Zaandam room question

boydmom

How are inside rooms on the Main deck of the Zaandam? If a group booked 4 of these, would we be disappointed? I have looked and looked. We are planning a trip to Alaska in June 2007 and I love the Zaandam's itinerary and have decided since a suite is out of the question that an inside is just as good as an outside since I can only look out the window by sitting on the bed. BTW the group consists of one older couple 70's, two 40's groups, and one 20's group with a 6 year old. Would the 70's couple benefit from the window?

I also considered the Oosterdam out of Seattle. I can get 4 cabins on it on the Veranda deck, but they cost more and are smaller rooms. I also don't like the itinerary as much.

Thanks for the help.;)

When in Alaska, we had our one and only suite. And while the space was nice, very nice indeed, we spent most of our time out on deck, when not in port.

As it relates to inside versus outside, some people find inside cabins to be claustrophobic while others, like myself, find them comforting.

If those in your party, in their 70's, are physically able, they will have the best seat in the house, out on deck. The view though a window cabin is limiting and this is Alaska. You need to be outside to see it, hear it, and most of all, feel it.

I've had inside cabins several times, and been perfectly happy. They're always a bargain. Main inside are much better than main outside, because the promenade deck is over head - the footsteps are audible (especially the 6 am joggers!) If you had a choice of lower promenade deck inside, I'd grab that - so convenient to get outside on the same deck! However, I'd prefer the midshp or aft insides to the forward ones - even though it may not look it on the deck plans, sometimes the forward inside are smaller, because the ship narrows toward the bow. You might try getting one outside for someone in the group - whoever in the group needs light to wake up on time!

I will speak for the 70's folks in your party as that is what we are. We always book a window because it is more cheerful. what they can do is have the beds made into twins, that way you can look out the window with no problem. Sometimes it is too cold to be out on deck in Alaska and we have watched whales, porpoises and seals right from our window.

We had an outside on the Volendam which is sister to the Zaandam - on the Main deck and towards the back and we could hear the footsteps overhead a lot of the time. Also, it was a connecting room and it was very small - same size as an inside - why they would charge the same for a smaller room, even with a window, is a mystery to me.

Our kids have sailed in inside rooms and both said they felt they were claustrophobic - but that is just a matter of individual preference.

We sailed on the Zandaam last month and my 2 sons had an inside cabin on the main deck. It was fine they didn't mind it.........just a place to sleep. I do have to admit tho it was nice having a seperate room, the 4 of us in it would not have been as relaxing.

I have had these cabins almost always when I sail on the R and S class ship of HAL. I like to stay on the Main Deck in category K. Whether or not people will benefit from a window or not, that's hard to say. I, personally, could care less, but my sister would tell you differently. As far as a suite is concerned, absolutely would be wonderful, but they are alot of money. For me, sailing with a group, but getting my own cabin, Main Deck in category K works for me, especially with the single supplement.

I think you will be happy on the Main Deck in category K. Hope this helps.

Archived