Victoria

Randyxl

We have it figured out for this year (I hope) as last year the BG were so crowded we had a miserable time there. Wall to wall people, on a Thursday AM, in September no less. Victoria is awesome! My suggestion would be do the IH in the AM and hit the gardens late, but still in time to get to the ship no matter what mode, if you have that much time... As to our figuring it out we booked 3 days prior to the cruise at the Empress this year so we will have all the time in the world to see it all before the ship leaves. Gardens, inner harbour, museum, and some great shops too. Just plan for a second visit down the road for anything you can't do this trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Vancouver/Victoria 6 days-no cruise.....did land/cruise last year and had no time left for this area. We had to get back to Seattle for flight home. Going back just to take in this area! What should we plan ahead for sure, and how should we travel once there? Should we rent a car? We have thought about staying 3 days in each city.....where to stay? Near the airport in Vancouver....downtown or the waterfront? On Victoria, our priority is ORCA viewing! Will the 2nd week of September still be a good time for this? Sorry to have so many questions....please HELP!

P.S. Our first grandchild was born in February.......her name is Victoria!

I always take a car over to Victoria- 2 nights there is enough unless you are headed to other areas?? Orca watching falls off by end of Sept. and sightings are not guaranteed. I would go out twice is needed if this is a priority? Go with a company that has the longest tours, my preference is zodiacs. In Vancouver- I like downtown, but also like north Vancouver with doing activities there. Stay near where most of your touring will be- verify what parking is.

Hello Budget Queen!

It was great to receive your reply! You helped us SO much last year when we traveled to Alaska for our first cruise/land-tour! Regarding Victoria, do you take your rental car on the ferry? I have heard it is $50 each way, plus an additional $10/pp. Would it be better to go on Pacific Coast Line (bus) and rent a car when we get on the island? How do you prefer to do this? Also, if you could recommend some nice establishments for lodging, we'd appreciate it. We have just started researching this.....is $121/nt. on Victoria what we would have to expect to pay? And, at the Vancouver Airport, for we get in late at night, would you recommend a hotel at that location? Thank-you SO very much for your assistance!!

No I always take a rental from Vancouver or Wa. The Victoria Chatau is a nice hotel as is the Empress- But the Days Inn is a great location and may be a better bargain?? I go elsewhere other than the Inner Harbor and even the drive from Butchart is a benefit with your own car off the ferry. You do need reservations in season for a car on the ferry- adding to costs- unless you get an early ferry or can wait in line if needed with an early start? At the Vancouver airport you may want to consider Priceline??

If we wanted to go to the gardens and then back to the harbor area to sightsee - what would be our most economical and best mode of transportation? We will be there from 6:00-12:00am on a Saturday. Or plan is to check out the gardens, Empress Hotel and the harbor area. Does our time alot for all of these items?

Archived