10 most expensive cruises in Forbes

dkjretired

Well I think I will pass on those salings.;) Boy that first one $129,000/day. Whew. No thank you I am just as happy on Celebrity and Princess. But thanks anyway for the site.

Marilyn

Hi Roy,

We got back from our cruise with Peg couple of days ago. Had lots of fun. Booked an RCCL cruise for next year though. Disappointed that Celebrity doesn't offer Caribbean itineraries from this area anymore.

If you ever do decide to throw away your life savings for several days on the Annaliese, we'll be glad to be a part of the 36 guests it can accomodate. We'll take care of the tips.:)

-Rich

I really have to wonder how Forbes came up with their numbers for the regular cruise ships as opposed to those private yachts. For example on Crystal, a line that I have taken segments of world cruises,the full world cruise fare, in the Crystal Penthouse (the most expensive on the ship), priced out at $227,695. The least expensive fare was $47,290 for a C category cabin. A 17 day segment in the Crystal Penthouse was just a tad over $47,000. I don't know how they came up with the $100K plus figure, but that isn't anywhere near correct. I really would love to know how they calculated their fares.

Yikes! And they are probably always full. We must be in the wrong business--well, I guess being retired is not IN business, lol.

Our next cruise on Celebrity to the Mexican Riv. costs $105 per day, per person (Ocean View cabin) including port charges and taxes. That's more in our price range.

I just got a bulletin from a discount cruise company advertising even less than that for the same cruise, including airfare.

I expected to see a description of The World, a ship with condos that people buy and live in most of the time. The ship just keeps sailing around the world and pax come and go as they please in any port. I saw a show about it on the Travel Channel a while back. I guess it's how the OTHER half lives, but I'll take my half any day. :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

I really have to wonder how Forbes came up with their numbers for the regular cruise ships as opposed to those private yachts. For example on Crystal, a line that I have taken segments of world cruises,the full world cruise fare, in the Crystal Penthouse (the most expensive on the ship), priced out at $227,695. The least expensive fare was $47,290 for a C category cabin. A 17 day segment in the Crystal Penthouse was just a tad over $47,000. I don't know how they came up with the $100K plus figure, but that isn't anywhere near correct. I really would love to know how they calculated their fares.

Kitty:

Reminds me of the old saying, if you have to ask you can't afford it....

The calculation was based on the cost for two passengers - the normal complement for a "cabin". I just checked the Crystal website for their World Cruise 2007. The 18 day segement (compared to the 19 day segment cited in Forbes) priced out at the full rate (no early booking or Crystal Society discount) was $53,370 per passenger, or $112,670 per cabin for the Crystal Penthouse. So the Forbes quoted price of $107,768 was undoubtedly correct.

It's good to "see" you again.

Where have you been lately? I'm sure that your travels are interesting and I'd love an update every now and then if you'll email.

How is your lovely wife? Tell her Neil and I say hello!

We're off on a Celebrity cruise for New Year's Eve--figured a ship full of strangers to end the year might yield new friends by the start of the next year. In March we're sailing the Paul Gauguin for two weeks Tahiti to Tahiti to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

I hope to 'see' you or 'hear' from you soon.

Helene

Well I think I will pass on those salings.;) Boy that first one $129,000/day. Whew. No thank you I am just as happy on Celebrity and Princess. But thanks anyway for the site.

Marilyn

Yes but think of all the money you'd save not having to pay the "outrageous" drink prices so many are complaining about on these boards.;)

dkjretired thanks for the article - can not believe the per diem fare for some of the cruise lines mentioned in the article. Obviously, the cost of chartering a private yacht would be high.

Our experience with high end suites has been considerably different. On each of our six Celebrity cruises, we have had Royal Suites [approximately 650 square feet with a 95 square foot veranda on C-class ships, and 195 square feet on M-class ships]. Our per diem for two passengers in a Royal Suite has ranged from a low of approximately $820.00 [Mercury - Mexican Riviera] to over $1,100 [infinity - Alaska]. It seems that the itinerary can add or subtract 20-25% or more to the fare. Our biggest bargain for a Royal Suite is coming a year from now on Millie where the per day cost for the two of us is approximately $700.00. We guess that TA's are cheaper.

Interestingly enough we are going on Silver Seas Silver Shadow next month which vessel was mentioned in the article. While we do not have the Owner's suite [which is actually a combination of a suite and an adjoining cabin to get two bedrooms], we do have a Silver Suite which is 701 square feet with a good sized veranda. Our per diem is approximately $900 for two passengers, which puts it in the mid range of the fares on our Celebrity cruises. The really big difference here is the fact that Silver Seas is all inclusive and the fare includes wines, booze, etc. as well as tips.

We would guess that the world cruise aspect would be the reason for the greatly elevated fares.

Hope the above is of interest to those pax who are considering a high end suite. The costs in our opinion compare rather favorably to the cost of staying at a four or five star land resort, considering that food is included in the fare for cruises.

Archived