Carnival Cast Your Crew Contest- To good to be true!

serenity now

If I had won, I'd probably be asking everyone wanting to go along with me to kick in at least $250 apiece so that I would at least break even. What a bummer. At $250, it would be a bargain! I'll pay $250 if you take me. :-)

I WOULD BE READY TO GO... I AM GOING TO COSUMEL IN 23 DAYS AND CAN'T WAIT...LOL

If I had won, I'd probably be asking everyone wanting to go along with me to kick in at least $250 apiece so that I would at least break even. What a bummer. At $250, it would be a bargain! I'll pay $250 if you take me. :-)

I would pay $300 in a heartbeat to go on a cruise with friends and family.

It's the airfare from Maine that kills us.

Congratulations on your win! Guess my entry didn't "cast the crew".

I was going to enter, went to the site and felt I had a great story to share...then I read the terms and conditions. When I saw 5 cabins for 20 people and all the fees weren't included, I decided not to enter. The terms and conditions definitely were the reason I didn't enter.

My hubby and I won money on a game show years ago. We knew we would have to pay taxes on it, but at least with a cash prize you can set some aside. We did just that, but as it turned out, we bought a house that year too and the write off ended up absorbing what we owed for the cash prize. Not only did we get that cash prize but we got 3000 dollars back from our tax return that year. We just had great timing.

I am concerned that this might bump us into the 25% tax bracket which would make it expensive for friends to pay the difference in taxes.

Quick comment on the taxes - when you make enough money to get into the next tax bracket, you only pay the higher tax amount on the money that put you there. Example - say up to $20k is a 20% tax bracket, and up to $50k is a 25% tax bracket. If you make $23k, you're not going to be taxed 25% on the entire $23k. You'll get taxed 20% at $20k, and only the remaining $3k will be taxed at 25%.

I'm not a tax professional or anything, but I did a lot of reading on this as a poor college student, as I was worried about the same thing you are.

Good luck with the cruise, let us know who ends up going with you. :)

Archived