Controlling your kids at sea

suey

Hi everyone! I just read the above topic on 'today on cruise critic' quite a good read and one I think some parents should read. I have on occasion witnessed some bratty behaviour on board. Even though we all want to have a good time on board (kids included) I think parents should still enforce some expectations on their kids when travelling. Many a time my elderly mother has been nearly knocked over by kids skylarking in the lifts. We always threaten my grandkids that if we hear of or catch them misbehaving they will be grounded in the cabin, although this next cruise will be the first time we have given them any freedom (they will be 11 and 13). I know it is hard to know what your kids are doing all the time but many a time I have seen parents just watching their kids bad behaviour. OK off my soapbox now and I do like kids and teenagers, after all I work with them all day.:rolleyes:

I think that's a great point to bring up. Just because you're on holiday, you shouldnt let the kids go wild, lol...

Although I must say, I was dreading that part of our cruise as I can't really tolerate bratty kids and to be honest, I found most of the kids on our cruise really well-behaved and I didnt complain about them once. I even made a few young little friends that we played card games with in the library! :D On the whole, I found the kids on our cruise to be no trouble at all. They all kind of stuck to the Lido deck and their kids club anyway.

Good point Suey. I have 3 kids (10,12 & 15) & I gave them a good talking to before we cruised in April. The usual thing ("if you play up you'll lose the privelege of signing yourself in & out"). I have to say I was very proud of them and to be honest I didn't expect any different of them. I know, you're all probably thinking I'm just a biased mum but I honestly believe we have brought our kids up the right way. I also have to say that on a whole (and there were lots of kids on board) all the kids were well behaved. No complaints whatsoever from me. The trouble is, the ones with the kids that are "feral" are usually the ones that don't care what they are doing anyway. The parents that do care usually have the well behaved kids.

Karen

Archived