*American Express Travelers Check Card*

These are a major pain in the you know what. Unless you instruct the merchant, in this case RCCL, to only authorize the exact amount on the card, for instance, $500, anything over that will cause the card to be declined.

Better to use paper travelers checks and put these down as a deposit, just like cash. OR, use a CC to secure the account then PAY IT OFF with cash, travelers checks, or the check card thing as long as the guest relations person only runs it for the actual amount available.

As a merchant, we spend too much time calling the toll free numbers to verify the amounts because 8 in 10 people have no clue about how much is on them.

If you check the Ts & Cs on the Amex Traveller Card site, you will see that they are NOT approved for onboard cruise accounts. Just instruct your friend to get the paper travellers cheques and use those instead.

T

These are a major pain in the you know what. Unless you instruct the merchant, in this case RCCL, to only authorize the exact amount on the card, for instance, $500, anything over that will cause the card to be declined.

Better to use paper travelers checks and put these down as a deposit, just like cash. OR, use a CC to secure the account then PAY IT OFF with cash, travelers checks, or the check card thing as long as the guest relations person only runs it for the actual amount available.

As a merchant, we spend too much time calling the toll free numbers to verify the amounts because 8 in 10 people have no clue about how much is on them.

I agree those things are a PIA. It's our store policy not to accept them if the customer does not know the remaining balance. The travelers checks are much easier to use.

The only debit cards acceptable are those with either the VISA or Mastercard logo. I have the AMEX travel card, and quite frankly it isn't all that convenient to use.

I have a separate VISA debit card that is a part of my travel kit. The payday prior to my departure I'll put on x amount of $ on the card & that's all that's available. Because it isn't linked to my credit card or bank account I don't have to worry about the cruiseline putting a big block on it.

I have a separate VISA debit card that is a part of my travel kit. The payday prior to my departure I'll put on x amount of $ on the card & that's all that's available. Because it isn't linked to my credit card or bank account I don't have to worry about the cruiseline putting a big block on it.

I would really appreciate info on how you go about getting a separate debit card that is not linked to your checking account? Thanks!

You can buy RCCL Gift Certificates and apply them as Onboard Credit, that way you can have it paid before you even go, I have put money on mine and then will take Travelors Checks to apply in case I go over my Onboard Credit, that way I never have to touch my CC or Debit Card on the cruise.

I would really appreciate info on how you go about getting a separate debit card that is not linked to your checking account? Thanks!

I bank at WAMU and have 3 accounts set up-- Regular checking, Regular Savings and a Travel Account. All have VISA debit cards, but I only use the Travel Account card when cruising. I transfer funds into this account before I leave home (and actually have transferred additional amounts from the ships computers when needed). This way, if anyone gets my account number they don't have access to my regular accounts-- this helps protect my money and lessens any fraud. Since WAMU is basically service charge free it's perfect.

Archived