Cruising with grandchildren

We are thinking of taking 2 granddaughters, 11 and 12 years old, on a cruise. Has anyone done this? Do you have any suggestions? Cruise line? Itinarary? Side trips that they would enjoy? Is swimming with stingrays on Grand Cayman safe?

We would appreciate any and all feedback we can get.

Does anyone know of a site that would cater to this kind of thing?

Thanks for any tips.

My ten year old neice just got back from a cruise with her parents on Carnival. She loved the cruise, but what she really couldn't stop talking about was the stingrays. The stingrays were the highlight of her whole vacation. I would definitely recommend taking your granddaughters on the stingray tour. I know the Carnival Conquest has a really nice teen area called "Action Alley" that includes arcade games, music, and a smoothie bar. We just went on RCI's Rhapsody Of The Seas and our 2 girls loved it. They even built a volcano and made it explode while in the kids area. But I think the huge spiral waterslide on Carnival ships has their vote. We've had fun on both cruise lines. You probably won't go wrong either way. All cruise lines have kids areas and kids activities planned. Our family has a blast on the scavenger hunts. I would recommend doing that too. You might look at a few of the cruise reviews for the ships you're interested in to help you decide. Enjoy your cruise!

I took my then 4 year old grandson to Stingray City -- he is still talking about it also two years later. He was a good little cruiser also. He still remembers our cabin numbers. I highly recommend the sting rays. They are not harmful, and love to eat squid right out of your hand. Book the sting ray excursion now!

8/22/04 - Golden Princess!! - can't wait

Carnival or Royal Caribbean is great with kids. Be aware that Grand Cayman is the most skipped port because the seas can be rough and tendering impossible.

If you're taking the grandkids without their parents, you will need signed and notarized letters from the parents (both parents) giving you permission to take the kids out of the country. This letter must also give you permission to make emergency decisions for the kids, especially medical decisions.

We're taking our two granddaughters on Carnival's Triumph next March. At the time of sailing they'll be 10 & 7.

When it was time to start planning, I only considered Carnival, RCCL and Princess due to the positive feedback on their children's programs. And we chose a suite because we will likely be spending more time in the cabin than we normally do. Their parents are getting a notarized travel letter that includes giving us the authority to make medical decisions. Passports aren't required for this cruise, but their parents will get them anyway as well as cancellation and medical insurance. These two are very active and accident prone. :rolleyes:

I had some excursions in mind, but asked the girls for their input as well. So, we have planned to swim with the sting rays in Cayman, river tubing in Ochos Rios and Paradise Beach in Cozumel. DH and I have done all of these activities before, so we know they are kid-friendly and safe. Even though they are both excellent swimmers, we'll make them wear life-jackets in Cayman and Jamaica.

Beth

Hi

Thank you so much for the prompt replys. I was really concerned about the stingrays. I worry that they sting. I think Carnival will be agood choice. I've heard that Camp Carnival is pretty good and I know they will love the slide.

I think they will probably be getting passports. I haven't mentioned it to the girls yet. They are 2 cousins that don't get to be together much. I think it will be fun for all of us.

Thanks again. I'm open to any other tips you have. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi, We cruise with our daughters 10 & 12 and we bring the grandparents. Next March we will take our 3rd cruise, my girls have always had a wonderful time , previously we have cruised Carnival our next cruise will be on the Dawn Princess. We swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, my oldest daughter loved it, but for the a great deal of the time clung to my husbands back, sort of piggyback, my younger daughter got in the water but was really scared and got back in the boat right away. The stingrays are big, even some adults wouldn't get in, but then again some small children loved it. It is a good shore trip just be aware that some kids may be a little intimidated.

That's what we did. I was also a little concerned about my younger GD because she's just a wee little thing. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about the stingrays, so I asked her. Now she can hardly wait! The only concession they made for Grandma was to wear life jackets. :)

I may come back from this cruise a much older woman. :D

Beth

I know what you mean. Will wait until we are back then I'll hit the bottle. Or maybe hubby and I can take turns.

Still working on reluctant son-in-law. He's a worrier.

I think they will have a ball. Will definitly sign them up for camp. I'm picking up my brochures tomorrow.

We took our 12-year-old granddaughter on a 5-day Majesty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) cruise in June and she loved it. RCL has a fun program for the 12-14 year olds. She immediately met some other girls in the program and spent about every waking moment with her new gang. Majesty has a tall climbing wall on the ship that she thoroughly enjoyed, also. CocoCay (RCL's private island) is great for kids, too, with excellent snorkeling and a "water park" with all sorts of floating trampolines, climbing castle, etc.

Cruisead gave some very good advice about bring notarized letters signed by both parents of your granddaughters, giving you permission to take them on a cruise, assigning you as their legal guardian for the duration of the cruise, and authorizing you to seek any necessary medical treatment. Make sure you get trip insurance for everyone, too, as US medical cards aren't accepted on the ship or at port.

You folks are the best. Keep all this advice coming. I wonder if there is a fast rule about the ages for the camp groups. I don't want to split the girls up. One will be 11 the other 12. They are cousins that don't get together very often. If they could both be in the 12 to 14 group it would be good. Actually the 11 yr old is the more mature. Any one ever had to deal with is situation?

I'm not sure about all cruise lines, but I understand Carnival will allow the older child to go down 1 level, but not the other way around. Your GDs are so close in age, they may very well wind up in the same group.

Have you talked your SIL into it yet?

Beth

SiL is thinking it over. Very overprotective type.

Trying to decide between Carnival and RCCL. Hubby thinks Carnival is better for the kids. I like RCCL. We have to leave from NY because we will be there for the summer. Itinerary not too good from here.

An thoughts on this?

Even though I preferred the western Carribean for the excursions, I was more concerned with the ship. That's where they would be spending most of their time. It had to have enough activities to keep them busy. Or else Grandma was going to have to do ALL the entertaining. :eek: No counting on Grandpa for a lot. Men are so out of their element when it comes to this. :rolleyes: We chose Carnival and got a great children's program and our preferred route.

Beth

Archived