Name Tags at first dinner on ship

old Marine

George,

This is from an old "Navy" Salt.

I am terrible with names, to the point of embarrassing myself on occasion. I have found that if I repeat the person's name "often" the first night, I can usually remember all the names on the second night. I also do as AlexMD suggests and try silly little name games in my mind.

I blame this lack of name recognition on my part to my Navy Career, wherein, there were so few names to learn. There was Chief, Sergeant, Captain, etc., and those people always wore some sort of clue (collar devices, stripes, etc. :D :D )

Lois Clark, I don't get it. ;)

Put me down for not caring for name tags either, at least not at the dinner table. I can see them at larger gatherings where I might have trouble remembering my own name but in the dining room, no!!

Bill

Hi Alex....I knew the Superman scenerio would pop up somewhere.....:rolleyes: ....LOL

I guess with a name like Lois....it will be with me forever....;)

Have never seen a place card on a Celebrity cruise and I would never like to see them in use.

We like to switch our seats at the table each night. We ask for a large table and never sit in the same place at that table two nights in a row. Second night we get some strange looks from our tablemates as they seem to think we are sitting in their seats, but they learn the benefits of switching chairs very quickly. Gives us a chance to talk to all our table mates as well as making our waiter and assistant waiter know us by sight rather than where we sit. We had a table for 12 on one of our cruises and if we all didn't move around, we would never have gotten to know those sitting at the other end of the table.

Archived