Capri and Pompeii in one day?

Our ship will be in the port of Sorrento from 8am until the next morning at 5am.

I was thinking that we could take a morning train to Pompeii and stay a few hours and then go to Capri.

Has anyone done this?

Is there a ferry to Capri from one of the ports near Pompeii?

What is the best way to go from Pompeii to Capri?

Is the ferry ride rough?

The pressure to hurry back to the ship will be off because we are in port all night.

Thank You:p

Here is a link with info on the Amalfi Coast. If your ship is docking or at least anchoring at Sorrento you are pretty close to Capri at that point. As you go north to go to Pompeii you will be going away from Capri. There is a map on the site below that shows the ferry routes. It seems to show a ferry stop at the top of the Amalfi coast relatively close to Pompeii at Castlellammore de Stabia which then goes back to Sorrento and from Sorrento to Capri.

http://www.amalficoastonline.info/default.htm

Hopefully you can find more details at the web site above. It would be ashame to be that close and not go and see Pompeii and also have time to make it to Capri. I would guess it will depend on the ferry schedules.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi farmgirl, Im looking at doing this next year and while searching I found a shore tour thru carnival it is 91/2 hours and takes in both

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=NAP&excursionname=Amalfi+Drive+%26+Pompeii&excursioncode=816007

It might not be the line ur going with but it may give u an idea

You can get ferries/hydrofoils/jetboats to Capri from only Sorrento or Naples. From Sorrento, its easy to get to Pompeii by simply using the train (Circumvesuviania Line) and getting off at the Pompeii Scavi station which is a very short walk to the ruins entrance. I think that train usually takes about 35 min each way (give or take a few min). If you go to Pompeii first thing in the morning (before it gets too hot) you should have time to take the train back to Sorrento and take the jet boat over to Capri for a few hours. Since there are only so many ferries to Capri, you would want to check the schedule and time your Pompeii trip accordingly.

Hank

We took the train from Sorrento to Pompeii - very easy. Just make sure you get off at Pompeii Scavi station, not the town of Pompeii itself. We also considered doing both Capri and Pompeii in the same day, but it just seemed too much, especially since my husband tires easily. However, I think it is possible to do both if you plan it right. We were a little bit more limited because I think we had less time in Sorrento. We did take a ferry from Positano to Amalfi (similar area - but on the other coast of Italy). It wasn't rough.

Archived