Parasailing - need info.

WVGAL

DM and I are sailing on the SOV next month. Its her birthday and she wants to parasail on Coco Cay. OK that's fine BUT she's going to be 75! I think she's lost her mind, but she says she's always wanted to do that. I know I'd have to go with her and I'm a little hesitant because I wear glasses and I'm literally blind without them. I'm afraid they'd fall off. I figured I'd take and old pair and strap them on. I'd like comments, suggestions, and maybe a little encouragement. I'd also like to know when they reel you in, do you have a sense of falling. :eek: I'm a big chicken. Cluck Cluck.

It will be fine. I'm 50+ and always go . At least once a year. It is realy calm and peaceful up there. The boat is going fast but it feels like you are almost standing still. The view is awesome and is is quiet. I always wear my glasses and have never had a problem. The driver may ask if you want to have your "feet" dunked in the water. I said yes and they slowed down to lower me into the water and then gunned the boat to bring me back up again. I have also been on rides where they have landed me on deck and I have never even gotten wet. It is your choice, if you talk to the driver. Thumbs up meansgo higher. Thumbs down means go lower or take me down. Straight hands means I'm O.K. where I am. If you want a longer ride discreetly tip the driver before you go up. I tried to pay for a double ride and they said it was up to the boatn driver and just talk to him.

My husband has checked out the eqipment on most of the boats on our cruises and they have been well maintained and he says safe. He's the nervous type and says your life is hanging by that one bolt on all the rides at amusement parks.

Good luck and just relax, at most you may get wet if a gust of wind comes by as you are trying to land. These people are pretty skilled in landing on the deck.

Carolv712,

After reading your post, I think it's something I'd like to try. I think I'd be OK. I don't mind getting wet, but DM absolutely hates getting wet. I hope they get us on the deck. How long are you up there? Another question, what about your stuff like a purse or whatever while your up in the air? Do you just leave it on the deck?

Beth

I always have my water wallet. A small square waterproof case with ID sea pass, cash and credit card. I hang that from my neck. Everything else stays on the boat. The ride is approximately 10-15 minutes in the air. It is always over before I'm ready to come down. I have also brought my waterproof camera and have some great pictures of the boat and island.

Try it you will like it.

We did it at CocoCay and together we were over the weight limit posted at Shorex on RCI's website. The lady said no problem! We I did it! You don't even feel them reeling you in. You only notice that the boat is getting bigger. It's not windy, even when you first go off the deck. In fact, we didn't even think about taking DH's prescription glasses off! I just looked at the pic, yup, he's got 'em on with no tie-on strap, of course he's also wearing a HUGE grin! It was so calm and pretty up there! They only play out 400 feet of line. BTW, I'm 52 and DH is 53...we had no problems!!!!!! Your 75 yr old Mom can do it!

We just cruised on the Freedom which stopped at Labadee. My dad (74) and my niece (17) went together. They loved it. They just reel you out from the deck of the boat. You are up for 8 minutes. Then they just reel you back down to the deck. They LOVED it. They felt safe just leaving their things on the boat. They guys running it even used our camera to take pictures of their whole experience. Enjoy!

Stephanie

OK now I'm really excited. Thanks for all your positive comments and encouragement. I think I'll sign us up. BTW what is the weight limit? Since Coco Cay is the first day, we might not be over the limit yet from eating all that great cruise food. ;)

DM and I are sailing on the SOV next month. Its her birthday and she wants to parasail on Coco Cay. OK that's fine BUT she's going to be 75! I think she's lost her mind, but she says she's always wanted to do that. I know I'd have to go with her and I'm a little hesitant because I wear glasses and I'm literally blind without them. I'm afraid they'd fall off. I figured I'd take and old pair and strap them on. I'd like comments, suggestions, and maybe a little encouragement. I'd also like to know when they reel you in, do you have a sense of falling. :eek: I'm a big chicken. Cluck Cluck.

My DH and I signed up for the parasail when we visited Coco Cay. We started to get cold feet before we boarded the boat, but when we saw one of our tour mates was in her 70's, we went for it. It was a blast! The RCCL parasail is a dry parasail - meaning they launch you from the boat and you typically don't get wet. Go for it and enjoy...

If you have three people in your party can the third ride solo, or do they pair them with another solo?

We are going to Labadee, can we book it on the island or do we have to do it ahead of time?

In regards to your party of 3, we parasailed in St. Thomas on our last cruise and we had 3 in our group. I had to fly with my son because of his age which meant my DD would be the odd 'man' out. As it turned out she had a blast. We were on the cruise for her HS graduation and she got to fly with as she said, a really cute guy, who was also on a HS grad cruise. They will try to fly tandem if at all possible.

Gregg

We are in our 50's, first time I did it with DD at Key West and they were super. We were side by side and the guys doing it took great pictures of us! Helped they were young and my daughter was 22!!

Last year DH and I did it in Nassau. I sat in front of him and hated it. Liked the side by side so much better. If we would have walked around more we found a company that had them side by side when we were done. It was extremely windy that day and it whipped us around a couple of times:eek: . In KEy West they asked if we wanted "dipped" or not. Even after being a little scared in Nassau I would do it again and plan to this next trip. I just won't go if it is terribly windy!!!!:D

Don't worry about it and go for it. You'll enjoy it. My wife did it when she was in her 60's. She had had both of her knees replaced, and had just had her hip replaced for the second time about two months before. In fact, was usually in a wheel chair because of her arthritis. I wanted her to do something that would give her an emotional boost and that did it. She really enjoyed bragging about it to her freinds. We were on a platform boat, so didn't even have to run on the beach when we took off. We just sat on the platform, and the 'chute lifted us off. They winched us back on to the platform, and we just landed on the deck again.

200701141600_14.gif

We are going to Labadee, can we book it on the island or do we have to do it ahead of time?

My nephew decided he wanted to parasail when we got to CocoCay..we went to the parasailing hut and found it was sold out with no expectations for cancellations. :( Because of our experience and his disappointment, I would really encourage you to book ahead of time if it's something you really want to do. :)

Have a great time! :D

Archived