Border wait times driving into Canada Seattle to Vancouver?

Crzytch

Ok, guys... didn't know quite where to post this question.

We are driving to Vancouver from an overnight in Seattle the night before our cruise. I've heard the border crossing on the I-5 can be crowded in the summer (we'll be going August 7th) and on the weekends (it's a Saturday). Does anyone have experience with crossing over on the I-5 to Canada in the summer on a weekend?

What kind of wait time can we expect?

I'll appreciate anyone's experience on this matter... but we may just end up leaving Seattle (Everett actually) really early (7AM or so) and just sitting outside of the CruisePark lot in Vancouver until they let us in if we get in early.

Yvette

Hi Yvette -

You have heard right! The wait time can be awful starting on Friday night up until Sunday evening especially during the summer. I have sat there for over almost two hours before, but then sometimes its only about 20mins. I think its kind of a luck of the draw thing, but I would assume it will take longer so that you would be upset if you sit there for a good hour waiting to cross the border.

Good luck!

Thanks! Do you know if there is an alternate crossing point that would be better... I read that there is another crossing point at Aldergrove. Anyone know if it would be worth going a little out of our way to hit that one and maybe miss some traffic? Thanks again!

crzy

my feeling is that if you know of an alternate crossing point so does everyone else ----have you thought about flying to vanc----------or if you have to be on the ground what about a bus at least you dont have to drive and there is a bathroom on the bus and you could nap

another beaverton resident here ----we flew up the last time we sailed out of vanc------then you only have to deal with the line at the airport on the canadian end

Hey lougee and crzytch--I too am from Beaverton. Born and raised there before moving to California. I am an Aloha High Class of 1983 graduate and a University of Oregon 1987 graduate. I'm sure you remember me!! Anyway, its always kind of neat to see how small the world can be sometimes.

We went up to Canada (we live in the Seattle area) last weekend to go camping. We used the "truck" border crossing and only waited about 5 minutes. This was at 5:15 PM on a Friday night. Unfortunately we didn't have such luck coming home on Sunday evening and waited almost an hour to cross back into the US.

I definitely recommend the "truck" crossing.

I've done it twice.

Once on the quick shuttle bus for a cruise. It took at least 2 hours each way. The bus on the way home was 4 hours, (some foreigners on the bus so it took forever to go through the border, had to go to a weighing station? and change a tire. many people on the bus missed their flight. Fortunately we were staying over in Seattle.

The other time we drove up for a visit to Seattle. Again it was about 2.5 hours each way. Both pre 911.

But Alaska is great. Next time if we don't want to drive we will take the train.

Archived