agree with the other posts. You should have no problem wearing shorts and a nice shirt to dinner he first night. We also have too much in our carry on to worry about packing another set of clothes for dinner. Some people just get too hyper about "proper" attire the first night the of the cruise. Enjoy yur time during the sail away and not worry about changing clothes. I know the first night my DH and I will be wearing shorts to dinner. If people want to say something to me and waste their time worrying about my clothes the first night, taht's their problem.

:D LOL!!!!:D

Some of you folks are really funny!!

Thanks for all your input - we're going with the "as you are" dress code for the 1st night and will proudly wear our matching Tshirts - Then we will gladly follow the guidelines for the rest of the cruise....

*Please don't go flaming me here guys... but...

Maybe we will look into a NCL "Freestyle" cruise next time. I'm on vacation here ! All the "stuffiness" and rules didn't seem so apparent on our last Disney Cruises! :rolleyes: Just my opinion.:eek:

Shorts & jeans are generally not a good idea, but you will not be thrown out for wearing them the first night.

When you board, someone will offer to take your picture. It's nice to be a little more dressed than shorts & a t-shirt for that. Can you travel in capris or a skirt & him in dockers? IMHO getting a bit more dressed up than the "usual" vacation adds to the fun, making the whole expereince a bit more wonderful. :)

We're usually heading from a cold climate to a warm one so finding something comfortable to layer is always a challange. We do put a change of clothes including swimsuits in our carry on just in case. We also have full use of all our higher faculties, thank you very much.

mojo shame, shame, shame...I think you just got way to serious on us. :rolleyes:
You're right and I've removed the post since I don't think there is an end to the argument as everyone has their own strong opinions on this issue. Thanks for pointing out my moment of temporary insanity! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all - we proudly wore our matching RED Coca~Cola T-Shirts and shorts/capris to dinner the first night - and we were allowed to select off of the same menu as everyone else!! LOL;) - Really, lots of people didn't even show up in the dining room on the first night!

*Don't worry though folks, we did dress "appropriately"for the rest of the cruise!

We had a blast with our matching shirts (all 19 of us!) It was real easy to spot each other, and meet up on the first day - wish we had brought another few sets for the rest of the cruise!

We got lots of looks, smiles, questions and comments too! There were rumors flying that we won a contest.... and that my DH paid for all 19 of us friends to sail together :p !! LOL !! We got to be know as the "Coca~Cola" group, and had a blast doing so!

Only had a few glitches with RCCL (Dining room and toilet issues) but for the most part had a GREAT time - will try to post a review soon!

Take care,

Sher

Glad to hear you had fun, even though you weren't in 'appropriate' attire the first evening. :eek: Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't lock the doors when they saw you coming. Someone certainly had to have that strained look on their face :( as they were staring at you in an attempt to get you to spontaneously combust! :mad:

:D Kidding of course! One has to wonder what causes people to get so bent out of shape over woven fabric while on vacation! :rolleyes: Que sera sera!

Archived