El Yunque Rain Forest Day Hike

GMoney

I have a feeling I wont get many responses, but has anyone done this excursion? I'm sailing on the Noordam 12/16, and am looking for something different to do in PR. I'm already hiking in Dominica, and might as well do another, since I'll have the gear.

I went 4 years ago for Thanksgiving - did not go with a cruise. a friend of mine was stationed in PR so we went to visit for the holiday. We did one of the more difficult climbs down to the waterfalls. The walk down took about 45 minutes - that was only because the path was VERY narrow and it was wet. But other than that is was not difficult. (plus i had a 4 year old with me). When it was time to go back up i had a 4 year old that was tired and hungry. the trail was so narrow i couldn't carry her - if it wasn't for my girlfriend's husband (a ranger) we would still be playing in the waterfalls. You do not need any equipment for that trail- don't know about the others. You should go - it was fun. It's either that or hang out by the pigeon park - if you go the pigeon park - when you walk out turn left and a few stores down on your right is a little bar that serves the best sangri and you can take it with you while you walk thru the streets.

I have a feeling I wont get many responses, but has anyone done this excursion? I'm sailing on the Noordam 12/16, and am looking for something different to do in PR. I'm already hiking in Dominica, and might as well do another, since I'll have the gear.

Trying to find cruise hiking information is not very easy. We will be in Dominica next week and would like to go to Boiling Lake, but since its an eight hour hike and we are only in port for ten hours, we think the timing is too tight. What are you doing in Dominica?

I don't think I would pay ahead of time for a hike, as the rains at this time of year could play a huge role in whether you will even be able to get into

El Yunque. We went in 2004 at this time of year, and El Yunque was closed as the roads were so muddy and impassable. You will be there, with the gear, if it's clear and the roads are open, then worry about finding somewhere to hike that day. If you pay ahead of time, you may not be able to get a refund. The tour desk at the hotel wouldn't even book the excursion and take our money because she said they knew it wasn't going to happen. Have a great cruise.:D

I did the hike and booked it on the ship. We had a decent group that could handle the trip. Sometimes people book who aren't in shape to do it. Last year i booked a biking trip that was cancelled because of conditions so If it's too bad i'm sure they'll cancel.

It rained lightly so it was a little muddy and slick in spots. It was narrow. You have to have good shoes. I guess i was a little disappointed it was only 45 minutes down to the falls and 45 minutes back. It is a gorgeous place. I didn't have a poncho but bought one for $4 or 5 dollars and gave it to my nephew as a souvenir. I would recommend it.

As for Dominica. I went on a hike with a local, Mandoo. He was good. The only problem we had was that we were there 4 months after the hurricane came through. The regular paths were partly there and partly covered. Beautiful place with too much devastation. I hope they have recovered. It will take a long time to get the trees back.

hope that helps

michelle

I don't think I would pay ahead of time for a hike, as the rains at this time of year could play a huge role in whether you will even be able to get into

El Yunque. We went in 2004 at this time of year, and El Yunque was closed as the roads were so muddy and impassable. You will be there, with the gear, if it's clear and the roads are open, then worry about finding somewhere to hike that day. If you pay ahead of time, you may not be able to get a refund. The tour desk at the hotel wouldn't even book the excursion and take our money because she said they knew it wasn't going to happen. Have a great cruise.:D

That's good thought. I'll take it under consideration. Thank you.

As for Dominica. I went on a hike with a local, Mandoo. He was good. The only problem we had was that we were there 4 months after the hurricane came through. The regular paths were partly there and partly covered. Beautiful place with too much devastation. I hope they have recovered. It will take a long time to get the trees back.

Hi Michelle - Thanks for the info. How did you find Mandoo?

Trying to find cruise hiking information is not very easy. We will be in Dominica next week and would like to go to Boiling Lake, but since its an eight hour hike and we are only in port for ten hours, we think the timing is too tight. What are you doing in Dominica?

I agree! I've been googling like crazy and haven't found anything I think is very reliable. Here are some links in case they help. I am still undecided about exactly what to do in Dominica. I wanted to do Boiling Lake as well, but I'm not sure I have time. I've seen some recommendations for Middleham and Sari Sari Falls. Have fun whatever you decide.

http://www.dominica.dm/hiking.htm

http://www.kenshinterlandtours.com/

http://www.sidestep.com/travel-guides/text/caribbean-and-the-atlantic/caribbean/dominica?destId=FR2371&narrativeId=FR2371020088

Archived