Healesville & ? in Melbourne

djl45140

Any recommendations on a tour for a half day that would include healesville...i heard this is a great palce (better than Bonorong in Hobart?) to see wildlife...what else would be worh seeing if you had a half day...any suggested tour operators?

Thanks! Dan

Dan,

I just posted this under Hobart. Here it is again in case you didn't see it.

I would price hiring a driver in Melbourne as against doing a cruise tour as you would be able to do so much more on your own or with another couple.

We use Southern Cross Limos for all our needs. They are very competitive and I am sure you would get a good price from them. Here is their phone number in Melbourne: 61 3 9322 1212 and here is their website: http://www.vha.com.au/

You could incorporate the Yarra Valley and have lunch in a winery either before or after visiting the Sanctuary. Just a suggestion.

Jennie

Dan,

I just posted this under Hobart. Here it is again in case you didn't see it.

I would price hiring a driver in Melbourne as against doing a cruise tour as you would be able to do so much more on your own or with another couple.

We use Southern Cross Limos for all our needs. They are very competitive and I am sure you would get a good price from them. Here is their phone number in Melbourne: 61 3 9322 1212 and here is their website: http://www.vha.com.au/

You could incorporate the Yarra Valley and have lunch in a winery either before or after visiting the Sanctuary. Just a suggestion.

Jennie

Thank you...I will contact them...sounds like a good plan!

For any of you familiar with Melbourne, how does this sound (all via transportation on our own). Federation Square, Botanical Gardens, Yarra River, Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne Zoo & Museum. I know we probably won't have time for all that, depends on how long one stays at a museum or wants to shop. Would we be better off taking something like the Grayline Melbourne Explorer which stops at all these popular sites (thus eliminates our spending time getting lost/trying to figure things out) or could we find these places on our own via public transit at a fraction of the cost? One important point, we'll be in Melbourne on a Saturday, 9am-6pm. Thanks for any tips.

Southern Cross has offered to pick us up in Geelong (Melbourne was to busy for the Statendam on Jan. 7th) and return to ship, a total of 8 hours for four people for 742.00 AUD. We have complete control of where we go with ability to adapt.

A bit pricey, more than HAL's bus, but we like our independence.

For any of you familiar with Melbourne, how does this sound (all via transportation on our own). Federation Square, Botanical Gardens, Yarra River, Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne Zoo & Museum. I know we probably won't have time for all that, depends on how long one stays at a museum or wants to shop. Would we be better off taking something like the Grayline Melbourne Explorer which stops at all these popular sites (thus eliminates our spending time getting lost/trying to figure things out) or could we find these places on our own via public transit at a fraction of the cost? One important point, we'll be in Melbourne on a Saturday, 9am-6pm. Thanks for any tips.

Hi Erin,

Sounds like a good day - if a bit busy. I'm sure you will end up leaving out one or two things. All the places you mention are easy to get to using public transport - trams mostly, so that will be a fun part of your day.

Get an Daily Zone one ticket from the convenience store at the end of the pier and away you go. Total cost pp for the day is AUD6.10 (or thereabouts). (USD 4.60).

Timetables are pretty good on Saturdays.

Here's the link to Metlink for all you need to know:

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Have a great day in Melbourne.

Steve

:) Hi Erin,

Apologies re:sending brochures, I am unable to do that, but are on this website- www.valuetours.com.au or www.newzealand.com.au .

Time is slowly ticking away, not long now! We still haven't booked anything yet!

Your day in Melbourne sounds good. I wonder though if you would have enough time at the Melbourne Zoo. If you are in Sydney, perhaps you could do zoo there. The other attractions will be easily reached using trams. Richard plans on staying on the boat in Melbourne, Mikaela and I might go to Luna Park for a bit of fun! Not sure yet! Just cant make a decision.

Regards,

Michele:)

Erin,

Your plan is a little too adventuous. If you take out the Melbourne Zoo and a couple of other sites you will be fine though you will have to move.

Federation Square is not just a square but has the best Australian Art Gallery in the country. It is a must if you visit the square, therefore it will take you awhile to look through it. By the way it is free. The Yarra river runs right beside the Square and it is a pleasant walk down the river to the Rod Laver Centre where the Australian Tennis Championships are held each year.

The Botanical Gardens also run beside the river and there is a gate down at the corner of Alexandra Avenue and Domain Road where you can enter. This would save some time as you don't have to go all the way to South Yarra to access the gardens. The Botanical Gardens will also take up time as they are on lots of acres and are just beautiful. You could spend a couple of hours there easily.

Depending on if you are shopping or looking, Queen Victoria Market can also take up time. Being a Saturday it would be fun to go in the morning as the locals will be buying their fruit and vegetables, meat and fish and it is always fun to watch the stall holders.

The Museum is not far from the market and is a pleasant walk but again it can take a couple of hours to go through.

The Zoo is wonderful but is a little way out of the city and can take hours to see. If you particularly want to visit the Zoo then you would have to subtract the Botantical Gardens and a couple of other attractions.

The easiest way to see the sites, is to hop on the free tram or bus that goes right around the city. You will need to get yourself into the city first of all by using the light rail.

You really need a couple of days to visit all the places on your list.

Enjoy our lovely city and hopefully the weather will be kind.

Jennie

Thanks everyone for your input--I was afraid my day's itinerary might be a little unrealistic! Michele, I loved your links! OK, I admit maybe we'd better pass on the zoo. As was mentioned, the day's sightseeing could be dependent on the weather--that's why I like to keep things flexible and not commit/pay for tours in advance. Now I've read in Frommers that Melbourne is THE shopping city. Maybe we should just do that--something frivilous might be fun for a day. If we start feeling too guilty about missing out on cultural experiences, we could always stop in at a museum or the Botanic Gardens. Jennie & Steve, thanks for the logistics & transportation tips; I'm also very lucky to have Michele on my cruise for last minute help.

Erin,

You have read correctly. It is a wonderful shopping city - the best in Oz - and there are so many different areas in which to shop. Besides the central city area, we have great shopping in Bridge Road, Richmond which is only a short tram trip away. Another fantastic area is in Chapel Street, South Yarra which is also close to the city so you could combine the Botanical Gardens with shopping if time was running out.

We also have great restaurants so you could just eat the day away if you so inclined. As I mentioned above, you really need more than one day here.

Jennie

Archived