Jewel - Best Time to Board to Avoid Lines

TexasMom2

I tried a search and couldn't come up with anything, so please forgive if this question has been answered already.

I'm taking Mom on the Jewel in December for her 65th birthday. I will be in the 6th week of recovery from surgery and Mom has complications from diabetes (nerve damage in feet and legs). I should be fine by then to walk a lot, but it is painful for Mom to walk or stand for long periods. She refuses to use a wheelchair or scooter just yet.

I am so pleased with the cabin we were able to get, central to the elevators on deck 7. The few excursions we plan to take won't have much walking or standing involved but will still afford us the ability to see great scenery and get off the ship and have fun.

My question concerns boarding at Port Everglades. What is the best time to get to the ship to avoid standing for a long time? Go earlier or later? Check-out time at our hotel is 11:00 a.m. but we could hang out there as long as we need to avoid the crowds. TIA for any help from recent or near future cruisers.

Hi Trina, I saw your posts on another thread and was going to jump in and ask you if you knew something we didn't --since your clock is showing 12/9/06 for the Jewel;) :D because I don't "want to miss the boat".

Have you jumped in our small but active rollcall? If not come on over. We're planning a gtg after we sail from Key West since it will be so early in the afternoon.

We (DH and I) and sailing companions (stoshman) are staying at the Hampton Inn Airport the night before (the 9th) and taking the hotel shuttle over to the pier about 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. That way we will try to beat the crowd. Where will you and your Mom be staying?

We're all on deck 7 also midship. Due to MS, I travel with a scooter and a wheelchair so we have an accessible cabin on starboard for this cruise.

Looking to see you onboard and having a great cruise.

My suggestion is to NOT go early. We hung out at the hotel in the moring and got to the port around 12:30pm. We literally walked right onto the ship. Yes, we were not the first on, but there were no lines at all. Make sure you have your Set Sail Pass and you should be able to avoid any lines.

I hate to say this but if your mom has troubles walking or standing for long periods of time then she really does need wheelchair assistance for boarding. No matter what time you go you risk ending up in lines. Each week is different. One week the lines will be when they first start boarding and the next week it might be closer to the end of the boarding time.

If she absolutely refuses a wheelchair, then may I suggest something called a Rollator, which is a walker but has a seat that you can sit down on.

Thanks for the quick replies. Wrona, is there a place to have Mom sit while I wait in line, if we encounter a line? I think she could handle 30 minutes to an hour but any more than that and I'm afraid she would be done for the day. It is silly to refuse a wheelchair or scooter, but she looks fine to everyone's eye and she doesn't look like she needs one to the naked eye. I made her use one at Costco once and she ran over me twice and knocked over a display. :p

Marilyn, I have been watching the roll call but was undecided about participating since we won't be getting around much. A meet & greet at Key West sounds like a great idea, though. I'll hop over to the roll call. I made a mistake on my countdown clock (9th), we are arriving on the 9th and staying at The Atlantic with Starwood points. It just about wiped out my points but it was all I could find at this late date.

So, it sounds like 12:30 or later is the best option?

Thanks for the quick replies. Wrona, is there a place to have Mom sit while I wait in line, if we encounter a line? I think she could handle 30 minutes to an hour but any more than that and I'm afraid she would be done for the day. It is silly to refuse a wheelchair or scooter, but she looks fine to everyone's eye and she doesn't look like she needs one to the naked eye. I made her use one at Costco once and she ran over me twice and knocked over a display. :p

Marilyn, I have been watching the roll call but was undecided about participating since we won't be getting around much. A meet & greet at Key West sounds like a great idea, though. I'll hop over to the roll call. I made a mistake on my countdown clock (9th), we are arriving on the 9th and staying at The Atlantic with Starwood points. It just about wiped out my points but it was all I could find at this late date.

So, it sounds like 12:30 or later is the best option?

Trina, no matter what time you get to the pier, you should be able to use the handicap line with your Mom and not have to wait. That's really why we're going over around 11:00 so we can be there when they open and get right through and try avoid the crowds. That's great that you're going with your Mom and I know both of you will have a great trip no matter how much you do or don't do. Your Mom and I can sit and watch, because I do a bunch of that:D :D

I was kidding you about your countdown clock;), a lot of posters start their clock on the date they arrive for their cruise instead of sailing date. I'm ready to go now but I guess we have to get through T'giving; a trip to Houston for dr. appointment and back to Houston for a family b'day party.

I have run into more than lines when arriving early--if the ship is late getting into port or has some issues with customs--a person might be waiting outside--not actually in line.

We now go after 12:30. Usually 1:00 PM. Get a late check-out at the hotel-usually free for the asking. Then make your way over to the pier.

Hi, Marilyn. The handicap line sounds like a great idea, but Mom doesn't "look" handicapped so it would probably take a lot of explaining to get in that line. I think we will go a little later, maybe 12:30 or 1:00.

BTW, I just love Lake Travis, we have spent many happy days on the lake, especially when my son was younger. You are so lucky to be living in Lago Vista with the beautiful views! We are looking at that area for our retirement home. It's just gorgeous.

If you go at 11ish........there shouldn't be much of a line other than the initial rush..........3pm would be a good time as well (I'm assuming your ship leaves at 5)..........

The thing about checking in........you just never know.

Do you have a suite? If so you can check in with the suites which will cut down on your wait as well.

Good luck.

Archived