P&O Cruises on Today Tonight Again!

:mad: OMG I was so angry. Are they ever going to give up. I think this was just payback for getting thrown off the ship. Maybe they are even peeved that they have many complaints on their website from P&O supporters.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have just watched it, had the video set all week. It is scary, it looks so real and believable. Wonder what is fact and whether any of it is legitimate. They claim that P&O had said something about regretting the problems or something.

Logged straight on here to see if anyone else had seen it.

I have just watched it, had the video set all week. It is scary, it looks so real and believable. Wonder what is fact and whether any of it is legitimate. They claim that P&O had said something about regretting the problems or something.

Logged straight on here to see if anyone else had seen it.

Missed it. We were out shopping, and also missed the Sky News editon at 8.30 as well.

After reading Skyrules' post of the statement by P&O regarding this, I'd say this is another below the belt attempt by TT. I guess that's their job, being a rat!

The irony of it all is P&O will make a honest statement public, but the speculators, TT, who will sensationalise and manipulate the story to sell are the ones the majority of the public will believe! That being the case, how can people say they make rational and valid judgements in their own lives?

I guess this means though, there will be less of these types of people on our beloved cruises!

It does seem that current affair type shows have lost the plot. They should realize we would rather they tackled problems like Star-man says, pensioners struggling, consumers being ripped off in just about every purchase they make, farmers at the end of their rope (some literally). These shows will go to any length to 'prove' their point. I am sick of them and quite frankly don't watch them anymore so I missed this story.

• 3 weeks later...

P&O or it's subsidiaries have paid tens of millions in fines over the last several years for illegal dumping of oil and other wastes. If it washed up on your beaches you all would be having a bloody fit. They dump in Vanuatu because it has little enforcement power. Just because you like the cruises don't make excuses for criminal activity that is devastating to the environment.

Well one thing would be to complain to P&O and say that you are a faithful customer, like the cruises, but do not appreciate those acts that are illegal and damage the environment. If customers, especially repeat customers, voice such concern then it may feed into some of the pressure that is on crusie lines and freighters to modify their practices. I don't go on cruises myself, but everyone else in my family does, and they love them. I'm not saying turn on the people you like -- I understand that many close relationships with crew and passengers develop on cruises and that it is a fabulous way for many people to disconnect from the daily drumbeeat of worklife. It's corporate, not the employees having contact with the public, that are dribing events. I don't live in Australia and have no idea what Today Tonight is, but companies are inflicting a cost on all of us by treating the Pacific (and elsewhere) as a sewage dump.

There is no arguement that the waste got dumped, and that it is a terrible thing for the environment.

Everyone is blaming P&O because the waste initially came from a P&O ship. If they had discharged it into the sea, yes they would be guilty. They didn't. They discharged it into a tanker and the tanker drove away. That is all an ship has to do - discharge into a tanker. If the tanker driver then decides to throw it all over the streets that is entirely up to him. Once the oil gets into the tanker it is no longer the responsibility of the shipping company. Just as the rubbish you put out for council is no longer your responsibility once the council have collected it and driven off down the street.This is standard shipping industry practice.

If P&O had opened the doors and dumped oil in the sea or wherever, I'm sure we would be up in arms. But they didn't.

They didn't dump it, not because "my-favorite-cruiser-couldn't-possibly-be-dumping-waste-because-like. . .-I-like-'em-soooo-much" but because the waste was no longer theirs - it was the responsibility of the waste disposal company.

Be mad at the waste discharge company for not disposing of it properly. But being mad at P&O is as useful as being mad at Shell for supplying it in the first place.

Well one thing would be to complain to P&O and say that you are a faithful customer, like the cruises, but do not appreciate those acts that are illegal and damage the environment. If customers, especially repeat customers, voice such concern then it may feed into some of the pressure that is on crusie lines and freighters to modify their practices. I don't go on cruises myself, but everyone else in my family does, and they love them. I'm not saying turn on the people you like -- I understand that many close relationships with crew and passengers develop on cruises and that it is a fabulous way for many people to disconnect from the daily drumbeeat of worklife. It's corporate, not the employees having contact with the public, that are dribing events. I don't live in Australia and have no idea what Today Tonight is, but companies are inflicting a cost on all of us by treating the Pacific (and elsewhere) as a sewage dump.

