Clean Bedding Question

Being that I ride public transportation everyday(DC Metrorail) I guess im not as freaked out about these things as everybody else. I just wash my hands frequently. I guess thats all you can do. But honestly, theres NO telling what has been on those train seats, hand rails, ect. also, hand sanitizer is my friend:)

There's no telling what has been on top of those blankets either. I have seen "movies" in which a lot of "action" took place on top of those blankets. I always just throw mines on the floor. :)

You are right about CSI ! Never gave these things a second thought and now I cringe when I even look at a hotel/ship bed spread. Never mentionned it to anyone but I'm so glad to read I'm not paranoid because I carry Clorox wipes and ask for an "extra" sheet to put on top of the blanket.

My husband thinks I'm nuts too! But we have never gotten sick on a cruise. Many people are just dirty. I have always been a clean freak. I just can't relax until I feel that my cabin is clean to my standards. FYI the cabin attendants sometimes use the same rag to clean as they go room to room. I go over the bathroom every evening when we return from dinner.

It wouldn't and doesn't surprise me that the cabin attendants may use the same rag to clean with (heck, look at what bus boys use in restaurants...). My mother's housecleaner used to clean the toilets then the bathroom sinks - with the SAME rag! EW! My mother, who is worse than I am about germs (maybe because she's in the medical field???), found out one day and gave a brief lesson on hygiene.

Another poster said they didn't mind too much, but, while I'm in my hotel room or cabin, I don't want to worry about washing my hands every time I turn around. I'm bringing my wipes and make no apologies for it! haha I don't worry about it when I'm in public though - there's nothing I can do to make up for other people's poor hygiene except to wash my hands and use hand sanitizer. Sigh. ;)

I'm also a freak about this stuff too. When I use public restrooms, I hate the hand dryers, I like to take the towel I dry my hands with to use when opening the restroom door. The thought of the germs from people not washing their hands really gross me out.

I'm also a freak about this stuff too. When I use public restrooms, I hate the hand dryers, I like to take the towel I dry my hands with to use when opening the restroom door. The thought of the germs from people not washing their hands really gross me out.

Me too! Don't forget to get that paper towel BEFORE you wash your hands so you can use the towel to turn the water off and to dispense a new towel for drying your clean hands - don't wanna touch the germs on the faucet or towel dispenser, do you?

(I'm neurotic, I know... glad to know I'm not the only one! hehe)

Me too! Don't forget to get that paper towel BEFORE you wash your hands so you can use the towel to turn the water off and to dispense a new towel for drying your clean hands - don't wanna touch the germs on the faucet or towel dispenser, do you?

(I'm neurotic, I know... glad to know I'm not the only one! hehe)

OK since this is turning into confessions.

1. hope & pray the door pushes open & I don't have to pull it open.

2. grab a paper towel to open the bathroom stall door

3. use restroom

4. flush toilet with foot

5. use towel to turn on sink

6. use new towel to dry hand, that one has germs

7. open door with last towel

8. hope there is a trash can outside, if not, throw towel in my purse.

Maybe I'm the freak. :eek: I never use the top spread of beds not only for the hygiene but because they are just plain scratchy. I guess I don't worry much about it all. Life is full of germs and I try to wash my hands when I can. But, I am on vacation and haven't thought much about the dirty side of it. The only thing I have thought about is the hot tub on our balcony. Kind of hoping that has nice new water that I see them filling myself. :p Now, where did I put those clorox wipes? :)

Tricia

It's true...there are soooo many surfaces that have God knows what all over them, that we deal with every day of our lives. That being said, I too bring wipes and the anti-bacterial hand gel with me. The LAST place I want to get sick is on my cruise! I also always hit the elevator buttons with my knuckle
This past April I sailed on celebrity Zenith and there was waterless hand wash available in many places, especially by the food line. I was wondering if the other cruise lines did the same.

my friend was in med school studying germs and went into a handful of public restrooms in NYC - do you know what the cleanest part of the restroom was?? the toilet seat! And the part with the most germs - not surprising at all - was the on button for the hand driers. I will NEVER use one of those - always keep spare napkins in my purse. And speaking of purses - did you get the email about how dirty the bottom of purses are? we put them on the floor of a public restroom and then come home and put them on our table or counter - i don't anymore - and i clean off the bottom of purse every week now.

This past April I sailed on celebrity Zenith and there was waterless hand wash available in many places, especially by the food line. I was wondering if the other cruise lines did the same.

NCL Spirit had it available everywhere food was and many other places on the ship. They had it when you came back after a day in port too. Great idea.

IrisF

On my NoS sailing our cbin was right next to a crew access door, and we saw the cabin stewards putting duvets in the covers in the first day. I am sure everything (duvet covers and sheets) are washed in between sailings. I am not sure how often sheets are changed throught the week, but that is no big deal to me because realistically I am luck to change my sheets at home every 2 weeks or so.

IF EVERYONE used the waterless hand wash it would be wonderful...but many will not and they use the same serving pieces you do;) I take alcohol hand wipes and use them on my hands both before I start in the buffet line and after I get to my seat. I also do not take the top plate, I remove 2-3 set them aside and take the next one being careful not to touch any others.

I take Clorox wipes and do as others have mentioned...I wipe down every surface ( including the bathroom....) including the remote control, safe, and phone buttons.....along with every other surface one can think of:o ...including the furniture on the balcony! I also ask the steward to please use them when cleaning the room....and we leave a $10 bill right on top.;) We have come in several times and the steward was using them.

I take pillow covers from home and ask the steward to put them on the pillows. Also to take the bedspread off and not put it on during the cruise, ask for a blanket from the laundry (stating that if he can't get a fresh one from the laundry right away, then please don't put a blanket on until he/she can, and to triple sheet the bed...one bottom shirt, a top sheet, a fresh blanket and a sheet on top of that. I also personally check the bed for bugs. We also give a generous tip upfront explaining that this is for the service requests. ;) I take tennis socks to wear on my feet in the cabin....do not walk around with your bare feet on the carpets!! I have never had a problem with any steward regarding these requests.

Too funny. You all have no idea how dirty EVERYTHING is! I mean everything. All light switches, car door handles, pens, mail, money...etc...I no longer waste my time "cleaning" my cabin with those wipes. I figure, what the hay, I am livin on the edge :D

There was an article just last week in the travel section regarding a study of viral germs left in a hotel room by people with colds. I was certainly surprised, I didn't think these viral germs lived for so many hours on hard surfaces. But, they were there, the worst articles were the phone and the channel clicker for the TV.

From now on, I'll take a few disinfecting wipes along. However, you still aren't safe from these germs if you go out into public anywhere. Even though you may clean what is in your own cabin, the germs can be spread everywhere onboard a ship and especially airplanes.

You can never get away from all these little critters. So, the best advice is to wash your hands frequently and keep your hands out of your mouth, eyes and nose.

Archived