Who is Bill W???

SandRaven

Congratulations to you, John:) . We could easily fill a ship.

Easily, HeatherInFlorida! As I mentioned earlier, my DH has been a FOB since 1978 as has our TA/friend with whom we cruise. Sign us up for that cruise! ;)

I have to tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed looking through all your photos. So interesting and you're a wonderful photographer. And, now I'm sorry our cruise isn't going to Half Moon Bay! It distracted me from what I was supposed to be accomplishing this afternoon. :D

The Town Center isn't Lakewood Ranch, is it? We have friends who just built a town house in The Moorings at LR and we visited them just before the Town Center was being built....but it all looks so familiar to me.

Innlady1

Thank you, Cool Cruiser and Hoyaheel, but you haven't heard me sing. My singing might cause the first voluntary race to the life-boats in HAL's history.

I think it's great that different groups can meet up on the ships. As a card-carrying Elk, I've tried on 3 different cruises to get the "service club" meetings but HAL seems to not acknowledge that most Elks are noctural animals and 10 a.m. "service club" meetings will not result in a big turn out. :)

InnLady, no it's not. The Town Center is our clubhouse here where I live in West Palm Beach FL.

Not sure any ship would welcome a charter filled with Friends of BillW!!!!!! Can you imagine the $$$'s loss on that cruise for them???:D

Of course they also charge a bundle for their non-alcoholic drinks, but how many of those are they going to sell?:) I have one a day ... no money in that!

InnLady, no it's not. The Town Center is our clubhouse here where I live in West Palm Beach FL.

Not sure any ship would welcome a charter filled with Friends of BillW!!!!!! Can you imagine the $$$'s loss on that cruise for them???:D

Of course they also charge a bundle for their non-alcoholic drinks, but how many of those are they going to sell?:) I have one a day ... no money in that!

I thought the same thing as I posted it! Sorry...I should have noticed West Palm Beach in your headline. Your photos are awesome....

Actually, they do have sober cruises. I think that's actually their name: "sobercruises".

I wonder if I know you, Heather, seeing as I've been a friend of Bill W. for 20 years myself and also live in West Palm. Small world, eh?

Rose

I don't think so, Rose:) . I live in the area of Okeechobee and Jog.

That's very interesting about sober cruises! I never knew that. But it has never bothered either of us (at least not for many, many years) to be around people drinking and having a good time. In fact we kind of enjoy it and it doesn't ever entice us to drink. We're grown so far from that.

DH has warned me, though, that if he lives to be 85, he just might want to have a toast with a nice glass of wine. I told him he has to wait until I'm 85 (which will make him 89):o .

We do stay away from party ships that attract a very young crowd because I have to admit being around a bunch of obnoxious drunks just isn't a whole lot of fun for us:D . Call me crazy!!!;)

We do stay away from party ships that attract a very young crowd because I have to admit being around a bunch of obnoxious drunks just isn't a whole lot of fun for us :D.

Hear, hear! On our last cruise our table-for-2 was very close to another (by the end of the cruise we had essentially become a table for 4) that had a couple on their honeymoon. They chose HAL because they wanted to be in a more mature crowd, and not be singled out for Newlywed games, etc., etc.

2) seeing the confused little blue-hairs wander in asking who Dorothy is!

:D

if I ever take a cruise or other vacation with my brother and he want's to go to a FOD gathering i'll tag along just to see this bit of hilarity.

I don't think my wife would think it's funny if I started going to meetings like this when on vacation. "Honey! Really! it's only for the comedy!"

Quoted from Wikipedia:

n gay slang a Friend of Dorothy is a term for a gay man. The term dates back to a time in the early 20th century when homosexuality was against the law in both the United Kingdom and in the United States. Saying at a social gathering that another man was a "friend of Dorothy" was a way of discussing sexual orientation without other people knowing what you were discussing.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community. Another theory is that the Dorothy referred to is in fact Dorothy Parker who befriended many gays.

Mike

Archived