I can see your point, and yes I agree that there always needs to be awareness on the corporate side of the effects that shipping has on the environment. And I agree it would have been much better for P&O to discharge it in Brisbane.

Hopefully they have realised now not to repeat this mistake.

Don't make assumptions about what cruisecritic contributers have done. How do you know that we haven't already contacted P & O as this happened weeks ago and is old news now. This is a cruising forum not really an enviromental forum. Personally, I have a tremendous regard for the environment and in my work have to consider the environment every day. If you don't go on cruises then why check out this forum? Hopefully if you read other topics on here you will get the 'bug' too and join us happy cruisers!

I am finally buying into this discussion.

Whilst I hated Today Tonights sensationalist reporting on this topic and don't believe everything they also report. I am concernced that P&O were part of this. I think it is a valid point to say they didn't actually do the dumping but you do need to think that surely they are aware that Vanuatu is not as economically developed as Australia and wouldn't have the same guidelines/facilities for disposal that we have.

I think that P&O have accepted responsibility and are attempting to do somthing about it. I have felt strongly about various issues with P&O and have contacted them regarding my thoughts and opinions and not just ranted here.

It is very strange that there are so many first time posters that suddenly turn up and make a critical statement and then either disappear or continue critiscising. However, please don't yell at me regulars, I am also concerned that we have been less than receptive regarding other peoples opinions and if it isn't happy P&O then they are told to bugger off.

I think we should possibly stop posting on this topic as we will all have a different opion and it looks like it might turn nasty again

I think we should possibly stop posting on this topic as we will all have a different opion and it looks like it might turn nasty again

I agree.. Looks like we are heading down the path of having another thread deleted... What is happening to our friendly cruising thread?!? Actually I just had a thought maybe people are finding us now we are called P&O - Australia!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I agree too. It is old news, and hopefully P&O have learnt from it.

I know I get a bit defensive when talking about P&O when I don't have a complaint about them myself :) . But it was a bit annoying that we were suddenly invaded by the investigators from TT stirring us up!

Anyway, 'nuff said.. off home soon to watch Naomi's Final Farewell! :)

Probably a wise idea ADF - I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this 'debate'. I think we should just agree to disagree on this issue.

Kym

Dear HOWSTHIS, I didn't make assumptions about what posters had or had not done. You asked "what can we do" and I gave an opinion. Yes, I should say that I got to this board through the P&O-Australia link. It may draw people in who have opinions that do not jive with your desires. I will retire from posting here, but want to point out that P&O has repeatedly dumped oil all around the world. That's why I say pressure needs to be put on corporate. People naturally feel loyalty to a company with which they've had good experiences. I just don't think we ought to run together the actions and pressure from the greedy bean counters at the corporate-policy level with the humanness of employees who interact with passengers aboard the ships. It seems to me perfectly fine and coherent to love the cruises and the cruise personnel but despise the pressures and policies that cause ships to foul the waters.

Dear HOWSTHIS, I didn't make assumptions about what posters had or had not done. You asked "what can we do" and I gave an opinion. Yes, I should say that I got to this board through the P&O-Australia link. It may draw people in who have opinions that do not jive with your desires. I will retire from posting here, but want to point out that P&O has repeatedly dumped oil all around the world. That's why I say pressure needs to be put on corporate. People naturally feel loyalty to a company with which they've had good experiences. I just don't think we ought to run together the actions and pressure from the greedy bean counters at the corporate-policy level with the humanness of employees who interact with passengers aboard the ships. It seems to me perfectly fine and coherent to love the cruises and the cruise personnel but despise the pressures and policies that cause ships to foul the waters.

I realised that you had an agenda by your name.... poisoning through soil contamination......

Cadmium is released into the air everyday... how did you dispose of your last camera ?

thank you for your contribution.

regards, Lorraine:eek:

I realised that you had an agenda by your name.... poisoning through soil contamination......

Cadmium is released into the air everyday... how did you dispose of your last camera ?

thank you for your contribution.

regards, Lorraine:eek:

Can't resist one last reply to a swipe. Actually, I was thinking of the color. Not even an "environmentalist." Even if I were, does it make the dumping less offensive. Easier to write things off as the result of someone's pet peeve than face reality?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived