Mercury thoughts

hrsman

taking the Mercury on the 19th of January..what is the thoughts on this ship..hearing lots of pros and cons,,want to come in to SanDiego the night before and after..thoughts on reasonable hotels near the pier,,hope to hear from you..

Hi,

We are going on the Merc Nov 20th, and I will post a review when I get back.

This will be our 2nd cruise on the Mercury, and I can tell you that three years ago this was a fantastic cruise!!!! I have read the negative here at CC, and it hasn't scared me one bit.

San Diego is definitely worth a few extra days. We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Synphony Center.

Pros: Indoor Pool, nice size rooms with a living area and bedroom, and large bath and closet. Nice City Views. Great price with DH's corporate rate.

Cons: Parking lot is crowded and spaces very tight. Lobby is on 12th? floor of building. Limited harbor views. Can walk to dinner in area, but several blocks of walking.

We like this hotel because of the rate and the Indoor pool helps me keep the kids entertained, but there are many others in the area that might better fit your particular needs.

Holiday Inn Bayside is right across from the pier. You can walk across the street with your luggage if you can carry it all and get on the ship.

Holiday Inn Express Old Town, is also supposed to be nice.

Also the Grant??? Old Style San Diego Hotel.

Good luck and happy cruising.

I concur with Suzanne. I was on Mercury last year and we had a great time and really enjoyed the Mexican Riviera. One night pre-cruise isn't enough to do justice to San Diego. I came in a couple of days before and still could have done with more.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay, right across from the pier (care, the Holiday Inn Bayside is a different hotel) and it was great to watch the ship arriving in the morning. In spite of some negative comments I had heard about this hotel, it was very adequate. Clean and tidy, good food nearby and a really good location. If you get a Bay View room you will see your ship arrive in your window in the morning.:cool:

Phil

taking the Mercury on the 19th of January..what is the thoughts on this ship..hearing lots of pros and cons,,want to come in to SanDiego the night before and after..thoughts on reasonable hotels near the pier,,hope to hear from you..

WE ARE BOOKED ON THE JANUARY 29TH SAILING

STAYING AT THE HAMPTON DOWNTOWN ON 1531 PACIFIC HIGHWAY

THEY WILL PICK US UP AT AIRPORT AND TAKE US TO THE SHIP

ALSO WE ARE STAYING THERE THE DAY WE RETURN AGAIN THEY WILL PICK US UP AT THE SHIP AND THE NEXT DAY TAKE US TO THE AIR PORT

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I agree with Phil. The Holiday Inn on the Bay is a great locations. If you stay there do not miss an opportunity to visit the USS Midway which is docked a couple of blocks away from the Hotel. The Hotel offers free Airport pick-up along with transportation to many San Diego attractions.

Phil how was your recent Med Cruise?

Hi hrsman :)

When my husband and I took the Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Mercury, we flew to San Diego a few days before our cruise, which I would recommend. We stayed at Marriott's Residence Inn on Pacific Highway. The hotel provided shuttle service from the airport and to the pier. A good breakfast, as well as evening cocktails, are included in their hotel rate and there are a number of excellent restaurants within walking distance.

For convience.......the Holiday Inn is the place to stay in San Diego, if you want to be close to the cruise ship pier.

We come in from Phoenix.......which is a one hour flight.......so, having done San Deigo in the years past.....we come in for the ship.

This will be our 5th sailing on the Mercury, and eveytime we have found the ship to be in excellent condition.

This will also be the 5th time that we have had the same cabin, and they always have it in excellent condition for us.

Rick

For convience.......the Holiday Inn is the place to stay in San Diego, if you want to be close to the cruise ship pier.

We come in from Phoenix.......which is a one hour flight.......so, having done San Deigo in the years past.....we come in for the ship.

This will be our 5th sailing on the Mercury, and eveytime we have found the ship to be in excellent condition.

This will also be the 5th time that we have had the same cabin, and they always have it in excellent condition for us.

Rick

Is that Holiday Inn nicer inside than it appears to be from its exterior? I am curious because so many people recommend it, yet I was turned off by its appearance from the street.

Is that Holiday Inn nicer inside than it appears to be from its exterior? I am curious because so many people recommend it, yet I was turned off by its appearance from the street.

I cannot recommend the Holiday Inn as we have not stayed there. We have a wonderful old hotel that is right in the heart of downtown and the gas light district.

We too.......have heard many recommendations for the Holiday Inn.

On our next Mercury trip............once again we are headed into town around noon.........on the same day as the departure!!

Rick

Archived