VA or VF Noordam?

littledylansmom

Nearly all VA through VF verandahs are identical. Some exceptions are the handicap cabins at "the bends", the VA cabin verandahs at the stern which are much longer (some as much as 9 feet I'm told), and the VA far forward on deck 6: 6003 & 6004. The VF cabin verandahs on deck 4 (4005 > 4042) are the same size, but have steel wall railings rather than plexiglass, which obstruct the view when seated.

Similarly, nearly all VA -> VF cabins are identical inside. The exceptions again are the handicap cabins which have a slightly different arrangement, and the VAs at the stern which are slightly longer. :)

The VF and VE cabins on deck 5 overlook the lifeboats. The lifeboats do not obstruct the view outward, but they do obstruct the view downward. You won't be able to see anything happening at the waterline or on the dock right next to the ship, but then, what happens there the is interesting?

We had 5065 on the Oosterdam, which is a VF cabin on deck 5, overlooking the second lifeboat on the starboard side. We never found the lifeboats to be a problem, but some people are put off by their proximity.

As for the size of the balcony, I am six feet tall; therefore, my armspan is also six feet. I could stand on the balcony and just about touch the railing with one hand and the cabin wall with the other. There were two chairs and a small table. There is no room for more furniture. Two people can be very comfortable on the balcony. Three wouldn't be bad. Four or more would be a little crowded. Someone would have to move whenever one wanted to enter or exit the cabin.

I've never had a cabin with the solid steel railings. I can tell you that, when you sit in the chairs on the balcony, you are looking through the glass wall below the wooden railing cap. If you were in a cabin with the steel railing, your view would be blocked. Standing up at the railing, the railing came to my mid-chest; about "letter high", as they say in baseball. I would guess that the railing is about four feet high.

Paul Noble

And the triples and quads have slightly different furniture. Also, there's a handful of VFs on deck 5, approximately 5129 to 5138, that look down on davits rather than lifeboats or tenders, so their downward view is a bit better.

Just DON'T get a cabin that has the steel railings! You'll be standing the whole time if you want to view the water, etc. It was so wonderful to relax on the chairs & look through the plexiglass railing......

Also, there's a handful of VFs on deck 5, approximately 5129 to 5138, that look down on davits rather than lifeboats or tenders, so their downward view is a bit better.

JTL - What's a davit?

On Noordam, on Deck 4 behind the forward & aft elevators, just forward & aft of the humps, there are 4 VD cabins (16 total) with plexi balconies. These balconies stick out about 2.5ft extra so you get a bit more space. We liked ours so much that we booked the exact same cabin again.

Haven't sailed any other Vistas, but would guess they are similar.

JTL - What's a davit?[/quote]

dav·it

NOUN:

Any of various types of small cranes that project over the side of a ship and are used to hoist boats, anchors, and cargo.

ETYMOLOGY:

Middle English daviot, from Norman French daviot, diminutive of Davi, David

:D

Archived