buses

DonnaKSMJ

I hope this is a little bit helpful..... I recall the main bus depot in Oranjestad was clearly marked on the tourist map. It was close to the pier. I don't have a sense of the routes.

I did ride the bus however. It was as modern and clean, maybe more so, than buses in US cities. I had walked to the row of supermarkets in search of Dutch treats. The supermarkets (huge, clean) are west of downtown Oranjestad on the main road. I was running late for dinner... So I caught a bus back to town. The fare was low and they accepted US coins.

There is a bus terminal across the street from the cruise ship pier http://www.arubus.com/

Have you considered a large SUV or a mini van for a rental vehicle? You can rent a Suzuki XL-7 4 x4 from Royal Car Rental. Their website states they have an office at the pier. We have used them in the past and they are very reputable.

We rode the public buses also during our trip to Aruba.

Very nice and clean. The depot is very close to the pier.

Round trip tickets cost $2.00 (USA). Ask for round trip ticket when boarding the bus. It's $2.00 for anywhere you travel. I think a one way ticket costs $1.25 (USA). Last bus leaves depot at 11:45 pm.

I thought I read on the boards that you can take a public bus to catch the Jolly Pirates excursion. Does anyone if that is true and which bus?

Is it in Aruba that I read that if you have a wet bathing suit a cab will not take you back to the ship? If true, will the bus accept you?

We are looking to see some of the fantastic beaches of Aruba but are trying to decide whether we can do it by bus or whether a rental car would be preferable? Anyone have any suggestions about this? Is it possible to hit Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach, and Palm Beach by bus? That would obviously be cheaper but possibly not as convenient assuming we may want to take in another sight or stop somewhere for lunch or shopping. We want to snorkel and just hang out on the beaches.

Is parking at any of these beaches an issue if you have a rental car?

Thanks for all your feedback!

Ronny & Peggy in Maryland

200610241200_5.gif

Yes I have stayed on Aruba and they have excellent regular bus service along the coastal road NW from Oranjestad that services Palm and Eagle beaches.

You must have exact change and they accept $ and change US. In fact the $US was accepted everywhere and was the only moneyl I used when I stayed there. All stores and services had prices in both $US and Aruban guilders if I recall correctly.

Archived