Military orders....... HELP

zebramatie1

I need some info from military people who have cancelled a cruise less than 3 weeks away. My sons friend just got orders and is leaving tomorrrow for Iraq. The problem is his roomate still wants to go. We've been told different scenarios by Carnival. We are actually trying to get someone to go in his place and just do the name change. If that doesn't work, my question is, can he switch his reservation over to another cabin that is sailing with us that is a 4 person cabin (2 are booked in it)? Instead of having to pay a single supplement just pay the 3rd person price? Their cabin was originally a 1a guarantee and upgraded to a 4a. Please I need some responses.

I wish I could help, but honestly I do not have any idea. I would call Carnival immediately though and stay on the phone until you are comfortable with the answer you are given. Best of luck, and Godspeed to your sons friend!

A few ideas come to mind:

1. Did they purchase insurance? Some policies cover being called into active service, some don't. (The Carnival policy excludes war service).

2. Was the cabin booked at a military rate?

3. I have heard of several instances where Carnival has allowed the military person to change the booking to a later cruise with no penalty for cancellation; but its on a case by case basis, you have to have your facts together and speak to a supervisor. This is where it helps to know the standard policy and to know what specific exception you are asking for. This does not help your son, but is good to know for his friend.

4. The standard policy in this case would normally be that one person in the room has to remain the same or cancellation charges apply. At this point in the timing, there would be a 50% penalty fee (29-8 days before) for the young man who is cancelling. I have heard various scenarious for the remaining passenger (your son) ranging from paying the other 50% to stay as a single passenger to owing nothing extra. Here is where a TA can be of tremendous assistance in sorting through the rules.

5.Moving your son into an existing cabin would constitute a cancellation of his original booking, 50% penalty applied, plus whatever the third person fare currently is in the existing cabin. There is also the possible glitch that the ship may have reached third person capacity (never mind that the actual people were previously booked on the cruise, now there is an open cabin and the cruiseline will want to sell it to a new couple, so you need to know that there is not a capacity issue before you pursue this option.)

The easiest option is to find a replacement person for the man who is on orders.

As they are trying to find someone to go in his place, they should mention upfront the need for an official birth certificate. Lots of people don't have them readily available and would need to order one right away.

Archived