terra Cotta Warriors

gwhizma

Okay, let me tell you our adventure to see the warriors. We were flying out at 11 a.m. to Xi'an. Everything went like clockwork until we got on the plane and they held it for a passenger. We sat there for an hour waiting for this person to show up. He never did. Once we got to Xian, it was a little after 2:30, so we drove for about 45 minutes to see the warriors. You really need at least two-three hours to do the site justice. There are several pits, plus the museum to go through. If you do it at a dead run, providing there are no delays at the entrance to the site, you could do it all in about two hours. Another 45 mnutes back to the airport and then whenever your flight leaves for wherever you're headed. TEchnically, yes you can do it in a day, but it's much nicer to take the time and do it properly and leisurely. There is also a lot to see in Xi'an itself. We enjoyed the city more than many ofhte other cities we visited in our land tour. Just to follow up - when we flew out, we were delayed for 30 minutes waiting for seven passengers - whom did show up and were very apologetic to us. I don't know if waiting for people is the usual with Chinese airlines, but that's our experience - oh, also they have the world's best baggage handlers. In every flight we took, our suitcases were always on the luggage belt ready for us. Las Vegas could learn something from them!

Charlie

Thank you for sharing your experience. We would love to have the twodays in Xian but we also want to see the Great Wall. Our ship docks Bejing at 8:00am and departs the next day at 6:00pm. How did you make the arrangements? What airline did you fly? What about when you got to Xian, how did get to the museum and pits? Thanks for your info.

We saw the warriors as part of a post land tour package. All our arrangements were made by CITS. Their website is:http://www.cits.cn. You might see what their rate would be for a tour to Xian and back.

We flew China Air to Xian and back. i would think if you check them out on the web, you could get a listing of the times for their flights to and from Xian.

All the pits and the museum is located in one spot. We had a local guide (Tony) who was very helpful. He picked us up at the airport and took us to the warriors. It's about 45 minutes from the airport and back.

It really was an awesome sight. For more details, check out our review 7/06 on the Pacific Princess. Towards the end of the review(it is a long one, I go into detail about the flights and the visits.

Hope that helps a little!

Charlie

Always ready to help out a fellow traveler. This was such an incredible sight that it moved my husband to tears - it was nearly 20 minute before he could move. It had been a fulfillment of a life-long dream for him and well worth every penny. I applaud the insight of the Chinses government for counstructing and maintaining the property.

If you check with the bookstore, there quite often is a gentleman there signing books - he is one of the seven famers who discovered the warriors. They got paid $4 each (:eek: ) and got a new parcel of land for their discovery.

have a lovely time there.

Charlie

Petlover - I'm sorry, but that's the only Internet address I have for them. I have a physcial address of 1 Dongdan Beidajie, Dongcheng District Rm 1108, Beijing, China, 100005.. Their phone number is 86.10.85228145 o r86.10.85228146. Our guide was a manager in the Beijing office and his name was Jackie Chen - I don't know if that's any help.

Sorry,

Charlie

Yes, you can do Xi'an in a day, but I certainly would not recommend it! You might try contacting the folks at this site: http://www.etours.cn/china_tours/showroute.jsp?route_id=114

(I have never used them and am not recommending them. However, last year while I was researching such a trip they had a page that included RT from Beijing and 1 full day in Xi'an--it included pick up from hotel too. I think the cost was $390 pp. When I went to get the link from our roll call, it was no longer active--edit, I found the site again and replaced the website above).

We spent 2 days/1 night in Xi'an and I would say that really was the minimum time needed to see and enjoy the place. The warriors really are fascinating, but not so much so that you should miss out on seeing the highlights of Beijing. Believe me, you cannot possibly see the highlights of Beijing in merely one day.

Whatever you do, Enjoy!

I have been doing some research on something similar where we arrive at 11:00am, go see the Warriors, and then return back to the airport for a 5:15pm flight the same day. I contacted http://www.wacts.com via their office in Chicago @ 708-409-1244 and was quoted a price for the 2 of us of $128. USD which includes to/from airport, admission to the Terracotta Warriors and lunch.

We (DH and myself) are actually leaving the ship for a few days and doing our own thing. We fly from Shanghai to Xian (China Eastern Air 2 hr. flight) then the same afternoon after seeing the Warriors we fly to Beijing (China Eastern Air 1 hr. 40 min) where we'll stay for 3 nights. We then return to the ship in Hong Kong (I think it's Cathay Pacific, 3 hr. 35 min).

We will still have a full day and overnight in Shanghai (we've been there before) and a full day in Hong Kong (been there before too) so we're actually missing a sea day and cutting our time shorter in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

By doing this ourselves it's allowing us to see BOTH the Terracotta Warriors as well as Beijing for much le$$ than the ship excursion prices. On the ship excursion you needed to choose to go to either Xian or Beijing. I booked the air on Expedia for $700 per person.

That is exactly what we are thinking, except in reverse. Spending a day, day, day and a half in Bejing, flying from Bejing to Xian. We would need to get hotel in Bejing or two in Xian. Then to Shanghai to meet up with the ship. We also would miss a sea day between Bejing and Shanghai. I just need to figure out the logistics of transfers and lodging. I don't think we can do Xian in one day with our ship not docking until 8:00am. We also do not want to miss Bejing and the Great Wall.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

gwhizma,

What ship are you taking and when? It's difficult to answer your queries because your timeline seems a bit odd. I understood that you would arrive in Beijing (Xingang) on Day 1 at 8:00 am and the ship would depart Beijing (Xingang) Day 2 at 6:00 pm and you wanted to see both Beijing and Xi'an. Now you are saying something regarding meeting the ship in Shanghai (on Day 3 or 4, its not clear). Perhaps if you told folks how much time you had, and where you wanted to go, more alternatives could be presented to you for consideration.

Anyway, happy cruising!

Yes, of course. We( my girlfriend and I ) are flying into Tokyo from LAX on March 31st, meeting up with my son who is stationed at Misawa. (This being the reason we need to start our trip in Japan.) My friend and I will leave Osaka on April 5th on HALs Statendam. My son will go back to Misawa :(

We arrive at Xingang on April 11th at 8:00am. The ship leaves at 6:00pm the 12th. The 13th is a sea day and arrives Shanghai 1:00pm the 14th.

Does this explain the time constraints in Bejing? I would love any suggestions or thoughts. Thank You!

It sounds to me like you could spend 3 full days and 3 nights in Beijing and then on the morning of the 14th fly from Beijing to Xian to see the Warriors. Later that afternoon on the 14th you can fly from Xian to Shanghi and hook up with the ship. You didn't mention how many nights your ship will overnight in Shanghai but hopefully it's 2 nights so you will have the full day of the 15th to see Shanghai. You wouldn't overnight in Xian. Another option would be to take the overnight train from Beijing to Xian the night of the 13th.

Archived