It's decided-next cruise NCL

mbisson

I had originally offered to send the wife & her sister on a little 3/4 day X cruise out of Seattle (Oct 07) for a little "sister time" since they see each other so seldom, and figured we (wife & I) would probably do a Caribbean cruise a few months later (with NCL).

That was all well & good. Then wifey says "how about considering skipping X and doing Alaska again? Sis has never cruised Alaska & she would probably love to go to Juneau!" (wife & Sis both lived in Juneau in the old days).

So--X is out, NCL Alaska is in probably May '08 out of Seattle (despite Alaska voters saying they really don't want us ;) ). So now we're in a wait & see mode for itinaries (I expect them Apr/May '07) and expect the Pearl & Star to sail the same schedules as they will next year....But of course, they could change itinaries/ships/whatever by then. But anyway, it's Alaska on NCL, '08, that much I am sure of.

Will probably book as soon as the itinaries are up, watch for price drops, and then hope for an upsell. Probably the first sailing of the year. But now, of course, that "sister time" has to include me LOL

-Monte

Good for you, I have been trying to talk the wife into going back to Alaska. Have been looking at a few good deals in May on Princess and RCCL. Just need her to want something so I can win this one on a trade off........... Will probably have to tone down the activities if I get to go since we spent $3K on excursions last year :eek:

Will probably have to tone down the activities if I get to go since we spent $3K on excursions last year :eek:

Everyone has different budgets/priorities. We usually "low ball" the Alaska cruises (which means they still cost more than any of our other cruises ;) ) and do a lot of "self exploring" and car rentals since we're familiar with most of the ports, and have gotten some of the higher price excursions out of our system.

-Monte

Everyone has different budgets/priorities. We usually "low ball" the Alaska cruises (which means they still cost more than any of our other cruises ;) ) and do a lot of "self exploring" and car rentals since we're familiar with most of the ports, and have gotten some of the higher price excursions out of our system.

-Monte

We usually low ball them all, noticed I could get on the ship for around $600 each in may and Now that Southwest fly's from Raleigh to Seattle (and I do have a freebie coming from them), thought I would see if I could work my magic with her and go back to Alaska as it is such an awesome place. She just has not wanted anything big lately..... hold on lease on her car is coming up ummmm wheels turning.......

I thought you were doing a hawaii run for your next cruise?

Everything changed once the wife thought her sister might like Alaska ;) . And I'll admit, for that reason it makes a lot of sense.

My pref would be Hawaii or Caribbean (especially during the winter). It's nice to warm up during that time of year. But I kept getting outvoted 1-1 ;) ..Not a problem though-If I'm gonna be "forced" to sail north, I'll just have to make the best of it...LOL

-Monte

One of my favorite cruise vacations was a one way cruise to Alaska.

Once I got there I did a great land tour around the Kenai Peninsula and to Kodiak Island. I know you're happy with your existing plans but something to think about if you're up for a little more. Wouldn't be too bad flying one way from Anchorage to Washington State.

Everything changed once the wife thought her sister might like Alaska ;) . And I'll admit, for that reason it makes a lot of sense.

My pref would be Hawaii or Caribbean (especially during the winter). It's nice to warm up during that time of year. But I kept getting outvoted 1-1 ;) ..Not a problem though-If I'm gonna be "forced" to sail north, I'll just have to make the best of it...LOL

-Monte

You already live far enough into the cold weather.... you'd figure she'd want a change and go for some warm breezes once a year. Oh well, I'm sure you enjoy nevertheless :D

When do the rates for Alaska '08 come out? I was looking at the '07 rates to get an idea and was surprised... sooooo expensive, more than Hawaii this year!

I know we usually do well by booking as soon as the rates are posted, so we'll try that for '08... thanks

I was looking at the '07 rates to get an idea and was surprised... sooooo expensive, more than Hawaii this year!

I know we usually do well by booking as soon as the rates are posted, so we'll try that for '08... thanks

Actually, Alaska is normally more than Hawaii, although you can sometimes get some decent discounts on the one way cruises (which NCL does not offer). I asked the question about timing in another thread and didn't get any replies, so I started diging and it appears that the NCL fares normally come out in the Apr/May area.

ALSO-the fares are normally lowest for Alaska for the 1st couple sailings in May, and then again around Labor Day (or later). Kids are in school at those times, so not as many families can/will cruise, so there is less demand and therefor lower prices (normally)

Like you, I'm also hoping to book as soon as they come out and then watch for price drops.

