Costa maya pics

19snapshot

We loved Costa Maya. It wasn't crowded. We did a little shopping, watched the entertainers and then hit the beach. It was quaint and lovely. Here is what it looked like.

PICT0207.jpg

PICT0175.jpg

PICT0186.jpg

Great pics, what beach is the top photo from/of?

Thanks

-Mike

Mike, The top picture is from the same beach as the bottom shot. It is about 1/2 mile to the left of the pier, but there didn't seem to be an easy way to get there on foot. I believe it was called Majuhaul or something like that. We rented a car because it was cheap and we didn't see any cabs. The beach was really pretty and the kids loved playing in the gentle surf. Most of our fellow passengers either stayed at the port complex, which is nice, or took excursions. We wanted a quiet relaxing beach, and were happy that we found it. The shopping was right across the street and we bought some silver and some leather goods. If you like to haggle, this is the place to shop. If you don't, stick to the shopping area in the port. The port was clean and the people were friendly. There were local dancers entertaining us poolside and there was a nice saltwater pool. The one real downside to this port: the pier is quite long and we waited about 20 minutes in the broiling hot sun with no shade for a shuttle. It was hard on my 80 year old mother (she's sitting with my sister in the last pic). Other than that, we all had a great time at this port. It was myhusband and I, my sister, my mother and my three children (16,11,7). Of course, if you are looking for an active day...you might want to consider an excursion.;)

PICT0202.jpg

Thanks 19snapshot,

We are not looking for anything active, so we will go into Majahaul, and find a nice beach to relax, eat, and drink.:D

-Mike

Mike,

Try the Cat's Meow. It has good food and drink. The waiters will bring your food and drink across the street to the beach. Try the margaritas. I believe they were 4.50. They come in a small glass.

Dave

glass.jpg.e2291587911828b908d9182b4dbbbf63.jpg

We were in Costa Maya last Friday (Nov.10)....definitely take a seat at the Cat's Meow in Majahaul! We had the best Pina Colada's for $5.00 anywhere and a bucket of 6 beers for $10.00. Such friendly people, it was one of our favorite ports. Be sure to ask for Hugo at the Cat's Meow, he was our waiter and a wonderful guy! Wish I were there now.....

What sorts of jewellry and leather goods did you purchase??? I can't wait for my trip in March and love to SHOP!!!!

I would save your jewelry shopping for Cozumel. Prices are higher especially in the port shops. A good example is liquor. A bottle of Corralejo Reposada tequila cost $56 for a 500ml bottle. I can buy this same bottle in Cozumel for $22 for a 1 liter bottle. A savings of 150% plus I get 500ml free.

Dave

What sorts of jewellry and leather goods did you purchase??? I can't wait for my trip in March and love to SHOP!!!!

We bought some pretty sterling silver pieces near the beach. We also bought some leather goods (our DS got a leather belt and our other DS got a leather wallet). We bought the prettiest sundress for our DD. At the port, my mother bought a black coral and gold cross slide that she gets complimented on all the time. They were solid on the price of that one until we were leaving for the day and then they negotiated some. She absolutely loves it and wears it literally every day. The jewelry stores on board ship had better deals on tanzanite, which is one of my favorite stones (I collect). We had fun shopping in Costa Maya, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

mike0805,

When you exit your ship there will be a trolley waiting to take you ashore. if you proceed through the terminal building toward the backside you'll see a sign "taxis------->"

follow that sign around to the outside of the back of the building. You'll find a taxi booth there with prices listed for cab rides to several different destinations. (Majahul being one of them). (pronounced MA-HA-WALL)

Buy a ONE-WAY tic to Majahul. ($3) Spend as much time as you like there. The entire town is only about 6-8 blocks long, is lined with a beach on 1 side and stores/retaurants/bars on the other. The entire length of the beach is lined with many palapa-style bars, most of which have a restaurant located accross the street, and will provide you with a loungechair if you buy your food & drinks from their establishment.

When you're ready to return to either your ship or the cruise terminal area, you can purchase a return taxi ride from a booth located on the 1 main road through majahul in the center of town. (return ride is $2) Then spend some time at the pool area/shops/restaurants if you'd like before getting back on your ship.

Hope this helps,

Annie

Archived