Explorer of the Seas - Bus Available?

Suite 16

Our family of 13 is booked on the Explorer of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise next summer. We live in Connecticut. In the past, we have been able to take a bus from Connecticut to the pier to sail on Celebrity, and I understand that this bus is available for some RCCL sailings at no cost, and about $65 from distances much further than Connecticut from Bayonne. Does anyone have any information on bus service to/from the pier, or should we plan other transportation? Thanks for the information!

Suite ~~~ Glad to help. We have done the bus and the driving so can gladly give you more info if needed on both. We come from Mass. Which date did you book? We did the Explorer 9 day 6/30, we are doing the Explorer 9 day next July, and......the Explorer 12 day on 12/23/07. I think your picking the Explorer is a wise decision!! lol

RCCL has a bus in Florida but its not free, I am coming from the furtherst city and my cost is $60 RT, thats not bad as far as I'm concerned. No trying to park or mess with luggage, and when you are tired after the cruise you dont have to worry about driving.

Yes, I just checked with my husband to be sure that I remembered correctly and he concurred that our round trip bus ride from Harrisburg to Cape Liberty last November was free. We used our usual travel agent at AAA to book the trip for us with RCI - don't know if that made a difference or not, but the bus was definitely provided by RCI and not AAA.

Suite ~~~ This is the bus service that RCl uses. we used them in 2005 out of South Station in Boston.

http://www.academybus.com/home.asp

We're just a half hour south of Boston... How do you go about finding out whether RCI will be sponsoring a bus for your particular cruise, and out of which cities?? :confused:

I'm originally from NJ and still go back there a few times a year, so driving down is not a big deal for us, but price wise, and convenience wise, I'd like to know our options.

P.S. We're not cruising until next October, but it's never too early to start planning. :D LOL

Hi Sea

We are about 30 minutes north of Boston. I believe we had to book it through RCL, and not Academy. We had booked it about a year out. As it gets closer, they can cancel if not enough people are booked on it (you are contacted but it doesn't happen often) though we only had 25 people on ours. It was very convenient to use BUT.....

1. We like to get on board earlier than the bus gets us there, so we now drive down the day before and stay over.

2. I get motion sick very easily and it was very bumpy for me.

3. It is the luck of the draw what bus you get on, and ours was old and had no sink in the bathroom which was just gross!!

I would still recommend it as a means of getting there, but just not for us.

Hi Sea

We are about 30 minutes north of Boston. I believe we had to book it through RCL, and not Academy. We had booked it about a year out. As it gets closer, they can cancel if not enough people are booked on it (you are contacted but it doesn't happen often) though we only had 25 people on ours. It was very convenient to use BUT.....

1. We like to get on board earlier than the bus gets us there, so we now drive down the day before and stay over.

2. I get motion sick very easily and it was very bumpy for me.

3. It is the luck of the draw what bus you get on, and ours was old and had no sink in the bathroom which was just gross!!

I would still recommend it as a means of getting there, but just not for us.

Thanks for the info :) I have a feeling we'll just drive down ourselves the night before and stay at my dad's house that is only about a 15 minute drive to the port, and park our car at the port. :)

• 5 months later...

For the RCCL bus from Washington, DC to Cape Liberty, NJ, does anyone know exactly where the pickup point is in DC? Someone mentioned Union Station. If so, do you know the exact location?

Thanks.

For the RCCL bus from Washington, DC to Cape Liberty, NJ, does anyone know exactly where the pickup point is in DC? Someone mentioned Union Station. If so, do you know the exact location?

Thanks.

I didn't know there was a bus from DC. I'll look into it though. We are not that far from DC.

For the Massachusetts people - RCI is now using Entertainment Tours to carry people from the Boston area to Bayonne. Some fo the Explorer cruises are offering free bus service, and there is a charge for others. Call whomever you booked the cruise thru (travel agent or RCI direct) and ask them about the bus. I know they have the service.

My cruise is Aug 3, 07 & we are from Baltimore & RCC offered a bus to NJ.here is what we did :

Call TA, they should be able to tell you if one is available and where you will board the bus & if there will be a charge.

enjoy your cruise :)

Archived