-Monte

Actually, Alaska is normally more than Hawaii, although you can sometimes get some decent discounts on the one way cruises (which NCL does not offer).

Usually that is true but there is an unusual sailing on the NCL Sun from Vancouver to Honolulu on September 16th.

If you wanted to be a real cruise junkie you could board early and do the prior Alaska cruise on the same ship, for a fire and ice combo of both alaska and hawaii. Since the cruise goes one way to hawaii, you could extend your stay in a hawaiian hotel there.

Usually that is true but there is an unusual sailing on the NCL Sun from Vancouver to Honolulu on September 16th.

If you wanted to be a real cruise junkie you could board early and do the prior Alaska cruise on the same ship, for a fire and ice combo of both alaska and hawaii. Since the cruise goes one way to hawaii, you could extend your stay in a hawaiian hotel there.

A legal back to back cruise, because the Sun will be sailing from Vancouver.

Actually, Alaska is normally more than Hawaii, although you can sometimes get some decent discounts on the one way cruises (which NCL does not offer). I asked the question about timing in another thread and didn't get any replies, so I started diging and it appears that the NCL fares normally come out in the Apr/May area.

ALSO-the fares are normally lowest for Alaska for the 1st couple sailings in May, and then again around Labor Day (or later). Kids are in school at those times, so not as many families can/will cruise, so there is less demand and therefor lower prices (normally)

Like you, I'm also hoping to book as soon as they come out and then watch for price drops.

-Monte

Thanks Monte .... Now I have 5 months to do my homework!! Good thing DH and I are 'empty nesters' now so we can travel in the low/off season.

I was seriously considering Alaska for Sept. '07 but then the rates came out for the Dawn's 11 night CA/NE and I couldn't resist cruising on her again before she leaves NY (will be the 4th time for us).

So now I'll keep looking for advice on Alaska cruising ...

Thanks Monte .... Now I have 5 months to do my homework!! Good thing DH and I are 'empty nesters' now so we can travel in the low/off season.

So now I'll keep looking for advice on Alaska cruising ...

If you're look for advice ;) if this is your first Alaska cruise and you don't know if you'll do another.....if you do a RT (normally called inside passage cruise) try, to get one that includes Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is also really nice. Sawyer is great, but the ships often have to turn around long b4 the glacier because of the amount of ice in the water. So that would only be my 3rd choice of itinaries (glaciers). We've been up there enough that which Glacier we see isn't a hugh priority for us and if the price is significantly less, we'll go ahead and choose a less desirable glacier day.

You might also want to check out the Alaska forum in the ports area of cruise critic. One frequent poster there (and sometimes here) is named "Budget Queen". She's a good source for info, but her "budget" (especially for tours/excursions) is out of my league LOL. Unfortunately, not only are Alaska cruises expensive, but so are the excursions!!!

jmo

-Monte

I had originally offered to send the wife & her sister on a little 3/4 day X cruise out of Seattle (Oct 07) for a little "sister time" since they see each other so seldom, and figured we (wife & I) would probably do a Caribbean cruise a few months later (with NCL).

That was all well & good. Then wifey says "how about considering skipping X and doing Alaska again? Sis has never cruised Alaska & she would probably love to go to Juneau!" (wife & Sis both lived in Juneau in the old days).

So--X is out, NCL Alaska is in probably May '08 out of Seattle (despite Alaska voters saying they really don't want us ;) ). So now we're in a wait & see mode for itinaries (I expect them Apr/May '07) and expect the Pearl & Star to sail the same schedules as they will next year....But of course, they could change itinaries/ships/whatever by then. But anyway, it's Alaska on NCL, '08, that much I am sure of.

Will probably book as soon as the itinaries are up, watch for price drops, and then hope for an upsell. Probably the first sailing of the year. But now, of course, that "sister time" has to include me LOL

-Monte

Look forward to seeing you on our crusie. We are also looking at the last week of May 08. We are looking at the Pearl mini suite.

Nancy

Look forward to seeing you on our crusie. We are also looking at the last week of May 08. We are looking at the Pearl mini suite.

Nancy

that would be great! That could end up being when we book.

-Monte

Thanks Monte, Yes, this would be our first Alaska cruise and probably only once. We'll be sure to cruise Glacier Bay then, which is really what I want to see most of all.. the glaciers..

I'll be sure to check the Alaska posts too...

Archived