Question for Aussie Gal

roberts2005

First, Wecome back from your recent trip. Would love to hear more details about the ports and how you arranged tours.

Didn't see that you responded to my other post. But in general does it make sense to go to Melbourne or should we just see some of the ocean road?

Thanks

Robert,

Even though I have responded to your other post, I will answer here as well. I love Melbourne and am very proud of our beautiful, clean city with its gardens etc. so it is a hard question to answer. It depends on whether you want to see a city or our countryside and beaches.

I also love the Great Ocean Road and have not been on a road like it anywhere else in the world. The nearest is the Amalfi Coast road which is also beautiful. Our GOR has a history. It was built by the diggers after the first world war when they returned home and didn't have any jobs to go to. It was cut by hand and it literally follows the ocean for nearly 200kms. At times when in a car or a bus, especially if you are on the outside closest to the sea, it can be quite daunting.

You can get to see our 12 Apostles on this road plus lovely seaside towns. Lorne, which is a beautiful resort, is very pretty as the eucalypts grow right down to the ocean which is unusual. The reason being that the beach faces north and therefore the trees are not affected by the cold, salty southern winds.

With regard to our trip, I am posting a review on the HAL board. It was fantastic.

Jennie

Archived