Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

We just got back from a 5 day cruise on the Victory and 4 out of 5 days...we had Chocolate Melting Cake SOUP:mad: What a Dissapointment!!

Wow, they must not have cooked it long enough. My husband had it on the Conquest for 7 nights in a row and it was very good...mostly cakey with some chocolaty ooze in the middle.

Thanks for all the receipes, I think I will start with the microwavable versions and work my way up. :) We only had it one time on the Triumph because we foolishly ate too much to have room for desert. But the one time we did have it, it was perfect!

The matre de on the Conquest gave us the recipe. He said it is the most popular dessert they serve. I just got back yesterday afternoon and sure missed having this dessert last night.

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM FOR 10 PEOPLE

11 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate

11 oz Butter

7 Eggs

22 oz Sugar

11 oz Flour

Melt Chocolate and Butter. Mix alf of eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes then add flour. Then add the balalce of eggs. Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into ramkin or custard cups. Bake at 200 C or 400 F for 15-20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream

• 1 month later...

While dining in The Posh Restaurant on the Carnival Freedom, I always ordered TWO of the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. My server, Mariola -- who was THE BEST SERVER EVER -- remembered that...and by the fourth night, my dessert order was a simple nod between me and her. I loved that WCMC! I would eat a portion of the "cap" away, and then slip the ice cream into it. Mmmmmmm. Sweet hot 'n' cold goodness!

Here's the recipe my daughter-in-law used last night. It was delicious, tasted exactly like on the cruise.

8 oz dark chocolate (she used regular chocolate)

8 oz butter

5 eggs

5 oz sugar

3 oz flour (2/3 cup)

Melt chocolate & butter

Mix eggs and sugar and whisk for a few minutes, add the flour

Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

Pour into greased ramekins (makes 6)

Bake at 400 for 12-14 minutes.

She made them early in the day, we popped them in the micro to warm and they were perfect!

• 4 weeks later...

We became addicted to this dessert in our Caribbean cruise.

Your conversion wasn't right. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/frown.gifIt resulted in a very bland chocolate bread-like thing. The proper converted recipe is below. I will try it out soon and report back.

A very, very quick conversion... is anyone able to check my math?

1 pound dark baking chocolate, grated

1 pound (4 sticks) butter

10 eggs (room temperature)

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 cup flour (sifted)

Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan at low heat

Beat room temperature eggs in a big mixing bowl. Beat in sugar. Continue to beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy and thick.

Gradually mix chocolate into the eggs. Fold in the flour.

Pour into buttered 1 cup souffle dishes.

Bake at 400 Farenheit for 14 minutes.

My guess is that this makes about 10 individual "melting cakes"

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.... This is what I've told the wife... If I'm in the hospital on my last leg, probably deaf, dumb and blind, tubes in me for WHATEVER reason I want her to somehow get me some of the Carnival Warm Chocolate Melting cake to my lips...Then get it inside my mouth...THEN tell the docs to pull the plug>>>>> I will die a happy man!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Wonder if the cake is the same as Chocolate Lava Cake??? The Lava cake when cut is filled with soft/liquid chocolate ... one of my hubby's favorites.

I found a recipe with lots of photos of the Chocolate Lava Cake. Hope this helps:

http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/chocolate_lava_cakes.html

yes, that is exactly what it is and I bought some pre-made at Trader Joe's that taste JUST LIKE the one's on Carnival.

This dessert was a favorite among diners at our table, and we ordered it again and again.;) :rolleyes: ;)

Hard to describe, but on a shore excursion I overheard a rancher from the mid-West ask another man if he'd tried it yet. The other one hadn't and asked about it. The rancher merely replied, "Oh Lord have mercy!"

In addition to the nightly menu, there are sections titled Spa Selection which has fat/carb conscious choices for dieters and Alternative Selections with simple favorites like steak, chicken, Tiger Tail shrimp, baked potato. The menu is also available on the tv screen in your cabin and you can click on various dishes to see what they're made with.

no more beef wellington, thats my favorite shipboard meal.:eek: I was looking forward to it.:mad: Now I wish I had eaten more.:rolleyes: I love chocolate,:D but I gots to have my beef wellington.:mad: Next you'll tell me theres no more Corona's.:cool:

Ingredients

1 lb dark chocolate

1 lb butter

10 eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup less 4 tbsp flour

Melting Chocolate Cake

We scaled Carnival's recipe down but couldn't help but share it in its original form. Serving 90, it called for 8 pounds of dark chocolate, 8 pounds of butter, 80 eggs, 5 pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour! This kitchen-friendly version will make 10 to 12 individual cakes. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is still warm when combining.

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together.

2. In a seperate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar; whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour.

3. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix.

4. Pour the mix into greased individual serving dishes. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celsius (between 375 and 400 fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

5. Enjoy warm! Cruise Critic member tinabrn says it's "awesome with ice cream."

• 1 month later...

i have the receipe but it is for 1000 portions and we are still trying to break it down heres the receipe if you can break it down send it back to us.

semi sweet chocolate 70 lb

butter 70 lb

fresh eggs 700 ea

sugar 18 lb

flour 25 lb

method :

melt chocolate and butter

mix half egg and sugar whisk for a few mins and add flour. then add the balance of eggs

pour the mixture into ramekin cups.

bake in oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 mins

garnish :

powder sugar

First cruise on March 2 and I had it twice and loved it; DH didn't like it said too rich ... okay, but I did ... LOL.

First one was perfect and second one was more cake than melted liquid in middle, but I loved it both ways.