Parking for the Dawn + other questions

Jamaicamecrazy13

We are going to book on the Dawn for our 5th anniversary on 7/7/07 (wow I just realized what a date that was as I typed it). Anyway, we are planning to drive from Boston to NY and were wondering if anyone has any money saving/hassle saving tips for parking a car for the week. Anyone know what it costs at the pier/elsewhere? Anyone know about the PATH?

We are also wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best inside cabins to book. We are definitely traveling on somewhat of a budget with two under the age of three and mom not working to be at home with them:). This will be our first time away and we want it to be perfect.

Also, of the surcharge restaurants which one/s cannot be missed? We love really good food, ranging from burgers and dogs(if they are tasty) to Indian, Thai, sushi and everything in between. We are not picky about what kind of food we eat as long as it is well prepared and tasty.

What are some of the things you said, "I wish I brought a ...." about? We haven't been on a cruise in 9 years and were on RCCL last. We are so excited!!!

Have you thought about renting a car? It might be cheaper to rent in Boston and drop off in NY, and do the same when you return, as apposed to paying to park at the pier.

Even cheaper, look at booking the bus from Boston to NYC. Parking in NYC will cost you almost as much as one of you children's cruise fares. No cheap parking in the NYC area including New Jersey.

Parking is $24/day max. $180.

Don't expect "perfect" with the Dawn, it's a nice ship with good food and service, but most likely not on the quality of your last sailing.

The Italian and Mexican resturants are free, as is the Blue Lagoon. The regular dining room offers "good" food- not great.

Inside cabins are pretty uniform, you might want to avoid those near noisy areas however.

If you are looking at the Path train??? Then you are looking at driving "through" NY to Jersey?? As stated, there is no cheap parking near the area. If near a Metro North stop in Conn. parking there is usually $4/day with free weekends, nice ride into Grand Central, then if you pack light and have no mobility limitations, take the 42 bus and walk 6-8 blocks to the ship.

Having just done some research on this for our upcoming cruise on the Dawn, weighing all the options, we have decided to drive and park at the terminal. Although taking the bus may be cheaper in price, it is not as convenient as driving, especially since you will have 2 small children to worry about. Two small children and all the luggage for the cruise would be way too much of a hassle for me, although some people may say that driving to NYC is too much of a hassle. :D

Rosemary

Archived