Copper River - anyone been there

ruetundra

We were there last year. The lodge is really nice. We took a 4 wheel ATV tour that was really great. Also went to the welcome center at the park entrance, toured some exhibits there. Took the Prince William Sound trip from Valdez to Whittier, unfortunalely it was raining and visibility was poor. We really saw very little. Upon arrival at Whittier, we were bussed to Seward to join the Coral. I understand that Princess is not using Seward any more so you will be embarking at Whittier.

Tahitian Princess July 27, 2004

I have stayed in the area, but like the action in Valdez better. Best from here are the flight tours to Kenicott. Will you have a car- it really is vitally necessary as anything of interest requires transportation and on your own for the most options. You are no where near any cruise ship boarding from the Copper center area. If going out of Whittier- and NOT sailing College Fjords- the glacier boat tours are HIGHLY recommended.

I was looking at the Princess book for land tours and found one that goes to Copper River. However not much is ever said about Copper River. The reason I liked it so much was you get 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Copper River. Plus you fly into Anchorage, not Fairbanks. And this land tour also takes you across Prince William Sound to embark the ship in Whittier.

Thanks Derf for all the information. The airboat excursion sounds wonderful. We are picking Princess because they cruise Glacier Bay. Hopefully in 3 or 4 years I can get back to Alaska and cruise a differenct Bay and then stay at the other lodge at Kenia. Have you done Alaska? Did you go through Princess and do a land tour also?

Budget Queen, no we will not be renting a car. We want the freedom of watching all the scenery, along with no hassles for the luggage. Maybe someday we will feel different. And who knows we are still in the planning stages. We have barely started to look at Alaska. We are more familar with the Caribbean and Disney World.

Thanks Again!!

Just back from our 16 day cruisetour that included 2 days at Copper. Actually we were supposed to go to Dawson, but because of the fires they gave us a day at Valdez and the Glacier cruise, which was awesome. Then we got an extra day at Copper. It is a beautiful lodge. There is really nothing around it though. They do have a shuttle service that will take you to the National Park and Copper Center. We did the Jet Boat Excursion which was awesome. They also gave us the City tour as part of the accomadations for missing Dawson. That was OK. The restaurant is awesome, yes it is pricey, but what Princess Lodge isn't! We really enjoyed our stay there. I will have pics up shortly.

Toodles,

Archived